News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur toy forum glossary

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, April 03, 2015, 02:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

As i sit and read these threads, I keep encountering new terms or terms that seem specific or could be specific to this forum. I thought it might be neat to complete a hunorous, and good spirited list of terms we could or might use here within the forum.....what are your favorites?

Due to recent experiences I have coined the first two..........

Snarkasm-the use of snark and sarcasm in responding to a post.
Toycotting- I do not boycott, I toycott and do it with pride !!!

Another of my personnal faves is.......

Psittuation-Anything to do with psittacosaurus' and its family members is a Psittuation.

Anyone else?

SO far we have....

Awesomebro- A dinosaur pop culture that prioritises awesomeness over accuracy.
Toycotting- A boycott of a toy company.
Psittuation-Anything to do with psittacosaurus' and its family members is a Psittuation.
Tail Dragger-a dinosaur model sculpted in the old style, with the tail dragging behind it , most common in theropods, and sauropods
Chinasaur-unbranded dinosaur toy, often stamped "made in China"
Clown Feet  ( some do not care for that term...so thoughts?)- term for Dinosaurs with oversized feet.
Retrotastic-a good model of a retro dinosaur
Retrosaur- a dinosaur that is quite retro looking
Dr Admin- forum owner and administrator.
Shelf Warmer- A toy that does not sell well

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

'Chinasaur' is used a lot. Definition: unbranded dinosaur toy, often stamped "made in China"

amargasaurus cazaui

agree, excellent addition. I see that one floated alot too.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CityRaptor

Clown Feet - term for Dinosaurs with oversized feet.

And something I made myself:
retrotastic - a good model of a retro dinosaur
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 03, 2015, 02:54:42 PM

That retrotastic term is nice !!!

tyrantqueen

"Tail dragger" and "shelf-warmer". Pretty self explanatory. And of course, "awesomebro".

DinoToyForum

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 03, 2015, 03:16:50 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on April 03, 2015, 02:54:42 PM

That retrotastic term is nice !!!

I think I've seen the term 'retrosaur' used too.

tyrantqueen

How about "Dr. Admin", the nickname that we give (and he uses himself) to Dr. Adam Smith?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 03, 2015, 03:46:44 PM
How about "Dr. Admin", the nickname that we give (and he uses himself) to Dr. Adam Smith?

Hehe, why not!

Amargasaurus, will you include the definitions in the first post too?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Plasti-crack : Awesome, highly addictive to collect, figures.

amargasaurus cazaui

The fast answer is yes, later today I will compile that first posting to hold the terms and their meanings. We had a tornado hit my hometown last night, so its been a somewhat .....touch and go bit since then, but will do that as soon as possible

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 03, 2015, 03:41:56 PM
"Tail dragger" and "shelf-warmer". Pretty self explanatory. And of course, "awesomebro".
What does the term shelf warmer actually imply ? and how would you define awesomebro TQ? For me it would mean a dinosaur or movie monster figure made highly appealing realistic looking in a very dramatic pose....help me with this one

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 03, 2015, 06:52:17 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 03, 2015, 03:41:56 PM
What does the term shelf warmer actually imply ? and how would you define awesomebro TQ? For me it would mean a dinosaur or movie monster figure made highly appealing realistic looking in a very dramatic pose....help me with this one
A shelfwarmer is a toy that doesn't sell well. Basically it's been sitting so long in the store that it's keeping the shelf warm.

I'd probably go with John Conway's definition for awesomebro. Here it is in his own words:

QuoteMost of us have come across or participated in what I'm going to call "awesomebro" culture: "dinosaurs in space with fricken' lasers? AWESOMEBRO!". Awesomebro culture is huge, and makes up a huge proportion of the people that buy dinosaur-themed stuff. At the really stupid end of awesomebro you have the people that complain that feathered dinosaurs look "gay". You have less retarded grumbling as well. My problem is in how I, and many other people I agree with, have reflexively deflected these grumblings. We say something like "well, eagles look pretty awesome - watchya got to say to that, smart guy?"

More info here: http://log.johnconway.co/post/46259087381/jurassic-park-4-awesomebro

I hope that helps :)

Patrx

Awesomebro: An aesthetic paradigm which exaggerates or invents strange, dramatic and/or dangerous aspects of prehistoric life, sometimes ignoring research or referring to outdated ideas.

How's that? I don't want to make it sound like a bad thing or a good thing specifically*, just to describe it.

*...Even though I personally think it's a bad thing.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Patrx on April 03, 2015, 07:02:37 PM
Awesomebro: An aesthetic paradigm which exaggerates or invents strange, dramatic and/or dangerous aspects of prehistoric life, sometimes ignoring research or referring to outdated ideas.

How's that? I don't want to make it sound like a bad thing or a good thing specifically*, just to describe it.

sure, just let me get my dictionary to look up all those words...brb

DinoToyForum

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 03, 2015, 07:22:40 PM

There's probably a simpler way to put it. How about: Pop culture that prioritises awesomeness over accuracy.

Patrx

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 03, 2015, 07:42:57 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 03, 2015, 07:22:40 PM

How's that? I don't want to make it sound like a bad thing or a good thing specifically, just to describe it.

There's probably a simpler way to put it. How about: Pop culture that prioritises awesomeness over accuracy.

Ack, you're right. Simpler is probably better  ;D

Arul

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 03, 2015, 02:43:10 PM
'Chinasaur' is used a lot. Definition: unbranded dinosaur toy, often stamped "made in China"

Emm maybe "Paposaur" too ? It means all of dinosaur figure from papo, i think this thread is used a lot in diorama/contest thread or companies thread hehehe

Kayakasaurus

I had an idea for a word a while back but there wasn't any reason to post it until now.

"Schleiched" as in "they Schleiched it up" referring to a model that gets you hopeful and seems to have everything going for it but is ruined by some odd feature. Schleich seems to have an almost perfect record of this.  ^-^

What do you guys think??
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Tyto_Theropod

This is a great idea, Amargasaurus! I'll try and think of some myself, but at the moment my mind has gone blank. Also, sorry to hear about the tornado. I hope you're okay, and you'll be in my prayers.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: