News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: Dilopho on December 07, 2015, 10:47:47 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 07, 2015, 09:20:50 PM
Quote from: DinoLord on December 06, 2015, 07:40:19 PM
Nice pictures, though I must respectfully disagree and argue that the orange Dinotales Protoceratops is the best ever.  ;)
Them's fightin' words!  :))

@SBell: I wasn't aware of the Waiphoon! You're right, pretty similar quality. I have that little Micro Kingdoms one (I bought the set for the Protosuchus), but I keep it in the box of dime-o-saurs that I'll eventually get around to selling or giving away.

It is odd that there are so few toy versions. As for whether it's a life stage, one thing hangs me up: If the horns and other ornamentation of the head are the product of sexual selection or associated with species recognition, it strikes me as odd that it would diminish with age. The skull of Pachycephalosaurus is quite a bit larger than that of Stygimoloch, right, which would imply a more mature animal? The only way I can see the skull of Stygimoloch being of an immature animal is if the horn core supported a much larger defensive structure, which for whatever reason the adult needed less. Sort of like a larval butterflyfish.

I can't decide if this is adorable or creepy!

Yes!

Yeah, I think many of the lumping-splitting arguments are going to need more reliable, published material to really try and provide answers for some of these. I do agree that the extreme ornamentation on Stygimoloch seems unusual for a juvenile relative to an adult.

But I am in favor of Dracorex being synonymized into Stygimoloch, if only to get that silly species name Dracorex hogwartsia pushed to the dustbin of history. Unless it has precedence, a fact which I don't know off hand and probably won't look up myself!

stargatedalek

Fortunately Stygimoloch takes precedence! Unless of course we get a situation alike to Tyrannosaurus, but thankfully I don't think Dracorex has a huge following (certainly too large, but not big enough to take precedence).

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Halichoeres

Quote from: raptor64870 on December 09, 2015, 03:53:52 AM
nice pics!
Thank you! I've actually learned more about photography from this forum than any other place I've spent time. Especially thanks to Robin Goodfellows, though I am still making do with very rudimentary equipment.

And now some large theropods of the Late Cretaceous!

Battat Tyrannosaurus (Terra). It's a nice one! I haven't measured it, but it's meant to be 1:40 and looks about right. Replaced the Papo green running rex. Toppled over moments after this photo was taken.

[dead image]
Battat Tyrannosaurus (Boston MOS). I also recently found this one essentially by accident. Now I'm not sure which to keep--I like the color scheme on the new one better, but this old one (I believe it's version 3) has firmer legs and is better at standing up.

Nakasato/Kanna Dinosaur Center feathered Tarbosaurus (Real Series). The only feathered one I know. The paint scheme is somewhat reminiscent of the Battat rexes. I think the Real Series figures might be resin, although they're lighter than, say, a Favorite desktop model of similar size. If someone told me they were an ordinary, if hard and brittle, plastic, I would believe them. About 1:40.

Wild Safari Gorgosaurus. Safari has come a long way. Gorgosaurus doesn't get too much love, except the WWD figures--which I've heard ought to be Nanuqsaurus. Probably a question answerable by watching the movie, but I've also heard it isn't very good. This figure is about 1:35-1:40.

Tyrannosaurs! That awful Alioramus is trying to hide, knowing that he's stinking up the joint.

Papo Carnotaurus. I usually try to choose the "best" version of an animal for my collection, but that's pretty subjective. Usually I mean the one that hews most closely to so-far-unfalsified hypotheses of its appearance, but sometimes I let aesthetics win. The Battat gets the face right, but I can't get past the asymmetric brow horns. So this is my Carnotaurus, because it's good-looking. Also it's about 1:40, so bonus.

GeoWorld Megaraptor (Jurassic Hunters). For a minute people thought Megaraptor was a giant dromaeosaur, in which case this figure still sucks because it has no plumage. But now the sickle claw actually seems to belong to its hand, so I look forward to seeing what this thing looks like when the other remains are described. Billed at 1:40, but when parts of this animal are quite literally upside-down, who knows?

CollectA Deluxe Carcharodontosaurus. Runs a little large, like most CollectA Deluxe theropods. Closer to 1:35 than 1:40. The badonkadonk is probably like 1:25, though. Needs a sign that says "wide load." Overall I like this figure, though.

CollectA Mapusaurus. Also a little on the tubby side, but it looks more organic. Surprisingly stable given its pose, too. About 1:35-1:40.

CollectA Rajasaurus. The Deccan Traps are among the most exciting places in the world for me, dinosaur-wise. Can't wait to see what else gets spit out of there. About 1:45.

Gondwanan theropods, mostly abelisaurids and carcharodontosaurids.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

stargatedalek

They were Gorgosaurus in the theatrical release and were retconned into Nanuqsaurus in a modified version (narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch IIRC).

MLMjp

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 10, 2015, 09:24:58 PM
They were Gorgosaurus in the theatrical release and were retconned into Nanuqsaurus in a modified version (narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch IIRC).

The model was definitely based on Gorgosaurus, they changed the genus later because gorgosaurus didn't live alongside pachyrhinosaurus

Halichoeres

Sim

It is odd that there are so few toy versions. As for whether it's a life stage, one thing hangs me up: If the horns and other ornamentation of the head are the product of sexual selection or associated with species recognition, it strikes me as odd that it would diminish with age. The skull of Pachycephalosaurus is quite a bit larger than that of Stygimoloch, right, which would imply a more mature animal? The only way I can see the skull of Stygimoloch being of an immature animal is if the horn core supported a much larger defensive structure, which for whatever reason the adult needed less. Sort of like a larval butterflyfish.

If Pachycephalosaurus did butt heads as some evidence suggests, it seems reasonable to think that only happened in adults and maybe only one gender (males?).  So the longer horns and reduced dome on Stygimoloch and Dracorex, could be due them not needing to butt heads due to not being adults and/or the competitive gender.  The longer horns could be good defense against predators, but at the same time it looks like they would get in the way in head-butting which could make it worthwhile for them to be reduced as the animal became an adult.  If a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus didn't look like Stygimoloch/Dracorex what might it look like?  To me it seems a dome like the one in adult Pachycephalosaurus wouldn't be of use for a juvenile and Dracorex seems to fit in well as what I'd expect a juvenile Pachy to look like.  Scott Hartman has also said he's seen specimens of "Dracorex" with a little nub of a dome: http://comments.deviantart.com/4/3907829/3885062053

Of course, I'm open to the possibility Stygimoloch and Dracorex are valid genera.  Although based on the available evidence I think it's quite possible Stygimoloch are Pachycephalosaurus of a non-competitive gender or/and that aren't yet adults.  As for Dracorex, all the evidence seems to suggest they are juveniles of Pachycephalosaurus or/and Stygimoloch.

Those are my thoughts on this, anyway. :)  I agree that "Dracorex hogwartsia" is a silly name.  I'll be happy to see it put in the dustbin.

(Edited to add a direct link to the Scott Hartman comment.)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on December 11, 2015, 06:16:54 PM

If Pachycephalosaurus did butt heads as some evidence suggests, it seems reasonable to think that only happened in adults and maybe only one gender (males?).  So the longer horns and reduced dome on Stygimoloch and Dracorex, could be due them not needing to butt heads due to not being adults and/or the competitive gender.  The longer horns could be good defense against predators, but at the same time it looks like they would get in the way in head-butting which could make it worthwhile for them to be reduced as the animal became an adult.  If a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus didn't look like Stygimoloch/Dracorex what might it look like?  To me it seems a dome like the one in adult Pachycephalosaurus wouldn't be of use for a juvenile and Dracorex seems to fit in well as what I'd expect a juvenile Pachy to look like.  Scott Hartman has also said he's seen specimens of "Dracorex" with a little nub of a dome.  You should be able to what he says about this if you scroll down a little here: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/?offset=130#comments

Of course, I'm open to the possibility Stygimoloch and Dracorex are valid genera.  Although based on the available evidence I think it's quite possible Stygimoloch are Pachycephalosaurus of a non-competitive gender or/and that aren't yet adults.  As for Dracorex, all the evidence seems to suggest they are juveniles of Pachycephalosaurus or/and Stygimoloch.

Those are my thoughts on this, anyway. :)  I agree that "Dracorex hogwartsia" is a silly name.  I'll be happy to see it put in the dustbin.

I agree that the ontogenetic synonymy argument is pretty strong for Dracorex, but less so for Stygimoloch. It would be very unusual for a terrestrial vertebrate to grow and then reabsorb or shed such elaborate ornamentation as Stygimoloch has. Not impossible, but unusual. But sure, different life history stages have different gauntlets to run--it's at least plausible that you need good defenses against predators when immature, but it all goes out the window in favor of fighting ability as an adult (especially an adult male). That case is weaker for an iteroparous species, but again, not at all impossible. I like to think of Maastrichtian Laramidia as a sort of Cretaceous veldt/savanna--a highly productive environment with just crazy diversity of herbivores of all different sizes. Lechwes, kobs, bushbucks, elands, nyala, kudu, gazelles, duikers, rhinos, elephants...

RobinGoodfellow

Thank you for your kind words about me..   ^-^
I'm just adding some new tricks to my dino-photography thread....  ;)

All the best

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 06, 2015, 06:16:45 PM
[erased image]
By way of contrast, Boley Pinacosaurus. $2.50 at CVS (for those outside North America, it's a drug store chain), and I don't know any other Pinacosaurus figures. Not that this toy particularly resembles any genus. Call it a placeholder. About 1:20.

I think a figure that is actually of Pinacosaurus could be really interesting...: http://ayay.co.uk/background/dinosaurs/herbivore/pinacosaurus-with-clubbed-tail/  It looks almost like a walking table!

Halichoeres

Yeah, it would be so great! I don't know who's best to do it--probably Safari, although CollectA has done some pretty decent thyreophorans too.

Halichoeres

New Late Cretaceous stem-birds!

Geoworld Saurornitholestes (Jurassic Hunters). Unique as far as I know, it'd be nice if it had some feathers. About 1:8.

Geoworld Dromaeosaurus (Jurassic Hunters). This one has feathers, in a very perfunctory way. About 1:10.

Got a bit of a cleft palate. Some problem with the bmp signalling pathway, I guess. Sometimes bmp mutations have pleiotropic effects, so maybe that's got something to do with the feathers, too! Kudos to Geoworld for doing so much research into developmental genetics!

Geoworld Troodon (Jurassic Hunters). One of their better ones. Coupled with the previous two, shows the range of Geoworld. Sometimes they turn out halfway decent, and all they have to do is steal someone's art! About 1:10.

Character Options Hesperornis (Primeval action figures). I mean, who else is gonna make one? I've never seen the show, but this matches the stills I've seen, even if it deviates a little from the real animal. About 1:12.

If David Silva's dromaeosaur action figures come to fruition, future iterations of this group shot will look way different and way more awesome. I think Papo's Velociraptor will probably land here too.

LonticXidi Saurornithoides eating some poor mammal. We seem to have caught it molting. About 1:15.

Geoworld Ornithomimus (Jurassic Hunters). Like the Dromaeosaurus, perfunctorily feathered, to the same extent as Kaiyodo's Struthiomimus or Yowie's Kakuru. The difference is that the latter two were produced over a decade ago, when this quantity of plumage was defensible. But in 2012, come on now. About 1:20.

Nakasato Citipati (Autumn Festival series). Pretty damn good! And it's not often that Citipati is sold under its own name. About 1:15.

CollectA Deluxe Deinocheirus. Supposedly 1:40, but based on the arms, it's more like 1:25. And of course rendered obsolete, but hey, still a good looking figure of...some imaginary creature.

More feathers, please! Still, as Papo, of all companies, is showing us, it's getting better and better.

Sim

Searching on Google images finds a few more "Pinacosaurus" toys/figures, but they all depict a generic ankylosaurid, and not actually Pinacosaurus.  Here's one: http://www.addoway.com/viewad/PINACOSAURUS-DINOSAUR-6-Plastic-Toy-Figure-2202404

I'm surprised that despite being one of the most completely known ankylosaurids, looking very striking, and coexisting with famous dinosaurs like Velociraptor and Protoceratops, there seems to be no Pinacosaurus toy/figure/model available except for these generic ankylosaurid figures!

tyrantqueen

Also, Pinacosaurus has the coolest name of out all the ankylosaurs >:D

LophoLeeVT

WOW.... i have that exact same model..l always thought to be a euplocephalus. turns out that it was a pinacosaurus!!!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on December 15, 2015, 06:55:25 PM
Searching on Google images finds a few more "Pinacosaurus" toys/figures, but they all depict a generic ankylosaurid, and not actually Pinacosaurus.  Here's one: http://www.addoway.com/viewad/PINACOSAURUS-DINOSAUR-6-Plastic-Toy-Figure-2202404

I'm surprised that despite being one of the most completely known ankylosaurids, looking very striking, and coexisting with famous dinosaurs like Velociraptor and Protoceratops, there seems to be no Pinacosaurus toy/figure/model available except for these generic ankylosaurid figures!

Yeah, it's crazy that some of the most completely known dinosaurs get short shrift, toy-wise.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 16, 2015, 03:55:08 AM
Also, Pinacosaurus has the coolest name of out all the ankylosaurs >:D

It is a damned good name! I'm also pretty fond of Talarurus and Tarchia.

Quote from: raptor64870 on December 16, 2015, 03:57:11 AM
WOW.... i have that exact same model..l always thought to be a euplocephalus. turns out that it was a pinacosaurus!!!

It does look more like a Euoplocephalus than a Pinacosaurus, for sure! Although it would still be a pretty lousy Euoplocephalus.

Halichoeres

"Giralia pterosaur Yowie azhdarchid"
Yowie Lost Kingdoms "Giralia Pterosaur". The ulnar fragments that it's based on in have never been given a name, but they're thought to be from an azhdarchid. I hope someone finds some other remains at some point! About 1:50.

"Colorata Quetzalcoatlus World's Largest Pterosaurs"
Colorata Quetzalcoatlus (Exhibition of the World's Largest Pterosaurs). These were originally sold with a gorgeous base, but my copy was second hand and didn't come with one. Beautiful figure, though. Replaced the CollectA version. About 1:40.

"Nyctosaurus Thunderclap Good Dinosaur Takara Tomy"
Tomy Nyctosaurus (The Good Dinosaur). I haven't seen the movie yet, and this is about the same quality as a Dinosaur Train figure, but since a Nyctosaurus doesn't seem to be forthcoming from any other source, I dropped the $4.50 to get it (and an accompanying tyrannosaur). About 1:40 based on the crest.

Takara Tomy Pteranodon (Ania series). About 1:40. Maybe the nicest action figures currently on the market. This could've been you, Hasbro.

The main reason I bought it is the little coelacanth it comes with...

...which is the smallest animal in my collection that isn't permanently attached to some spinosaurid's jaws. Doesn't conform well to any fossil taxon, just another case of a modern coelacanth being interpreted too literally as a "living fossil." Speaking of spinosaurids, this same figure is also an accessory to the Ania Spinosaurus vs. Tyrannosaurus two-pack.

Archosaurs in about 1:40.

Learning Curve/Takara Tomy Adocus (Dinosaur Train). I don't normally buy Dinosaur Train dinosaurs, because they're always species that I expect someone else to make any minute (Safari's Masiakasaurus proved me at least partly right this year). But when they do stuff like Cretaceous turtles, I don't think I can have any such assurance. So this one had to join my shelf. About 1:20.

Schleich Pteranodon (Replicasaurus). They've done some pretty good work in the past. Like most Replicasaurus models, larger than 1:40. I would put this at more like 1:30 for a very large male. Replaced the CollectA.

"Waiphoon Ornithocheirus"
Waiphoon (or some knockoff) Ornithocheirus. I like to imagine that pterosaurs came in insane colors like this. Slightly crude figure, but I'm a sucker for pterosaurs. About 1:25.

Diapsids in about 1:20.

Dilopho

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 19, 2015, 09:10:55 PM
this same figure is also an accessory to the Ania Spinosaurus vs. Tyrannosaurus two-pack.

Do you have any pictures or info on this two-pack? I can't find anything on Google.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: