News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

Quote from: suspsy on April 04, 2015, 04:20:29 PM
Quote from: ARUL on April 04, 2015, 02:27:16 AM
Quote from: suspsy on April 04, 2015, 02:24:46 AM
Meh. The REBOR Acrocanthosaurus looks good, but if you'd told me it was a Papo product, I'd have believed it.

Hahaha how could it be suspsy  :))

Because it looks like a Papo product?

Indeed, that's how I saw REBOR long before they started posting here. Same level of superb detail as Papo, same issues with scientific accuracy, but considerably more expensive. And that's why I personally choose to stick with Papo, even if it weren't for REBOR's rudeness.

Emm yes rebor is more expensive but i think its very worth...they explain, that is because rebor figure consist of one solid piece with better material+diorama+educational card+classy box. Papo made from pvc material and consist of couples pieces, and dont give us anything but the figure itself sometimes with cardboard or plastic to prevent it from bending.

Dinoguy2

Meh. The REBOR Acrocanthosaurus looks good, but if you'd told me it was a Papo product, I'd have believed it.

Indeed, that's how I saw REBOR long before they started posting here. Same level of superb detail as Papo, same issues with scientific accuracy, but considerably more expensive. And that's why I personally choose to stick with Papo, even if it weren't for REBOR's rudeness.

Looking at this picture I think I figured out what's bugging me most about the Rebor and Papo style figures. The skin. The scales are big, lumpy, and distributed in random patterns. It makes it look unnatural and or inspired by comic book illustrations where the artists draw in some random scales here or there to give the illusion of texture.

In any real animal, the skin texture will be evenly distributed with some kind of pattern to it. Even in Triceratops, which has  coarse lumpy scales like this Acro, the larger scales are distributed in evenly spaced rows among the smaller scales. In most dinosaurs, there is an even covering of pavement scales that are very fine, with rows of evenly spaced round scutes surrounded by circles of rosettes of smaller scales. There's always a pattern of some kind.

Here, the large, lumpy scales are spiked randomly with larger scales of irregular shapes. The belly is covered in rope like wrinkles one scute wide, not a smooth, flat, croc like covering, the skin hugs the contours of muscles like Superman's suit. It even seems to be wearing Ninja a Turtle style knee pads. I think more than anything, the skin is what makes this seem more like a comic book illustration than a breathing animal.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 04, 2015, 08:37:07 PM

It even seems to be wearing Ninja a Turtle style knee pads.

Agreed with you up to a certain point, then you got silly. Let's just wait for the colored photos, okay?  ;)

Patrx

Quote from: Sim on April 04, 2015, 03:15:01 PM
Quote from: Patrx on April 03, 2015, 07:02:37 PM
Awesomebro: An aesthetic paradigm which exaggerates or invents strange, dramatic and/or dangerous aspects of prehistoric life, sometimes ignoring research or referring to outdated ideas.
Hehe!  That's a great description Patrx!  :))

Hah, thanks  :D It is a little verbose, I'm afraid.

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 04, 2015, 04:36:27 PM
Perhaps we're taking the phrase "museum quality" the wrong way.  It seems like we're using it to say that the models are being purported to be 100% accurate.  Perhaps "museum quality" means like an artistic rendition like some dioramas that museums used to feature(haven't been to a museum in a long time, especially one with dinosaurs).  The ones that look really nice, but are pretty much outdated the minute they're done.

You might be interested in perusing the thread we had on that topic awhile back  :)

Sim

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 04, 2015, 04:36:27 PM
EDIT: Perhaps we're taking the phrase "museum quality" the wrong way.  It seems like we're using it to say that the models are being purported to be 100% accurate.  Perhaps "museum quality" means like an artistic rendition like some dioramas that museums used to feature(haven't been to a museum in a long time, especially one with dinosaurs).  The ones that look really nice, but are pretty much outdated the minute they're done.  Museum quality art rather than 100% accurate recreations.
No matter how much the phrase "museum quality" is abused, I believe it implies a reconstruction will reflect excellent research and knowledge that went into it, as a highly accurate reconstruction (at the time it was made at least) that is intended to show a real animal that once lived, rather than a fictional animal.  I certainly don't expect it to be Jurassic Park inspired.  Why would a museum have a reconstruction of a Yutyrannus with much less feathers than it's known to have?  Or a Utahraptor with a JP Velociraptor head (that head is very un-dromaeosaur like)?  Why would a "museum quality" reconstruction decide to add JP T. rex crests over the eyes of an Acrocanthosaurus reconstruction?  None of the Rebor figures are outdated, they all have inaccuracies that could be identified as soon as they were shown to us.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 04, 2015, 09:10:15 PM

Agreed with you up to a certain point, then you got silly. Let's just wait for the colored photos, okay?  ;)

Haha, I'm not saying literally, like they're gonna be purple, but look at the shape and texture around the knee, that's what it looks like. What is that supposed to be?

MechaKnifehead

What did you call that model?  Oh no you didn't!  That's OUR word!

Seriously though, museum quality is the new swear.  Almost as filthy out of some people's mouths as Y-Rex out of anyone's mouth.  Honestly, if you're so intent on raking them over the coals over their usage of the phrase "museum quality", perhaps you can take it to mean "art museum quality".  I swear there was less nit picking at the chimp exhibit the last time I went to the zoo.

I'd like to see someone try to argue that these statues aren't art too, lol.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 04, 2015, 11:07:39 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on April 04, 2015, 09:10:15 PM

Haha, I'm not saying literally, like they're gonna be purple, but look at the shape and texture around the knee, that's what it looks like. What is that supposed to be?

Pareidolia.

tanystropheus

Quote from: MechaKnifehead on April 04, 2015, 11:17:31 PM

Seriously though, museum quality is the new swear.  Almost as filthy out of some people's mouths as Y-Rex out of anyone's mouth.  Honestly, if you're so intent on raking them over the coals over their usage of the phrase "museum quality", perhaps you can take it to mean "art museum quality".  I swear there was less nit picking at the chimp exhibit the last time I went to the zoo.

Also, the subtle distinction between 'museum class' and 'museum quality' (akin to 'board eligible' and 'board certified').

DinoToyForum

The moderators have agreed to reduce Jurassic Jace's ban to 30 days after we received an apology from him. We took into account that he was a newbie and this was a first offence.  C:-)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 04, 2015, 11:28:51 PM
Quote from: MechaKnifehead on April 04, 2015, 11:17:31 PM

Also, the subtle distinction between 'museum class' and 'museum quality' (akin to 'board eligible' and 'board certified').

There is a separate thread for this discussion C:-) : http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2556.0

suspsy

Quote from: ARUL on April 04, 2015, 06:39:38 PM
Emm yes rebor is more expensive but i think its very worth...they explain, that is because rebor figure consist of one solid piece with better material+diorama+educational card+classy box. Papo made from pvc material and consist of couples pieces, and dont give us anything but the figure itself sometimes with cardboard or plastic to prevent it from bending.

Again, my response to that can be summed up with a "meh." Perhaps that will change in time, but as it stands, REBOR simply doesn't impress me enough. I'd much rather spend my hard-earned cash on CollectA, Papo, and Wild Safari. And the few remaining Carnegies I need.

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 04, 2015, 08:37:07 PMLooking at this picture I think I figured out what's bugging me most about the Rebor and Papo style figures. The skin. The scales are big, lumpy, and distributed in random patterns. It makes it look unnatural and or inspired by comic book illustrations where the artists draw in some random scales here or there to give the illusion of texture.

In any real animal, the skin texture will be evenly distributed with some kind of pattern to it. Even in Triceratops, which has  coarse lumpy scales like this Acro, the larger scales are distributed in evenly spaced rows among the smaller scales. In most dinosaurs, there is an even covering of pavement scales that are very fine, with rows of evenly spaced round scutes surrounded by circles of rosettes of smaller scales. There's always a pattern of some kind.

Dang. I'd say you just hit the nail dead center on the head.

QuoteHere, the large, lumpy scales are spiked randomly with larger scales of irregular shapes. The belly is covered in rope like wrinkles one scute wide, not a smooth, flat, croc like covering, the skin hugs the contours of muscles like Superman's suit. It even seems to be wearing Ninja a Turtle style knee pads. I think more than anything, the skin is what makes this seem more like a comic book illustration than a breathing animal.

I think Acro would look good with red pads and a couple of sais. ;)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Arul

I have an advice for REBOR  :D your figure are great (paint, sculpt, etc) REBOR i hope you keep your quality control. My favorite part is i love how the king trex teeth sculpted and painted. What i or maybe we dont like from a company is the company cant maintain the quality control (the paint job, sometime on the articulated jaw, or a standing issue), it make dissapointed. plus i actually hope someday you will answer about the people who keep complaining about utahraptor which they said the jaw is touching the diorama, only you who can answer that hehehe thanks :)

tanystropheus

I don't think scutes have to be 100% uniform, but it would be nice if they are smaller in size. Check out this specimen:

http://www.robinsonlibrary.com/science/zoology/reptiles/squamata/sauria/graphics/crocodile.jpg

ddidiodion

I just hope the teeth are more like the King T-Rex and less like the Yutyrannus. Nothing puts me off a figure like poorly sculpted teeth.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 05, 2015, 02:55:57 AM
I don't think scutes have to be 100% uniform, but it would be nice if they are smaller in size. Check out this specimen:

http://www.robinsonlibrary.com/science/zoology/reptiles/squamata/sauria/graphics/crocodile.jpg
Even there, there's a basic pattern, with the large scales forming evenly spaced lines down the back, and becoming more densely packed towards the belly. I'm not saying lumpy large scales are bad (though they are technically wrong for most dinosaurs), just that the randomness of it makes it seem like texture sculpted for textured sake, not for the sake of realism.

I definitely prefer the Rebor style to the little indented circles on some smaller scale models, but it would be nice if, were a company going to devote some effort to detail, they actually base that detail on some real biological specimens, not just sculpt what they think it should look like.

Concavenator

Quote from: Manatee on April 01, 2015, 11:32:22 AM
Looks like REBOR is sticking to their word...

Naturally, reactions on the Facebook page were primarily
QuoteThis shoule be real!
I don't how is this funny.This is an insult aimed at us DTF members.Remember what they said about awesomebro?

tyrantqueen

QuoteI don't how is this funny.This is an insult aimed at us DTF members.Remember what they said about awesomebro?
Nah it's an April Fool's joke. Not worth getting upset over. Just let it slide off of you like water on a duck's back :)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Concavenator on April 05, 2015, 02:51:21 PMI don't how is this funny.This is an insult aimed at us DTF members.Remember what they said about awesomebro?
This was also my initial thought, but it seems like a little much for them to get done in that short amount of time.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 05, 2015, 03:32:17 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on April 05, 2015, 02:51:21 PMI don't how is this funny.This is an insult aimed at us DTF members.Remember what they said about awesomebro?
This was also my initial thought, but it seems like a little much for them to get done in that short amount of time.
Honestly took it as a compliment, one of the more accurate models I had seen them propose................
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: