News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

NT's Repaint(s)

Started by Northern Tyrannosaur, February 09, 2015, 11:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Tyrannosaur

I actually completed these repaints a while before joining the forum. I'll update with more as a I go.

The first is the Kaiyodo Sci-Fi Revoltech T.rex

It's default coloration was that of the Lost World male T.rex

I decided to give it a warmer coloration like something you'd find in the Midwestern Plains

The Dilophosaurus wasn't present at T.rex's time, but it was the only figure I really had (roughly) in scale at the time

Next up is a Juvenile T.rex from the Kenner line of The Lost World figures repainted (somewhat poorly) as the offspring to the male I made earlier.  The color was brighter based on younger reptile's brighter coloration compared to their parents, yet I included more brown to darken it overall. A sort of "younger skin that will fade in time, while the overall coloration evens out" idea.

These are my first ever dino figure repaints, and I plan to do more as I go. My next figure is the Favorite brand soft model Spinosaurus, which is curiously close to scale with the Revoltech Rex!
"Instinct drove him forward, pride held his head up. The strength in his legs and the air in his lungs never wasted. All before him feared the flash of his jaws. There was only one King of the Great Plains."

Arul

DinoLord

Nice job. Coincidentally I think Kaiyodo is planning a retooling of this T. rex that has a more natural brown color scheme not too dissimilar from the one you came up with.

Northern Tyrannosaur

Quote from: DinoLord on February 09, 2015, 11:52:57 PM
Nice job. Coincidentally I think Kaiyodo is planning a retooling of this T. rex that has a more natural brown color scheme not too dissimilar from the one you came up with.

Thank you! Yes, they released it this year, and I plan to get it eventually as a mate to this one.

[/quote]
Quote from: ARUL on February 09, 2015, 11:49:01 PM
Wow good start  :D

Thank you very much, I hope to get as good as some of the repaints I've seen here.
"Instinct drove him forward, pride held his head up. The strength in his legs and the air in his lungs never wasted. All before him feared the flash of his jaws. There was only one King of the Great Plains."

Nebuloid

Nice ! Never expected to see that figure customised, great job. Especially with all those joints and gaps, must've been difficult !

Rathalosaurus

How did you make this base color?
Wonderful Repaint!!
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Northern Tyrannosaur

Quote from: Rathalosaurus on February 16, 2015, 04:25:14 PM
Wonderful Repaint!!

Thanks a lot! I just mixed a few Apple Barrel brand acrylics together until I found a shade I like. For the underbelly I used a mix of white and yellow, for the orange I used white, orange and reds, and the brown was a mix of orange, black, yellow and some white.

Northern Tyrannosaur

Quote from: Nebuloid on February 16, 2015, 04:02:39 PM
Nice ! Never expected to see that figure customised, great job. Especially with all those joints and gaps, must've been difficult !

I had to completely disassemble the figure, and I had to be thorough, but I'm used to building scale robot models like Gundam kits. So it's nothing outside of my experience :) just took a bit more patience than painting a sculpture or static figure.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Rathalosaurus

Quote from: Northern Tyrannosaur on February 16, 2015, 09:02:06 PM
Wonderful Repaint!!

Thanks a lot! I just mixed a few Apple Barrel brand acrylics together until I found a shade I like. For the underbelly I used a mix of white and yellow, for the orange I used white, orange and reds, and the brown was a mix of orange, black, yellow and some white.

Thank you. The Repaint is so gorgeous!!
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Northern Tyrannosaur

Quote from: Rathalosaurus on February 17, 2015, 11:36:04 AM
Quote from: Northern Tyrannosaur on February 16, 2015, 09:02:06 PM
Wonderful Repaint!!

Thank you. The Repaint is so gorgeous!!
Quote from: Jetoar on February 17, 2015, 12:05:20 AM
Lovely repaint  ^-^.

Jeez guys thanks! Expect to see the big Rex and its young in quite a few upcoming shots! I'll have more dinos when I get more time and the weather improves lol

Northern Tyrannosaur

So, here is my third repaint. The Favorite Ltd Co Spinosaurus. It started out blue and I decided to give it a new look. Its certainly not my best, but I do like how it turned out.

The original colors.

The first version of the repaint

Version two with altered colors. A more gradient feel on the spine with reds and oranges, a darker grey instead of the jarring black on the back, and actual color in the mouth which I somehow missed the first time..  :o

Dinomike

I like that Spinosaurus a lot!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Northern Tyrannosaur

Quote from: Dinomike on March 15, 2015, 12:35:49 AM
I like that Spinosaurus a lot!

Thank you man! I was kinda worried about it mid way through

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.