News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Antelopes and the likes!

Started by postsaurischian, April 29, 2012, 07:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

I'd like to reactivate this thread, originally started by bokisaurus, here:
http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=othertoys&action=display&thread=1346 :)

I just got Harriet's 1:22  Gemsbok / Oryx Antelope  and I had to take some pictures.
She's absolutely beautiful :D!

....... and I love the tag ;D.

DinoToyForum

HKHollinstone

So glad she arrived safe Helge, glad you like the tag too! :))

brontodocus

Phantastic! :) As far as I remember I've only seen the prototype without colour (wasn't it in the old thread on v.1?) which looked great already but with its colours it's simply superb!

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Bokisaurus

Ah, yours looks like it has more brown, very nice. Great that you revived this thread :) WE have a bunch of ungulates coming this year!
Here are a few from CollectA
Red River Hog- super cute!

Gnu

Mom and Baby Okapi- both really beautifully sculpted!

Cape buffalo

Kudu

Cape Buffalo and warthog

Chap Mei Oryx

And the lovely one from HKHollinstone :D

brontodocus

Very nice, Boki! :) Sigh, I want that gemsbok by Harriet, too. :'( :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: brontodocus on May 08, 2012, 08:31:30 AM
Very nice, Boki! :) Sigh, I want that gemsbok by Harriet, too. :'( :)

That's one of the best extant pieces I've ever seen. I wish Harriet would do dinos!

paleoferroequine

Wish I had stuff to contribute, but I don't collect many extant animals.  :P But here's one: Musk Ox

SBell

Quote from: paleoferroequine on May 18, 2012, 09:20:23 PM
Wish I had stuff to contribute, but I don't collect many extant animals.  :P But here's one: Musk Ox

Who made that one? It's clearly not the Schleich one!

paleoferroequine

Quote from: SBell on May 18, 2012, 09:21:50 PM

Part of it is!  I had made a Pelorovis oldowayensis from the body of a Schleich African Buffalo with a modified Papo Yak head. I then took the Papo Yak body and grafted the Buffalo head to the Yak body and made mods to the head such as horns and the fur, and voila!  Nothing wasted!

Metallisuchus

Quote from: paleoferroequine on May 19, 2012, 01:21:39 AM

Part of it is!  I had made a Pelorovis oldowayensis from the body of a Schleich African Buffalo with a modified Papo Yak head. I then took the Papo Yak body and grafted the Buffalo head to the Yak body and made mods to the head such as horns and the fur, and voila!  Nothing wasted!

Where do you people learn how to do this stuff? You can't even tell it's been under the blade!

SBell

Hmm...I have so many Schleich animals about which I care nothing...we should see what you can come up with! I think I may even have those two figures...

paleoferroequine

Quote from: SBell on May 19, 2012, 03:13:04 AM

Where do you people learn how to do this stuff? You can't even tell it's been under the blade!

Hmm...I have so many Schleich animals about which I care nothing...we should see what you can come up with! I think I may even have those two figures...
Learn how to do it? Hard to say. There are some books and one can practice a lot and learn from others . But if there is a basic talent it sure helps. Just like I have very little drawing art talent no matter how much I try. This however I just tried it one day and found I could do it. I learn something every time I do something. But  I think anybody can do it if they work at it.
Sean, yah, I can probably work something out with you. Here is the other part of the swap,  Pelorovis oldowayensis.

SBell

Quote from: paleoferroequine on May 19, 2012, 04:34:49 AM
Quote from: SBell on May 19, 2012, 03:13:04 AM

Learn how to do it? Hard to say. There are some books and one can practice a lot and learn from others . But if there is a basic talent it sure helps. Just like I have very little drawing art talent no matter how much I try. This however I just tried it one day and found I could do it. I learn something every time I do something. But  I think anybody can do it if they work at it.
Sean, yah, I can probably work something out with you. Here is the other part of the swap,  Pelorovis oldowayensis.

I really like the Pelorovis!  Of course, I think you should have gone with an extinct musk ox for the other half like bootherium or Euceratherium. But that's just me!  As for the other stuff I have, I will get a list together of what I have around. Probably take a few days, but it's not like there's a huge rush here!

By the way, if you are in the mood to work on more extinct antilocaprids (or relatives like palaeomerycids) you might find yourself running out of Safari pronghorns to work from--they apparently discontinued them this year, and near as I can tell they are out of stock now.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: SBell on May 19, 2012, 04:45:45 AM

Pelorovis oldowayensis.

I really like the Pelorovis!  Of course, I think you should have gone with an extinct musk ox for the other half like bootherium or Euceratherium. But that's just me!  As for the other stuff I have, I will get a list together of what I have around. Probably take a few days, but it's not like there's a huge rush here!

By the way, if you are in the mood to work on more extinct antilocaprids (or relatives like palaeomerycids) you might find yourself running out of Safari pronghorns to work from--they apparently discontinued them this year, and near as I can tell they are out of stock now.

Bootherium or Euceratherium both require a lot more work such far less fur, different head shape and horns. I'm thinking about which animals will work. And the Musk Ox is Pleistocene also.  I have a fair number of Pronghorns stashed and have found the Papo Chamois to work also for smaller species. And besides there are lots of deer and other stuff which only need new heads to make all sorts of stuff.

Bokisaurus

Love those two! Ah, wish they were mine ;D Can't wait to see more

paleoferroequine

OK, here's the extinct muskox, Bootherium bombifrons or Harlan's muskox. Middle to late Pleistocene of North America, went extinct 11,000 years ago. Started out as a Schleich Scottish Highland Bull with head changes and longer legs.

SBell

Quote from: paleoferroequine on May 24, 2012, 08:55:04 PM
OK, here's the extinct muskox, Bootherium bombifrons or Harlan's muskox. Middle to late Pleistocene of North America, went extinct 11,000 years ago. Started out as a Schleich Scottish Highland Bull with head changes and longer legs.

So...how much?  Alternatively, think you can do this with a Bullyland Highland bull?

paleoferroequine

Quote from: SBell on May 24, 2012, 08:56:37 PM

So...how much?  Alternatively, think you can do this with a Bullyland Highland bull?
I'm not familiar with the Bullyland since it's discontinued, but there's no reason it won't work. All you need is a bovine with somewhat longish hair.

SBell

Quote from: paleoferroequine on May 24, 2012, 09:40:04 PM
Quote from: SBell on May 24, 2012, 08:56:37 PM

I'm not familiar with the Bullyland since it's discontinued, but there's no reason it won't work. All you need is a bovine with somewhat longish hair.

Here is a photo of one:

So I may need to send that for a customizing.  Like I said, at some point I'll figure out everything I have that I have no love for, and see what can be done.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: