You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Ceratosaurus dentisulcatus Museum Class Replica “Savage” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, February 04, 2015, 01:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joossa

I don't know if I will be trying to treat the leg issue quite yet.

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on May 02, 2015, 08:25:56 AM
Quote from: joossa on May 02, 2015, 05:33:52 AM
Now the more serious issue. The legs are warped and angled toward each other. This makes it impossible to have the figure stand on a flat, level surface. On the base, the figure's feet do not sit on the indents meant to provide support for the model at all. I could balance it on the base, but it result on the feet looking "off", sometimes hovering in the air and also results in the figure being in a less than ideal angle on the base.

Obviously, the pictures from the previous post show the model balanced on the base, but you'll notice the position of the legs is off and no where on the "mud indents" of the base. Also note that when one foot is level, the other is completely off and unable to provide support and balance.

Let me be clear.... My figure will NOT stand on a flat level surface. I used my finger to keep it from falling on it's side in the pictures when it's off the base.

I'm sorry but I did not understand one thing.  ???
It's clear that the figure does not stand on a flat surface.
But is it possible to balance the figure on its base in some position (without the heat treatment) even if not the best way ?
Or did the figure stay unbalanced even on its base?  :-\
Please, let me know   :)
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

On a flat surface, the model will not stand by itself at all.

On the base, the model's feet will not fit into the mud indentations  of the base (the warping makes it impossible to position the feet there) making it difficult to have the model stand on the base. However, the base has an uneven surface with bits raised here and there. So, I was able to find a position where I could make him stand on the base by himself (as shown in some of the pictures)... but it comes with some downsides like one foot being supported by only one toe and giving the appearance of the foot hovering over the base and not on the ground. Another downside is less than ideal and limited positions on base that work, like having a foot partially on the water giving the appearance as if he's walking on the water. And the worst downside is that the legs are downright too warped and even after finding a position to make him stand on the base by himself, he still has balance issues, so one bump to the base or desk or shelf they are on and down he goes.

All of this is without any kind of heat treatment.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

postsaurischian

::) :( Oh no, not another one!
Now I'm waiting for mine with mixed feelings.
Why do all these "great" video reviews never see any flaws with these figures?

I will definitely send mine back if it has these problems - it might be the only way to draw REBOR's attention to it.
They seem to take no notice of the criticism as long as people buy their products.

Wingrave27

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 02, 2015, 09:18:24 AM

I will definitely send mine back if it has these problems - it might be the only way to draw REBOR's attention to it.
They seem to take no notice of the criticism as long as people buy their products.

The ones sent out for review are probably the best of the batch,once the reviewers have praised them up to ensure they keep receiving their free samples then their advertising is all done and everyone assumes they will get a decent product.
Contacting Rebor just results in no comment whatsoever.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: joossa on May 02, 2015, 08:52:20 AM
I don't know if I will be trying to treat the leg issue quite yet.

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on May 02, 2015, 08:25:56 AM
Quote from: joossa on May 02, 2015, 05:33:52 AM
Now the more serious issue. The legs are warped and angled toward each other. This makes it impossible to have the figure stand on a flat, level surface. On the base, the figure's feet do not sit on the indents meant to provide support for the model at all. I could balance it on the base, but it result on the feet looking "off", sometimes hovering in the air and also results in the figure being in a less than ideal angle on the base.

Obviously, the pictures from the previous post show the model balanced on the base, but you'll notice the position of the legs is off and no where on the "mud indents" of the base. Also note that when one foot is level, the other is completely off and unable to provide support and balance.

Let me be clear.... My figure will NOT stand on a flat level surface. I used my finger to keep it from falling on it's side in the pictures when it's off the base.

I'm sorry but I did not understand one thing.  ???
It's clear that the figure does not stand on a flat surface.
But is it possible to balance the figure on its base in some position (without the heat treatment) even if not the best way ?
Or did the figure stay unbalanced even on its base?  :-\
Please, let me know   :)
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

On a flat surface, the model will not stand by itself at all.

On the base, the model's feet will not fit into the mud indentations  of the base (the warping makes it impossible to position the feet there) making it difficult to have the model stand on the base. However, the base has an uneven surface with bits raised here and there. So, I was able to find a position where I could make him stand on the base by himself (as shown in some of the pictures)... but it comes with some downsides like one foot being supported by only one toe and giving the appearance of the foot hovering over the base and not on the ground. Another downside is less than ideal and limited positions on base that work, like having a foot partially on the water giving the appearance as if he's walking on the water. And the worst downside is that the legs are downright too warped and even after finding a position to make him stand on the base by himself, he still has balance issues, so one bump to the base or desk or shelf they are on and down he goes.

All of this is without any kind of heat treatment.

Crystal clear!  ^-^
Thank you.

REBOR_STUDIO

Plastic deformations happen to all PVC models and figures, Marvel legend, NECA, Mcfarlane, Marvel select, Hasbro, Mezco, Playart Kai, Tomy Direct, even Hottoys, among thousands of figures and models in the market, price range from 9.99 Pounds to 299.99 Pounds, 70% of them have the flaws, that's why hot water/hair dryer trick is so popular among collectors, if this is something new to you, please check the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfUUEax7EY4

By using this trick the standing problem of Ceratosaurus can be fixed in 30 seconds. The cause of the problem is the pressing force of foam, since the bases are made of Polystone, which is a very brittle material, we have to use foam to protect them; it also prevents collisions between models during the transportation, which lead to paint damages that can be commonly found in other models.

Cetaosaurus Savage is a GK level model, it took us tons of efforts to make the mass production even become possible, and please consider it is a non-profit product, if you have to know, the production cost of the polystone base is more expensive than the production cost of Papo T-rex, we are simply spending our own money to make these models to share with other dinosaur enthusiasts,  but no matter how hard we try, we still can't change laws of Physics and material properties, therefore we would like to ask for your forgiveness. :)

ZaZZU2

Quote from: joossa on May 02, 2015, 05:33:23 AM

Size comparison shots

Thanks for the size comparison shots! Ordered mine yesterday, hopefully the issues regarding the legs won't be as severe or just absent altogether.  :) At least Rebor acknowledged the problem in the last post...  ^-^

joossa

Quote from: ZaZZU2 on May 03, 2015, 01:49:18 PM
Quote from: joossa on May 02, 2015, 05:33:23 AM

Size comparison shots

Thanks for the size comparison shots! Ordered mine yesterday, hopefully the issues regarding the legs won't be as severe or just absent altogether.  :) At least Rebor acknowledged the problem in the last post...  ^-^

Report back letting us know if yours has the same issue as well.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on May 02, 2015, 11:27:06 AM

Ceratosaurus Savage is a GK level model, it took us tons of efforts to make the mass production even become possible, and please consider it is a non-profit product, if you have to know, the production cost of the polystone base is more expensive than the production cost of Papo T-rex, we are simply spending our own money to make these models to share with other dinosaur enthusiasts,  but no matter how hard we try, we still can't change laws of Physics and material properties, therefore we would like to ask for your forgiveness. :)
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on May 02, 2015, 07:13:07 PM

We are not professional manufactures like Papo or Sideshow, we are just a group of dinosaur enthusiasts who want to share our works with the world, like John Hammond said, we spared no expense to make these models become possible, that means we are spending our own money to make gifts for you, you should be able to understand the cost after we explained the whole manufacturing process in detail. Please stop comparing us with Papo, one piece injection molding is insanely expensive, and we don't even want to talk about cost of mold itself, not to mention all the polystone bases, true, polystone isn't gold, but isn't cheap either, so if you are imagining us sitting behind the desk and counting money, wrong and wrong, in fact 2 REBOR members have quit from the team, since they believed they were doing the right thing but all they have felt is disappointment, they don't want to spend their own money just to get blamed anymore, and to be honest this thought is now with all other memebers, after all we have no obligation to continue the brand, and we could shut down REBOR permanently at any time, all molds and existing products will be recalled and destroyed, all future projects including Acrocanthosaurus will be cancelled, existing prototype sculptures such as Allosaurus,Carnotaurus,Triceratops, Mosasaurus, Brachiosaurus,Protoceratops VS Velociraptors will all be destroyed. We love what we do but now we just don't want to do it anymore.

Sorry REBOR! I feel pretty bad now after I have read your remarks. You sound so different now and this makes me view things in a different light.
I admit I overreacted (being in a bad mood anyway) and did not think about the possible consequences my writing might entail.

No, I won't send the Ceratosaurus back - I will try to fix the problem, in case there is one.
Please don't stop your mission ..... and for anyone's sake - DO NOT destroy any prototype sculptures!!!

TJ_Terrorsaur

I set up my Savage today and even though he as a tab bit wobbly I got him to stand. My Y-rex is just as wobbly but with enough love and patience I can get any figure to stand. (This is by no means a complaint.) I love my Savage and I've dubbed him "Bruniik" this is literately 'Savage' in Dragon Tongue.  ;)
I love love love this figure and hope to get some photo's of him once I'm feeling better. I also really hope this won't be the last of Rebor's dinosaurs. I'd feel pretty dang empty inside if that's the case.

joossa

Quote from: TJ_Terrorsaur on May 03, 2015, 09:34:58 PM
I set up my Savage today and even though he as a tab bit wobbly I got him to stand. My Y-rex is just as wobbly but with enough love and patience I can get any figure to stand. (This is by no means a complaint.) I love my Savage and I've dubbed him "Bruniik" this is literately 'Savage' in Dragon Tongue.  ;)
I love love love this figure and hope to get some photo's of him once I'm feeling better. I also really hope this won't be the last of Rebor's dinosaurs. I'd feel pretty dang empty inside if that's the case.
Can you please clarify if you got it to stand on it's base, on a flat level surface, or both? I think a lot of us are curious to know how widespread the issue is and if some cases are less severe than others. Thanks.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Shadowknight1

Quote from: TJ_Terrorsaur on May 03, 2015, 09:34:58 PM
You'd feel empty?  I'd feel like a black freaking hole inside.  I've been salivating over that Acro since April and I would be absolutely crushed if they cancelled it because of customer complaints.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

ProSauropod

Adding another data point:  mine exhibits the aforementioned warpage; the 2 feet line up on the belly centerline (how mammalian!) and the model doesn't come close to standing on its own.  This also prevents the proper alignment into the base mudprints.  I'm still thinking about either just gluing it to the base and letting the legs do what they will do (a few artfully placed ferns may help) or trying to bend courtesy of the wife's hairdryer and see what will happen.  A great model from the knees up ............. ???

bruno

The legs on mine were warped to I used the hot water method and it now stands perfectly,  it took about 30 seconds

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: joossa on May 03, 2015, 09:54:08 PM
Can you please clarify if you got it to stand on it's base, on a flat level surface, or both? I think a lot of us are curious to know how widespread the issue is and if some cases are less severe than others. Thanks.

Sure thing. His feet and ankles were warped but after soaking him in some hot water and maneuvering him ever so slightly I did get him to stand on his base, albeit only one of his feet fit in the mud indentations but I did get him to stand. As for him standing on his own off of the base, no, I haven't gotten mine to stand. I will work more with Bruniik later once I'm not feeling like I'm dying.
Though I've dealt with this problem before in my McFarlane Dragon's, with wings being loose or the dragons not wanting to stay on their base.
IF I get his paws to both fit in the mud prints and get him to stand on his own I will update with pictures. :)

Quote from: ProSauropod on May 03, 2015, 11:35:24 PM
Adding another data point:  mine exhibits the aforementioned warpage; the 2 feet line up on the belly centerline (how mammalian!) and the model doesn't come close to standing on its own.  This also prevents the proper alignment into the base mudprints.  I'm still thinking about either just gluing it to the base and letting the legs do what they will do (a few artfully placed ferns may help) or trying to bend courtesy of the wife's hairdryer and see what will happen.  A great model from the knees up ............. ???

Perhaps try buying a clear rod for him to lean against?

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 03, 2015, 09:55:40 PM
You'd feel empty?  I'd feel like a black freaking hole inside.  I've been salivating over that Acro since April and I would be absolutely crushed if they cancelled it because of customer complaints.

Oh Gosh, same here. I think I'd become really depressed...or more so my depression would rear it's ugly head again. I've always wanted a nice Acro model and it's now on the horizon. I really hope Rebor sees how many people do love them and their products.

Dobber

Quote from: bruno on May 03, 2015, 11:52:11 PM
The legs on mine were warped to I used the hot water method and it now stands perfectly,  it took about 30 seconds

And in a few hours it will probably revert back to the warped position just like mine and others did. We know how to do the hairdryer/hot water trick.....as has been said multiple times already. The problem is it doesn't  STAY fixed.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Dobber on May 04, 2015, 12:26:08 AM
Quote from: bruno on May 03, 2015, 11:52:11 PM

And in a few hours it will probably revert back to the warped position just like mine and others did. We know how to do the hairdryer/hot water trick.....as has been said multiple times already. The problem is it doesn't  STAY fixed.

Chris

Really? Mine has been cooperating since I fixed him up this morning.  ???
Sorry to hear that yours doesn't want to stand, perhaps try using a wire or a clear rod?

Takama

After seeing whats been reported here, i have to say that I know the pain you guys are going through.   I absolutely hate when A bipedal figure is unstable. I had to go through 4 CollectA Denichirus, because they never seem to stand properly even after numerous Hair Dryer Treatments, they would still fall over, and suffer from paint loss which i do not like at all.   Rebor, im not trying to be mean, but please take my pin idea into consideration, not everyone likes to have to constantly Treat there figures only for them to revert back to there deformity, and some of us don't even trust Hot water, because we don't want our models to have ruined paint.  ;)   

bruno

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 03, 2015, 09:06:42 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on May 02, 2015, 11:27:06 AM

Ceratosaurus Savage is a GK level model, it took us tons of efforts to make the mass production even become possible, and please consider it is a non-profit product, if you have to know, the production cost of the polystone base is more expensive than the production cost of Papo T-rex, we are simply spending our own money to make these models to share with other dinosaur enthusiasts,  but no matter how hard we try, we still can't change laws of Physics and material properties, therefore we would like to ask for your forgiveness. :)
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on May 02, 2015, 07:13:07 PM

We are not professional manufactures like Papo or Sideshow, we are just a group of dinosaur enthusiasts who want to share our works with the world, like John Hammond said, we spared no expense to make these models become possible, that means we are spending our own money to make gifts for you, you should be able to understand the cost after we explained the whole manufacturing process in detail. Please stop comparing us with Papo, one piece injection molding is insanely expensive, and we don't even want to talk about cost of mold itself, not to mention all the polystone bases, true, polystone isn't gold, but isn't cheap either, so if you are imagining us sitting behind the desk and counting money, wrong and wrong, in fact 2 REBOR members have quit from the team, since they believed they were doing the right thing but all they have felt is disappointment, they don't want to spend their own money just to get blamed anymore, and to be honest this thought is now with all other memebers, after all we have no obligation to continue the brand, and we could shut down REBOR permanently at any time, all molds and existing products will be recalled and destroyed, all future projects including Acrocanthosaurus will be cancelled, existing prototype sculptures such as Allosaurus,Carnotaurus,Triceratops, Mosasaurus, Brachiosaurus,Protoceratops VS Velociraptors will all be destroyed. We love what we do but now we just don't want to do it anymore.

Sorry REBOR! I feel pretty bad now after I have read your remarks. You sound so different now and this makes me view things in a different light.
I admit I overreacted (being in a bad mood anyway) and did not think about the possible consequences my writing might entail.

No, I won't send the Ceratosaurus back - I will try to fix the problem, in case there is one.
Please don't stop your mission ..... and for anyone's sake - DO NOT destroy any prototype sculptures!!!

Rebor you have had some harsh criticism in this forum but they are very much the minority,most of us appreciate what you have brought to the dinosaur model world and the vast majority would be gutted to see you end especially with that wonderful list you've given us.So don't be put off by a few critics, I for.one.have bought every model so far and can't see that ending up so please keep going

TJ_Terrorsaur

An update as promised. I tried to use more hot water and some tlc on Bruniik and I couldn't get him to stand without his base. Which is fine by me, really it is. ^_^ I also found that the mud-prints and his feet are further apart than they are on the prototype shown by Rebor. This again isn't terrible and is known to happen (see McFarlane Dragons). I did however get Bruniik to stand up without any help. The foot that's stretched out behind him is in the mud-print, the one that's up under his body and out in front is just slightly to the right or the mud print. I even got him to stand with him walking away from the tree stump.

I really hope this helps.

Again I'm not mad or upset about this figure, I love it and think it's incredible.  :) I really hope we hear back from Rebor soon about that Acro.

Dinomike

Hey Rebor! I also wish you guys don't quit! Your models are really really cool!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: