You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How to Sue A Company that makes knockoffs of any great dinosaur replica toys

Started by MaastrichtianGuy, February 25, 2015, 11:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaastrichtianGuy

got a figure made from a knockoff making company
and have to find a chance to sue of sending an email to any company that makes great dinosaur toys for everyone
well send a picture of the knockoff made toy to a great company and see what does the company thinks about them so they could lawsuit a company that who's trying to make other knockoffs of it

stargatedalek

A respectable effort, but Sadly these knock off companies are well known by the brands they steal from and no actions against them have been successful.

deanm

Legal action requires legal counsel which is expensive. 

Most companies do a cost benefit analysis before going through with a lawsuit (most will try and settle out of court or come to some other arrangement or way to stop copy-cats). 

A rather complex issue if you go across country borders (copyright, trademark, infringement laws, intellectual property, etc laws) vary tremendously.

No real garanetee of return or actually stopping the offender from copying/creating knock-offs or from stopping them entering your country.

Don't get me wrong -I don't like the knock-offs but it takes considerable effort (and distraction from value added tasks - like creating the next new figure (all of the tasks associated with a product -not just sculpting) from the company that decides to pursue legal action (even a cease and desist letter).

To all the artists  & other company people out there I trully feel for you on this matter - it does "suck" and it can be a bitter pill.

i am speaking from professional experiences.

tyrantqueen

We have debated this issue before quite a lot. I don't think there is much that can be done :(

Knockoff companies have been around for a long time (not just in the dinosaur toy community but for all toys) and will likely be around for the forseeable future.

I would like to see the copying stopped as much as the next person but I don't think it would be worth it in the long run. Even if one of the companies was taken down, another would take its place afterwards.

The best thing we can do is support the real artists as much as we can, and refrain from giving the KOers any of our money.

Arul

sauroid

these chinese pirates know that they can get away with it so they arent afraid of any legal actions against them. they dont only steal from toy companies, they steal from ALL sector of the manufacturing industry. (they also steal territorial properties in the Pacific btw)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

REBOR_STUDIO

Fortunately we got world's best lawyers in UK, and REBOR is protected by the UK Intellectual Property Office and GS1 Society, if we ever find a bootleg REBOR dinosaur replica in the market, we will sue those pirates at all cost till they got bankrupted. All REBOR products that shipped to China have special warning labels on the packaging which states legal matters and pretty serious consequence of breaking them, so hopefully those Chinese pirates won't be foolish enough to test our patience.

Say NO to bootleg Chinasaurs, it should not be tolerated.

Shonisaurus

Not only pirate dinosaur toys each company but each of the types of toys each company (wild animals, pets, comic figures).
From my point of view that is cut not only buying in stores where do such unfair competition, we must denounce names stores where these abusive practices, among other things are done because they are using very cheap labor, based almost semi slavery, on the one hand and partly because many families also our beloved staff toy stores its future play, we should have a little common sense and quite good heart to not fall into the trap and temptation buy replicas which can also be made of toxic and carcinogenic materials, especially for children.
Therefore and I know I spread me there are many reasons why you should not buy and more appropriate to denounce many families future employment are played.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Chinese bootleggers have no scruples about who they rip off. They have even been known to rip off each other's designs.

For example, there was a knock off of a Furby by a Chinese company, called a Coobie. This design was then ripped off further by other Chinese companies, creating the Poopi, Foobie, and Purby (all of them were very similar and likely shared the same moulds)

See here: http://official-furby.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Furby_Fakes

I have no idea why I'm discussing Furbies on a dinosaur forum, but there you go >:D

Shonisaurus

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on February 26, 2015, 04:47:11 PM
Fortunately we got world's best lawyers in UK, and REBOR is protected by the UK Intellectual Property Office and GS1 Society, if we ever find a bootleg REBOR dinosaur replica in the market, we will sue those pirates at all cost till they got bankrupted. All REBOR products that shipped to China have special warning labels on the packaging which states legal matters and pretty serious consequence of breaking them, so hopefully those Chinese pirates won't be foolish enough to test our patience.

Say NO to bootleg Chinasaurs, it should not be tolerated.
I am a buyer of its own figures and you can be sure that the place where I buy them online is a serious business.

Derek.McManus

It seems to me that the place to confront 'knock off' figures in the UK is by taking legal action against the outlets stocking and selling them...eg near me branch's of discount stores such as B+M and Poundstretcher stock obvious pirate figures while the local toy chain has Papo and Schliech. If the discount chains can be made to remove the pirate product from their shelves I feel they would be less likely to restock next season.

LophoLeeVT

i was triked by a cheap china company selling fake jps sooooooooooooooooooo upset
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.