News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Carnegie Collection Discontinued

Started by Dan, March 10, 2015, 09:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

I suppose the new Velociraptor might be one worth grabbing while you can.

triceratops83

I wonder if Forest Rogers will still sculpt for the Wild Safari line? My hope is that there are more Safari figures each year.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: triceratops83 on March 13, 2015, 02:15:41 AM
I wonder if Forest Rogers will still sculpt for the Wild Safari line? My hope is that there are more Safari figures each year.
Afaik she has never sculpted for the Wild Safari line. She has only sculpted for the Carnegie line, which is owned by Safari Ltd. ;) I would like to see it happen however.

triceratops83

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 13, 2015, 02:19:56 AM
Afaik she has never sculpted for the Wild Safari line. She has only sculpted for the Carnegie line, which is owned by Safari Ltd. ;) I would like to see it happen however.

Yeah, I realise that, I would just like to see more of her work. I'm hoping for more releases from Safari each year, rather than another partnership with a museum as others have suggested. Safari is, in my opinion, the best current producer of Dinosaur figures.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think she was contracted by the Carnegie. If Safari continued it would require a new contract at the least.

amargasaurus cazaui

I did note on her facebook page she has made a site to sell her various sculpture work complete with paypal links...I have not checked it yet for anything dinosaur related, but it might be possible she does offer things like that as well.

I also felt I would at least say thanks publicly to Forest for all those years of work sculpting all those dinosaurs for us. I think that appreciation seems lacking at some point, and I myself find it saddening she spent so many years and produced so many great figures, and yet some critics continue assailing her work even as she lets go of her Carnegie crown. I have taken on few efforts in my life that I was able to spend 27 years doing, and I can honestly admire anyone that has.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Concavenator

Quote from: Gwangi on March 13, 2015, 12:26:35 AM
I suppose the new Velociraptor might be one worth grabbing while you can.
Definetely.Owning it,I can say that it's one of the best figures of my collection.It's really beautiful.

Rathalosaurus

Why, the hell, why?
Safari, WHY!!!!!
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

postsaurischian

What goes up must come down :-\.
Thank you Carnegie Collection for a long and inspiring run of beautiful models through the ages!

I hope we will see Forest Rogers making more Dinosaur models without any restrictions sometimes in the future, she's such a brilliant sculptor.

ItsTwentyBelow

Carnegie was the brand that for sure got me into dinosaur collecting. Thinking about it, I'm positive that my exposure to the original figure lineup at an early age in the late 80s/early 90s was a vital contribution to my lifelong fascination with paleontology.

I remember Imagination Express, the little shop in my hometown which was always so well stocked with 'em (where I got my first figure, the Parasaurolophus). I remember family road trips (circa 1992) throughout the western National Parks at that same age, with so many other dino stops in between. I remember picking out my original-sculpt Allosaurus at the Field House Museum in Vernal, Utah, and then my folks spoiling me yet again on the same trip when I picked out my T. rex at the Museum of the Rockies in Montana. Those figures are still with me! I even still have my big gray plastic Carnegie branded "play island" with the volcano.

As someone who owes a lot to this brand, I don't find myself heartbroken or beside myself in any way because the line is ending. It is sad, to be sure, but they had a great run, and their time has come. I feel, as others have, that there has been a tangible slowdown and stagnation of the Carnegie series in recent years, but at the same time there have been so many other newcomers and revivals to the field of dinosaur collecting that I'm sure I will continue to be pleased each year.

The museum is not a commercial business, and I'm happy that it seems to be a mutual decision. I will be excited to see what Safari does with their prehistoric beasties in the future. It would be way cool to see Forest Rogers continue to be involved somehow. For now, I will simply enjoy my nearly complete (don't have the Kronosaurus because it's awful and don't have brown T. rex because it never appealed to me. Also no 2007 repaints because...I don't care for repaints) Carnegie Collection more than ever, and snap up the last two figures that I care to add (2014 T.rex and 2015 Velociraptor).

Thanks for the memories, Forest and Carnegie Museum of Natural History! Best of luck to the realm of dinosaur collecting as a result of this, too! Let's see how this vacuum ends up being filled.

Here we go, a pic of my collection that I posted to the original forum in 2008. Of course this isn't all of my Carnegies. I'm proud to see this is the still the 2nd image hit when you Google "Carnegie Collection":

amargasaurus cazaui

I went on Forest Roger's page on Facebook and posted my thanks for her work on the models over the years and my sadness with seeing the line come to an end and she gave a thoroughly interesting and quite thought provoking answer to my comments......

"Forest Rogers Thank you, Dear friend! But fear not -- this transition only presages new things for the Carnegie & me. We are thinking and planning, and our cycads shall bloom afresh! You will have new and exciting things to look for, though we can't say precisely what yet... "

So there is perhaps something to look forwards to ,that we are not being told.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoLord

Very interesting. Maybe we'll see museum-affiliated higher-end resin pieces? That's something I've always wanted to see - museums commissioning artists to do sculpts based on that institution's iconic specimens. I feel that Forest Roger's style would be great for resin pieces - as nice as the standard-issue Carnegie figures are their resin masters are just beautiful.

ItsTwentyBelow

Oh boy, I will excitedly await to hear about this, whatever it might turn out to be, when the time comes!  :D

amargasaurus cazaui

For those on Facebook you can verify her comments for yourself, and also see her resin pieces in her gallery on her own site. I realize what she said is quite cryptic, but she does seem to be hinting heavily at something.....intentionally

suspsy

At any rate, a talent like hers should not be put out to pasture.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

John

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 13, 2015, 05:39:42 PM
I went on Forest Roger's page on Facebook and posted my thanks for her work on the models over the years and my sadness with seeing the line come to an end and she gave a thoroughly interesting and quite thought provoking answer to my comments......

"Forest Rogers Thank you, Dear friend! But fear not -- this transition only presages new things for the Carnegie & me. We are thinking and planning, and our cycads shall bloom afresh! You will have new and exciting things to look for, though we can't say precisely what yet... "

So there is perhaps something to look forwards to ,that we are not being told.
That's good to know!Thanks for sharing this. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: DinoLord on March 13, 2015, 05:54:45 PM
Very interesting. Maybe we'll see museum-affiliated higher-end resin pieces? That's something I've always wanted to see - museums commissioning artists to do sculpts based on that institution's iconic specimens. I feel that Forest Roger's style would be great for resin pieces - as nice as the standard-issue Carnegie figures are their resin masters are just beautiful.
Yes, I agree :)

Arul

After almost 1 year finally got tylosaurus, the next target is amargasaurus...wish me luck

amargasaurus cazaui

One notion to put to rest, even if she never sculpts another dinosaur Forest will not be out to pasture. Anyone that visits her page and site will see quite quickly that dinosaurs were a very minor part of her abilities as a sculpter, artist, and even photographer. She has mad talent that she uses to create beings and characters from her Beings of the Forest group.......although I am quite hopeful the dinosaur making part of her abilites are not put to pasture as was stated. Her response while quite cryptic was also almost certainly implying something else is in the works or that she is an eternal optimist.....You saw what I saw, I read it as there are more dinosaurs coming somehow.

John

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 14, 2015, 02:14:43 AM
One notion to put to rest, even if she never sculpts another dinosaur Forest will not be out to pasture. Anyone that visits her page and site will see quite quickly that dinosaurs were a very minor part of her abilities as a sculpter, artist, and even photographer. She has mad talent that she uses to create beings and characters from her Beings of the Forest group.......although I am quite hopeful the dinosaur making part of her abilites are not put to pasture as was stated. Her response while quite cryptic was also almost certainly implying something else is in the works or that she is an eternal optimist.....You saw what I saw, I read it as there are more dinosaurs coming somehow.
From what I gather from her comment,the Carnegie Museum apparently are planning to release something utilizing her as the sculptor.I would imagine that would be high end resin statues of dinosaurs akin to those of Dinostoreus and Favorite Co. Ltd. Maybe that was where the interests of the Carnegie Museum and Safari Ltd. had differed.
With luck,maybe the Carnegie Museum's plans (whatever they may be) will come to fruition. :)

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: