News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dilopho on December 20, 2015, 07:59:12 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 19, 2015, 09:10:55 PM
this same figure is also an accessory to the Ania Spinosaurus vs. Tyrannosaurus two-pack.

Do you have any pictures or info on this two-pack? I can't find anything on Google.

Yup!

http://www.amazon.com/AG-02-carnivorous-dinosaur-rival-clash/dp/B00LMRGL9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450642847&sr=8-1&keywords=ania+spinosaurus

It might be cheaper elsewhere than on Amazon, though honestly I think the price ($24 including shipping from Japan) is pretty fair. But note that they're small figures, maybe 1:60 or so.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

stargatedalek

Quote from: raptor64870 on December 21, 2015, 03:54:34 AM
wow!!! a papo knock off spiny!!!
It isn't a Papo knock-off, both are JP knock-offs with this one being slightly more original than the Papo.

Halichoeres

Non-dinosaurian diapsids of the Early Cretaceous!

"CollectA Guidraco"
I'll start with the big gun: CollectA's Supreme Guidraco. Probably the nicest pterosaur available right now, just incredibly lifelike. Billed at 1:4, but it's closer to 1:3.

"Kaiyodo Sinemys gamera"
Kaiyodo Sinemys (Dinotales 1.2). As always with Dinotales, version 1.2 is better than version 1. About 1:5.

If these are to scale, Sinemys is a sub-adult. Guidraco might break its teeth on the shell, and even if it didn't, the shell flanges would be murder on its throat, but hey, could've happened. I love the paint job on the turtle's belly.

"Disney Cearadactylus Animal Kingdom"
Disney Cearadactylus. I first learned about Cearadactylus reading Jurassic Park in junior high (it was the pterosaur in the aviary). Somehow it never made it into any of the movies, so it never got any toys other than this monstrosity. Not that Hasbro would have done any better, of course, but I suppose Kenner might have. About 1:15 based on the head length.

With the Yowie Aussiedraco (formerly assigned to Ornithocheirus).

"Kaiyodo Dsungaripterus UHA Collect Club"
Kaiyodo Dsungaripterus (UHA Collect Club). Never really thought I'd own this, but I'm glad I do! It's gorgeous, iridescent on the dorsal surface. Replaced the Colorata version. About 1:20.

Papo Tupuxuara. It's unfortunate that it's naked, but it is miles better than their awful Pteranodon. With apologies to Sideshow. About 1:25.

"Safari Ltd Tupandactylus Tapejara"
Safari Tapejara, although the head looks like it was based on specimens reassigned to Tupandactylus, so that's what I call it, and what I based my scale estimate on. About 1:25.

Pterosaurs!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

RobinGoodfellow

The Collecta Guidraco is one of the three dino-figures that actually doesn't stand up on my shelfs because it's way too big.....  ::)
It sleeps in a box for now..  ;)
( Dinostoreus Compsognathus & Scipionyx are the other two... but the new Kaiyodo BIG Blue Whale 1:35 will be at my home soon  8) ; I cannot resist   >:D ....... )

Halichoeres

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on January 02, 2016, 03:56:04 PM
The Collecta Guidraco is one of the three dino-figures that actually doesn't stand up on my shelfs because it's way too big.....  ::)
( Dinostoreus Compsognathus & Scipionyx are the other two... but the new Kaiyodo BIG Blue Whale 1:35 will be at my home soon  8) ; I cannot resist   >:D ....... )
A 1:35 blue whale! Sounds like you just need a bigger shelf.

PaleoMatt

Oh, my 1:35 Blue Whale!! Please show us a picture when it arrives!

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: TE Matt on January 03, 2016, 07:02:02 PM

Oh, my 1:35 Blue Whale!! Please show us a picture when it arrives!

There are stunning pictures by Brontodocus on the Animal Toy Forum:
http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1505.0

:)

Halichoeres

Saurischians of the Early Cretaceous!

Battat Acrocanthosaurus (MOS). Relies ever so slightly on the tip of its tail to remain upright.

Unlike the re-release, which is an obligate croucher with very soft, squishy legs. I'm not sure which I prefer so for now I'm hanging on to both. About 1:40.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this desktop model marketed by Dinostoreus is actually produced by Favorite. I was all set to buy the Carnegie Spinosaurus, but then I saw this in the Recent Acquisitions thread and I bought it mostly for the gar (I otherwise almost never buy resins). It's a beautiful rendition of what was until recently the prevailing hypothesis of the appearance of Spinosaurus. Replaced the Jurassic Park Papo version. About 1:40.

And a close up of the gar. Based on gross morphology and the likelihood of cooccurence with Spinosaurus, I think the best guess for its identification is Obaichthys. Honestly, though, it may have been modeled on an extant gar, and it would also be perfectly reasonable to model it on a gar known only from South America, because the separation of South America and Africa during the Albian was pretty trivial.

CollectA Xiongguanlong. Has a bit of a growth on its nape, but a pretty nice figure otherwise. About 1:30.

Safari Yutyrannus. Photographs better against a black background, I think. Gorgeous figure, I'm not sure why it took me so long to get it. About 1:40.

Theropod group shot. They're all jealous of the spinosaur's lunch.

Favorite Tambatitanis. When this was first released, the animal didn't have a name yet, so they just sold it as "Tamba sauropod." When it was finally described in 2014, they started putting stickers on the package over where it said "Tamba sauropod," so that it now says "Tambatitanis amicitiae."

Three of these four sauropods are now discontinued. Only the ugliest one persists, which proves there is no justice in the world. EDIT Jan 2017: I'm mistaken, the Safari Nigersaurus is alive and well for now.

Favorite Fukuiraptor, beautiful figure made for the Fukui Prefectural Museum. Replaced the Kaiyodo version for the same museum, which had outdated wrists. About 1:20.

CollectA Deluxe Neovenator, a huge improvement on their god-awful standard version. Like most figures in the Deluxe series, it's nowhere close to 1:40. It's actually about 1:20.

Nakasato "Sanchusaurus." Based on a single thoracic vertebra, but it's very attractive and a good stand-in for a primitive ornithomimosaur, what with the feet and the teeth. Scale? Who knows, let's say 1:20.

Eotyrannus hides his shame.

Kaiyodo Microraptor (Dino Expo 2004). Damn good, regardless of the melanocyte residues that say it should be black. About 1:8.

China representin'.

Mattel Sinornithoides made for the Go, Diego, Go! TV show, as far as I can tell. Pretty cartoony, but it'll do until someone makes one with a full tail! About 1:5.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 10, 2016, 05:58:13 PM

Except for Ichthyovenator, who has its own lunch! And yeah--that Spinosaurus is from Kinto, which makes the Favorite line and also distributed through Dinostoreus (or at least used to, somewhat/sort of?). I also bought it pretty much for the gar...at the time, there weren't any other figures of them out there--now I have about 8, with at least 3 or 4 species!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on January 10, 2016, 06:21:04 PM

Except for Ichthyovenator, who has its own lunch! And yeah--that Spinosaurus is from Kinto, which makes the Favorite line and also distributed through Dinostoreus (or at least used to, somewhat/sort of?). I also bought it pretty much for the gar...at the time, there weren't any other figures of them out there--now I have about 8, with at least 3 or 4 species!
Might still be jealous because the spino's lunch is bigger!   ;)
I know I've made this complaint before, but it burns me that there aren't more specific prehistoric fish figures, especially since some of them have their external anatomy known essentially completely thanks to the dermal skeleton. In the meantime, guess I'll keep buying fish with accessories that are preying on them.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 11, 2016, 03:30:11 AM

I know I've made this complaint before, but it burns me that there aren't more specific prehistoric fish figures, especially since some of them have their external anatomy known essentially completely thanks to the dermal skeleton. In the meantime, guess I'll keep buying fish with accessories that are preying on them.

Yeah, but fish overall get kind of ignored. Sometimes there will be one somehow--and it will be another great white/Megalodon thing, instead one of the many more unusual looking giant fishes (still no Xiphactinus...no Leedsichthys...I guess Dunkleosteus shows up, but it's not the only placoderm...)

MLMjp

Quote from: SBell on January 12, 2016, 12:00:10 AM

Yeah, but fish overall get kind of ignored. Sometimes there will be one somehow--and it will be another great white/Megalodon thing, instead one of the many more unusual looking giant fishes (still no Xiphactinus...no Leedsichthys...I guess Dunkleosteus shows up, but it's not the only placoderm...)

I will definitely pay for a Xiphactinus and a BIG Leedsichthys.

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

SBell

Quote from: MLMjp on January 12, 2016, 12:02:39 AM

Well...I paid for a big Leedsichthys. Two years ago. But I have yet to see anything of it (Malcolm...). But I do have the Xiphactinus at least!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on January 12, 2016, 04:47:14 AM
Quote from: MLMjp on January 12, 2016, 12:02:39 AM

Well...I paid for a big Leedsichthys. Two years ago. But I have yet to see anything of it (Malcolm...). But I do have the Xiphactinus at least!
I'm so bummed that I missed out on the Xiphactinus. And bummed that the Leedsichthys might never see the light of day, and even if it does I've surely missed out on that too.

For prehistorics, I think that actinopterygian fishes in particular are the single most neglected group of vertebrates relative to their diversity. I'm aware of exactly zero toy versions (so FaunaCasts don't count), even though they have a fossil record going back to the Silurian. True, they haven't always been as diverse as they are now, but I'd wager good money that never in Earth's history have there been 30,000 species of tetrapods or even of sarcopterygians at a time.

Quote from: joossa on January 12, 2016, 03:49:42 AM
Great photos as always. :)
Thanks, very kind!

Halichoeres

Ornithischians of the Early Cretaceous!

Safari Psittacosaurus (Carnegie). Last time I took pictures of his pals, he was temporarily MIA. Glad to welcome him back. About 1:10.

Mattel Archaeoceratops (Go, Diego, Go!). When basal ceratopsians are thin on the ground, one takes what one can get. About 1:8 based on the head.

Kind of a wide range, quality-wise.

Sega Pawpawsaurus (Dinosaur King). Dinosaur King figures have such vivid colors, which COULD have happened, I guess. It's hard to visualize a world in which all the biggest animals are tri- and tetrachromatic. About 1:20.

Kaiyodo Psittacosaurus. Go home, anyone else who wants to make a Psittacosaurus. We have a winner. This replaced the CollectA version. About 1:20.

Favorite Fukuisaurus (Fukui Prefectural Museum). Livelier than the Kaiyodo version that it replaced. Couldn't be happier. About 1:20.

Safari Sauropelta. One of 2015's big winners, and deservedly so. About 1:25.

Somewhere along the line I picked up this Deluxe Hylaeosaurus from CollectA. Works well as a prop for the Neovenator, which doesn't stand well on its own. Not good for much else, though. Like the Neovenator, much larger than 1:40--it's more like 1:20.

Man, that Hylaeosaurus really looks like a cow in a dinosaur costume, doesn't it?

Protocasts Hylaeosaurus from your friend and mine, Kayakasaurus. Big improvement! And it's in 1:40 (or at least so he says ;) ).

Kaiyodo Sauropelta (Dinotales 2). I had this in my trade thread for months, assuming it was way too small for my collection, until I calculated the scale on the Safari version and realized what a small animal it was. So I'm glad nobody bought it! About 1:45-1:50.

"Get lost, Wuerhosaurus, and don't come back until you have a Proactiv subscription."

Battat Ouranosaurus (MOS). Has some paint from other figures that rubbed off on it. I actually think it'll come off with a gentle scrub, but I'm nevertheless a little terrified to try it. Love this figure, though. Replaced the GeoWorld version. About 1:40. [edit: it came clean :) ]

Only one nomen dubium in this shot. Not bad.

Libraraptor

How come all the pictures are broken and won´t show up?

Oops, now they do...
Always a pleasure to stroll through your collection!

Dilopho

Halichoeres, what do you mean when you say a figure replaced another one?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 13, 2016, 09:34:35 PM
How come all the pictures are broken and won´t show up?

Oops, now they do...
Always a pleasure to stroll through your collection!

You had me worried for a moment! I recently switched photo hosting sites, so I thought maybe there was some problem. Thanks for strolling through!

Quote from: Dilopho on January 13, 2016, 10:45:19 PM
Halichoeres, what do you mean when you say a figure replaced another one?

I mean replaced on my shelf! I usually only have one version of each animal (sometimes two if they're very different scales). So when I say the Battat Ouranosaurus replaced the GeoWorld version, I mean I removed the GeoWorld one from my collection.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: