News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 28, 2023, 03:29:23 AM
Quote from: need4swede on April 28, 2023, 01:55:50 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 26, 2023, 03:49:12 PMGiganotosaurus is quickly becoming the "Spinosaurus" in terms of production pieces by the various companies.

That's a great point.Curious to see how this changes the landscape for the Spino, as I've always thought JP's exposure has turned the animal into somewhat of a villain of sorts. If the Giga is the new 'Big, Bad Dinosaur' on the block, I wonder if the Spino has enough wiggle room to escape being depicted solely as a monster. I know it's common to depict theropods as baddies, but I always felt like the Spino ventured into monster territory in ways that the TRex never did - and perhaps the Giga will finally allow it to retire from that role.

Retire? That's like wondering if Bela Lugosi will stop being forever associated with his monster roles. Uh... No? Spinosaurus will always be a predator and a strange-looking one at that, so I doubt they'll be anything but monstrous on film.

Yes, and the JW Giga didn't really come off as much of a character as the Spinosaurus which had a whole Captain Hook/Crocodile vibe going..made it a great character. If we had a truly great Hook human villain in the film then it's quite likely the Spino could have been a hero or at least anti-villain.

Eatmycar

I don't see a JW resemblance with the lipped one at all. It just looks like the usual hyper-detailed Rebor style to me.

The lipless one, though? Good grief. It's funny to see the JW Giga without its trademark hump, not gonna lie. I never liked the design of that creature, it just stands out SO much (in a bad way, mind you) from the Jurassic Park animals around it. If they wanted to make a beefed up design out of Giganotosaurus, they could've referenced the regular adult Giganotosaurus from The Isle rather than making it half Concavenator or whatever their goal was there.

Eatmycar

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 28, 2023, 03:45:29 AM...the JW Giga didn't really come off as much of a character as the Spinosaurus which had a whole Captain Hook/Crocodile vibe going..made it a great character. If we had a truly great Hook human villain in the film then it's quite likely the Spino could have been a hero or at least anti-villain.

It's funny you mention this. Monstrous design aside, the JW Giga behaves like an actual animal in that film. We see it sleeping in two shots even. No such thing for the T. rex unless sedated, or Spino.

Paleo Flo

Quote from: Eatmycar on April 28, 2023, 04:45:31 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 28, 2023, 03:45:29 AM...the JW Giga didn't really come off as much of a character as the Spinosaurus which had a whole Captain Hook/Crocodile vibe going..made it a great character. If we had a truly great Hook human villain in the film then it's quite likely the Spino could have been a hero or at least anti-villain.

It's funny you mention this. Monstrous design aside, the JW Giga behaves like an actual animal in that film. We see it sleeping in two shots even. No such thing for the T. rex unless sedated, or Spino.

That was what I thought when watching JWD. I think it is not a monster. And I don't see the necessarity of killing it. The hole plot of a revengebased thread between Giga and Rex was dumb as hell.  Very bad writing. Especially when you see the open world possibilities based on the end of JWFK.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 28, 2023, 07:37:36 AM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 28, 2023, 07:34:07 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 28, 2023, 03:42:53 AM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 27, 2023, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 26, 2023, 03:49:12 PMAfter seeing the JW Giga in so much media it's going to keep getting referenced and inevitably compared to every other Giga made.  They did use a skull and skeleton in the making of the JW one so it did have a scientific base at least and possibly why more realistic, simplistic Giga reconstructions look like it.

I like where Rebor is going with the lipped version as I have two really nice JW Gigas in my collection and will have 5 by the time all my preorders come in over the years. So I'm pretty full up on them unless Mattel makes a Hammond Collection version.

Giganotosaurus is quickly becoming the "Spinosaurus" in terms of production pieces by the various companies. I have really enough of them and it would take something truly exciting to knock any of my current ones off their pedestal.

its a good point and ofc they used the " skull" ( gigas skull is fragmentary and filled in already by either old version allosaurus and now meraxes gigas)
the JW used an older more elongated reconstruction , but way more importantly its artistic licenses, its spikyness , crest,indominus like teeth and especially those specific snake like slit eyes that suppose to make it more "evil " looking as its the JW dominion  villain dinosaur, is a specific detail almost no other "accurate" model holds, nor is it rly defendable as giga is most likely a day or crepescular hunter, slit eyes are mostly for nocturnal behaviors, also birdlike eyes are way more likely in basicly all scenarios, which just means rounded with pupils

Artistic license is important for a company to trademark a design. That said I also like to see different interpretations and styles. How boring our collections would be if only one artist created a reconstruction from only the material left.  There are daylight hunting animals with slit pupils so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

literally everything u said is true and i dont disagree, all i wanted to state is rebors Giganoto takes inspiration from JW giga , basicly an " accurate" attempt at that moviemonster. all gigas i named have different artistic licenses, yet none resemble the JW giganotosaurus since that is quite distinct for better or worse- again not a bad thing in opposite, if its color resembles the JW Giga i will buy lipless aswell as i want a figure close to it , but nanmu costs an arm and a leg in germany

also interrested since what animals u mean ? snakes almost always are creposcular and the diurnal vipers it is more of an evolutionarya leftover and to avoid eyedamage cause they have no eyelids.Crocs can hunt at day but none are diurnal they wait til animals come to them , they dont care when. so if lips are necessary and we agree they had those, we can agree slit eyes on dinos def are aswell they serve no real purpose on a giant predator that hunts at daytime since it makes u sorta nearsighted.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 28, 2023, 07:40:50 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 26, 2023, 03:49:12 PMAfter seeing the JW Giga in so much media it's going to keep getting referenced and inevitably compared to every other Giga made.  They did use a skull and skeleton in the making of the JW one so it did have a scientific base at least and possibly why more realistic, simplistic Giga reconstructions look like it.

I like where Rebor is going with the lipped version as I have two really nice JW Gigas in my collection and will have 5 by the time all my preorders come in over the years. So I'm pretty full up on them unless Mattel makes a Hammond Collection version.

Giganotosaurus is quickly becoming the "Spinosaurus" in terms of production pieces by the various companies. I have really enough of them and it would take something truly exciting to knock any of my current ones off their pedestal.

its a good point and ofc they used the " skull" ( gigas skull is fragmentary and filled in already by either old version allosaurus and now meraxes gigas)
the JW used an older more elongated reconstruction , but way more importantly its artistic licenses, its spikyness , crest,indominus like teeth and especially those specific snake like slit eyes that suppose to make it more "evil " looking as its the JW dominion  villain dinosaur, is a specific detail almost no other "accurate" model holds, nor is it rly defendable as giga is most likely a day or crepescular hunter, slit eyes are mostly for nocturnal behaviors, also birdlike eyes are way more likely in basicly all scenarios, which just means rounded with pupils

Artistic license is important for a company to trademark a design. That said I also like to see different interpretations and styles. How boring our collections would be if only one artist created a reconstruction from only the material left.  There are daylight hunting animals with slit pupils so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

literally everything u said is true and i dont disagree, all i wanted to state is rebors Giganoto takes inspiration from JW giga , basicly an " accurate" attempt at that moviemonster. all gigas i named have different artistic licenses, yet none resemble the JW giganotosaurus since that is quite distinct for better or worse- again not a bad thing in opposite, if its color resembles the JW Giga i will buy lipless aswell as i want a figure close to it , but nanmu costs an arm and a leg in germany

also interrested since what animals u mean ? snakes almost always are creposcular and the diurnal vipers it is more of an evolutionarya leftover and to avoid eyedamage cause they have no eyelids.Crocs can hunt at day but none are diurnal they wait til animals come to them , they dont care when. so if lips are necessary and we agree they had those, we can agree slit eyes on dinos def are aswell they serve no real purpose on a giant predator that hunts at daytime since it makes u sorta nearsighted.

I was off the top of my head thinking of a few types of geckos and house cats, both tend to hunt at any time they feel like it.  I know it's considered to be more of a throwback trait now in dinosaurs but maybe not totally improper?

Carnoking

Maybe I'm misinformed but aren't slit pupils attributes of smaller predators that hunt low to the ground (I.e., geckos and housecats) as this helps them peer through vertical foliage?

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 28, 2023, 03:23:39 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 28, 2023, 07:34:07 AMI was off the top of my head thinking of a few types of geckos and house cats, both tend to hunt at any time they feel like it.  I know it's considered to be more of a throwback trait now in dinosaurs but maybe not totally improper?

Cats are nocturnal/crepescular in nature, they just tend to be awake when u are in captivity, most big cats have round eyes. geckos are actually a great example of why dinos prob did not have slit eyes. geckos evolutionarely came from an ancestor that was nocturnal - slit eyes evolved, on the diurnal geckos they either dont have slit eyes ( daygeckos) , or theire more of a hinderence they cant avoid anymore.

slit eyes help animals concentrate light into smaller surfaces, allowing more light to be catched when theres less around - nightvision. it also allows improved close vision. the downsides are really bad nearsight and a loss of detail ,something that atleast from my research would be devastating for charcharodontosaurs, who hunt smaller faster prey at full daylight , and have long snouts where the slits wouldnt connect and only give em 30 degree vision on each side.

sorry i may overtake it its just weird how lips become a massive issue , but eyes are whatever looks cooler

thedeadlymoose

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 28, 2023, 03:23:39 PM

I was off the top of my head thinking of a few types of geckos and house cats, both tend to hunt at any time they feel like it.  I know it's considered to be more of a throwback trait now in dinosaurs but maybe not totally improper?

Small addition: cats are primarily "dawn and dusk" hunters, and that's what they're best adapted to. But it's true that they hunt at any time they feel like, including both day and night, on top of that.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I believe we have diverged a bit from the topic of Rebor in general. Suffice to say I don't claim to have to any particular knowledge one way of the other, just entertaining possibilities.

need4swede

Quote from: Eatmycar on April 28, 2023, 04:45:31 AM

I never watched all of JWD, but I'm glad to hear that a large theropod is being depicted as more than just a monster. I never liked the way the JW films anthropomorphized the dinosaurs, but JP3 was borderline a horror movie - whether it was the Spino, the raptors or the pterosaurs. The Spino even got its own musical motif with that phone ringtone.

As for the Rebor Giga - I can see the JW resemblance with the lipless version, but it's not like the JW Giga was based on thin air. It's different enough, I'd say - sort of like their King Rex, which sort of looks like it's related to Rexy but with a Rebor twist to it. I personally prefer Rebor's interpretation over JW's. 
- Swede

Over9K

Meanwhile, at the Legion Of Doom...

QuoteREBOR 1:35 Giganotosaurus carolinii Cars
REBOR 1:35 Giganotosaurus carolinii Cars Ultimate Lifeform

T-poses are finished, time to transpose!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like the osteoderms and scale patterns of the Cars ult lifeform..but I will probably get the regular edition. Ultimate looks close to a JW Giga without actually being one so I don't really need a midway point I don't think?

Carnoking

Cars is looking promising. Interested to see it posed and painted up, although I'm sure it won't be until next year that these guys will be ready to go out. Come to think of it, it was about this time last year that we started seeing their diplodocus sculpt, and that's now starting to show up in collections.

postsaurischian

???  Has anybody an idea why a Dinosaur is called "Cars"?
   Is it the 80s pop band? Is there any relation?

Dinoxels

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 06, 2023, 04:25:06 PM???  Has anybody an idea why a Dinosaur is called "Cars"?
I've heard its a Jo Jo reference.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 06, 2023, 07:41:53 AMI like the osteoderms and scale patterns of the Cars ult lifeform..but I will probably get the regular edition. Ultimate looks close to a JW Giga without actually being one so I don't really need a midway point I don't think?

thx u put into words how i feel about the lipless, it hits so midway it feels almost uncanney

suspsy

The Ultimate looks hideously ugly, even without that stupid hump on its back.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Dinoxels on May 06, 2023, 05:43:33 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on May 06, 2023, 04:25:06 PM???  Has anybody an idea why a Dinosaur is called "Cars"?
I've heard its a Jo Jo reference.
I would reckon its a reference to the band actually, i'm pretty sure Rebor does it a lot. Its just that JoJo also was known for referencing bands as well.

Bread

I wonder why such a drastic difference in the models? Kiss and Tusk were pretty much identical excluding the colorscheme and presence of lips.

I feel as though the non-lipped version is going to sell a lot less even when compared to Tusk. It's pretty much a JW copy (imo).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: