You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Robin - Goodfellow's Collection ( Collection "Tour" from page 113 )

Started by RobinGoodfellow, March 21, 2015, 11:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

Finally the Papo 2016 Baryonyx   8)

Size comparison:
Tyrannosaurus (1:40) - Baryonyx (1:20)

Info e Full Flickr Album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157664414530646

Does it look good enough ?

See you soon...

:)

Libraraptor

I´m still not sure what to think about this guy. There´s something about it I don´t really like yet. But I have to see it in person, I guess.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 12, 2016, 01:18:16 PM
I´m still not sure what to think about this guy. There´s something about it I don´t really like yet. But I have to see it in person, I guess.

Well, it isn't an high-end model and has its flaws (anatomically speaking) but it's the best Baryonyx in the toy range by now.
Shapeways has better figures. You can find better figures as resin kits too.
But in the 20/30 euro range it's difficult to find a better figure now.
On my opinion this Baryonyx has a strong Luis V. Rey influence and if you don't like Rey probably you don't like that model.

What I really don't like is the glossy paint app.
( ..and the tripod pose isn't so charming too.. but it's easy to solve with a stand, as in my pictures..  ;) ).

Have a nice day.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Jetoar on February 12, 2016, 03:34:45 PM
It is bigger than I thought  :o.

Yes, it's a little bigger than T. Rex... 35cm long and 18cm high.

suspsy

You know, between the head and the size, Papo really should have just put a sail on the toy's back and sold it as a new Spinosaurus. It would have been WONDERFUL.

As it stands, this toy is pretty much Rudy from Ice Age 3. A wonderful monster, but a poor rendition of a real dinosaur.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Megalosaurus

Very nice model.

Is it possible to fully close its jaws? The last picture hits that it isn't.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on February 12, 2016, 04:19:11 PM
You know, between the head and the size, Papo really should have just put a sail on the toy's back and sold it as a new Spinosaurus. It would have been WONDERFUL.

As it stands, this toy is pretty much Rudy from Ice Age 3. A wonderful monster, but a poor rendition of a real dinosaur.

You know I've been thinking the same thing. The super accurate Spinosaurus head, the shorter back legs ( at least they look shorter in the first pic, would have made a very accurate Spinosaurus.  I guess they wanted to keep the JP one in production  but also release another spinosaur. :/   Maybe I'll get two and try and sculpt a sail on it? I'm keen for about any project now..darn snow...

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Megalosaurus on February 12, 2016, 05:03:29 PM
Very nice model.

Is it possible to fully close its jaws? The last picture hits that it isn't.

Yes it is.  ^-^

RobinGoodfellow

It's Papo's style: the Running Rex is a Vastatosaurus from King Kong; the Pteranodon with teeth is a medieval daemon ; the Allosaurus is a walking crocodile...
It's Papo: take it or leave it...  ;)

All the Best

Shonisaurus

Although in this case is more like a suchomimus, we must recognize that is very well developed and it is huge.

Anyway, it's much better figure than the prototype, whose colors are more subdued.

Silvanusaurus

The Baryonyx looks lovely to me! I hope to have it myself soon.

suspsy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 12, 2016, 05:45:01 PM

You know I've been thinking the same thing. The super accurate Spinosaurus head, the shorter back legs ( at least they look shorter in the first pic, would have made a very accurate Spinosaurus.  I guess they wanted to keep the JP one in production  but also release another spinosaur. :/   Maybe I'll get two and try and sculpt a sail on it? I'm keen for about any project now..darn snow...

Maybe. But Papo keeps on releasing the original Velociraptor in spite of the new feathered version. Ah well.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 12, 2016, 06:26:02 PM
Although in this case is more like a suchomimus, we must recognize that is very well developed and it is huge.

Anyway, it's much better figure than the prototype, whose colors are more subdued.

We talked about before, having studied Suchomimus quite a bit, it's not really like Suchomimus at all.

Roselaar

Wow, it's huge! Love the detail, but I'm sitll not a fan of the pose.

AcroSauroTaurus

I think the Baryonyx looks great.
I am the Dinosaur King!

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 13, 2016, 12:46:10 AM
Thanks for sharing those pictures. The more I see the actual model the more I like it, can't wait to get one for my collection. Is it stable on its feet or do you have any trouble make it standing for display?

The original pose of the figure is the classical tripod (2 rear legs + tail) and it's absolute stable.
I don't like it very much so I used a plastic stand under the tail to shoot the pictures in a more realistic posture (on 2 legs only).
You can't see the trasparent plastic stand in the pictures because of the overexposed background.
The figure can't stand on 2 feet without a rear support.
But in the original tripod pose it's totally stable.
I decided to keep a plastic rod under the tail to display the Baryonyx in a better way on my shelf.

RobinGoodfellow

It's just time to add some pictures of my Invicta collection..  ::)

The original box & poster:

..it's a limited edition:

..a different background:

The original collection inside the box:

..and the most expensive otherwise it's very little:

Info e Full Flickr Album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157656016275480

The Blue Whale is still missing... but I'll find it soon.  ;)

Have a nice day.

Halichoeres

Fantastic. There's an elegance to monochrome figures that I really admire. I'd probably collect them myself if I had more space.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 14, 2016, 08:43:10 PM
Fantastic. There's an elegance to monochrome figures that I really admire. I'd probably collect them myself if I had more space.

I think that too. Thank you.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: