News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Could dinosaurs dream?

Started by SpittersForEver, February 07, 2015, 06:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpittersForEver

Do you think or is there any evidence that suggests they could dream? I think they could.

spinosaurus1

i'm not seeing any reason why they can't. especially with the large amounts of evidence of modern extant animals, including avian dinosaurs, were able to do so as well. dreaming is an instinctive and involuntary action. it is believed to be a simulation or rehearsal of survival situations. dinosaurs likely weren't exceptions to this

SpittersForEver

Wonder what it was like for them.

stargatedalek

Birds dream, so its highly likely that other dinosaurs did also. As for what it was like birds generally tend to have calm dreams (they aren't going to wake up from a nightmare like a human, or run into walls like a dog), so dinosaurs were probably the same way.

triceratops83

Hopefully they didn't have nightmares about a burnt Therizinosaurus named "Freddy".
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

SpittersForEver

Lol, imagine if they had sleep paralysis.

Also 400th post  :D

Arul

Lol  :D natgeo said dinosaur is a diurnal they sleep at night soo yeah its possible if they have a nightmare..

stargatedalek

Nat Geo was incorrect (big surprise :P ), a number of species are almost certainly nocturnal.

Arul

Yeah i think so, they are reptilian right  :D

Concavenator

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 10, 2015, 02:05:50 AM
Nat Geo was incorrect (big surprise :P ), a number of species are almost certainly nocturnal.
Dromeaeosaurs were all nocturnal.

stargatedalek

I wouldn't go that far as to say all.

@Arul, that depends on how one defines "reptile" ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: Concavenator on February 10, 2015, 02:38:40 PM

How do you know that?  :o

I'm of the opinion that most dinosaurs were diurnal, no doubt there were exceptions. Just as with modern birds and reptiles.

pylraster

I wonder what stegosaurs dream of.

Concavenator

Quote from: Gwangi on February 10, 2015, 10:15:23 PM

I'm of the opinion that most dinosaurs were diurnal, no doubt there were exceptions. Just as with modern birds and reptiles.
I read somwhere Velociraptor was nocturnal.Also,dromaeosaurs like Microraptor or Archaeopteryx had black plumage so it would make sense if they hunted at night.

stargatedalek

Not a single nocturnal bird species has black plumage (with I believe the exception of a few seabirds, but they are not primarily nocturnal). When you think about how many birds are black in colour, that's rather staggering evidence against black for nocturnal animals.

Gwangi

Quote from: Concavenator on February 11, 2015, 10:14:56 PM

I read somwhere Velociraptor was nocturnal.Also,dromaeosaurs like Microraptor or Archaeopteryx had black plumage so it would make sense if they hunted at night.

Doesn't seem like enough evidence (or good evidence) to suggest that all dromaeosaurs were nocturnal. I can think of a lot more diurnal birds that are black (crows, ravens, blackbirds, grackles etc) than I can nocturnal ones.

Newt

Black is a display color. Only ninjas try to hide by wearing black. And that's why ninjas are extinct!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Concavenator on February 11, 2015, 10:14:56 PM

Not necessarily. Nocturnal animals do not perceive colours in the same way that humans do.

QuoteBlack is a display color. Only ninjas try to hide by wearing black. And that's why ninjas are extinct!
Hah, that's what they want you to think >:D

The black shinobi costume you see in movies and such probably never existed in real life (I still love it though). Ninja would usually disguise themselves to blend in with the surrounding populous. For example, they may have disguised themselves as common peasants in heavily populated areas so they would go unnoticed.

*Is a big ninja fanatic*

Newt

Hey, I'm disguised as a common peasant! Does that mean...I'm a ninja?

I guess that means I need to make some shuriken and a sheathe for my santoku. Hmmm....

SpittersForEver

Quote from: Newt on February 11, 2015, 11:53:53 PM
Hey, I'm disguised as a common peasant! Does that mean...I'm a ninja?

I guess that means I need to make some shuriken and a sheathe for my santoku. Hmmm....

Lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: