News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 10, 2017, 09:01:24 PM
Geoworld Saurornitholestes, soon to be supplanted by the BotM version. Can't come soon enough.

Agreed!  It's great what a big boost in diversity and accuracy dromaeosaur figures are going to get thanks to the BotM line.

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 12, 2017, 05:21:27 AM
You have a truly stunning diversity of species. And that Vivid Troodon is pretty cool.

Thanks very much! I've never seen the WWD movie but I do like some of the toys.

Quote from: ZoPteryx on July 12, 2017, 07:15:23 AM
Geoworld Saurornitholestes, soon to be supplanted by the BotM version. Can't come soon enough.

Agreed!  It's great what a big boost in diversity and accuracy dromaeosaur figures are going to get thanks to the BotM line.

I'm fairly salivating.

Continuing the Late Cretaceous with some carnosaurs sensu stricto:

Geoworld Megaraptor, reconstructed as a giant bald dromaeosaur.
Scale: 1:40
Released: 2012

Safari Deltadromeus (Carnegie Collection)
Sculptor: Forest Rogers
Released: 1998

Australian Age of Dinosaurs Australovenator
Scale: 1:24
Sculptor: Travis Tischler
Released: 2016

CollectA Mapusaurus
Scale: 1:35

Safari Giganotosaurus
Released: 2017

CollectA Carcharodontosaurus
Released: 2014

And some ceratosaurians:

Papo Carnotaurus
Scale: Seo Jung-woon
Released: 2013

Planeta DeAgostini Abelisaurus
Scale: 1:60

CollectA Rajasaurus
Scale: 1:45

CollectA Majungasaurus (Majungatholus)
Released: 2010

Planeta DeAgostini Indosuchus

CollectA Rugops

Safari Masiakasaurus
Scale: 1:9
Sculptor: Doug Watson
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

Still in the Upper Cretaceous, now on to the sauropods:

CollectA Rebbachisaurus
Scale: 1:75
Released: 2008

CollectA Paralititan
Scale: 1:65
Released: 2009

CollectA Argentinosaurus
Scale: 1:80

CollectA Alamosaurus
Released: 2011

Sega Isisaurus (Dinosaur King)

CollectA Ampelosaurus

Kaiyodo Opisthocoelicaudia
Scale: 1:85
Released: 2006

And ankylosaurs:

Favorite Ankylosaurus (Soft Model Series 2)
Scale: 1:50
Sculptor: Kazunari Araki

Battat Euoplocephalus (Boston Museum of Science)
Scale: 1:30
Sculptor: Dan LoRusso

Pinacosaurus, released under the brand Boley, among several others
Scale: 1:20

Schleich Saichania

Starlux Scolosaurus
Sculptor: Maurice Massat
Released: 1979

Imagination Generation Silvisaurus

Battat Edmontonia (Boston Museum of Science)
Released: 1996
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

More Upper Cretaceous critters, starting with pachycephalosaurs:

Yowie Prenocephale (Lost Kingdoms C)
Released: 2002

Geoworld Stygimoloch
Scale: 1:12

CollectA Pachycephalosaurus

Safari Dracorex (=Pachycephalosaurus?)
Scale: 1:15

And some non-ceratopsid ceratopsians:

Xidi (Lontic/Happy Kin/Happy King) Microceratus ("Microceratops")
Scale: 1:5

Safari Leptoceratops
Released: 2004

Sellanomer Montanoceratops (Gimiki's Journey)
Scale: 1:4 (for a juvenile)

Kaiyodo Protoceratops (Dinotales 5)
Sculptor: Seiji Yamamoto

Kaiyodo Protoceratops (UHA Collect Club)

Geoworld Zuniceratops

BlueKrono

Is that really the best Stygimoloch out there? And why are there two Protoceratops shown? I love that orange one!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SBell

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 15, 2017, 02:00:25 AM
Is that really the best Stygimoloch out there? And why are there two Protoceratops shown? I love that orange one!

Given the difficult validity of Stygimoloch, there aren't many. A little one from a TRU set, a big one from Waiphoon...and the Geoworld. There are likely a few others, but not many.

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 15, 2017, 02:00:25 AM

I feel like it's a tossup between this one and the Waiphoon.

As for Protoceratops, sometimes I can't decide between two amazing sculpts. This is one of the rare instances where I have more than one version of an animal in roughly the same scale, and the two versions aren't wildly different reconstructions (like the feathered and scaly T. rex figures, or the biped and quadruped Spinos).

Sim

Do you dislike Oviraptor as a name just because it's such a misnomer? To be honest, I sort of like it because it shows how badly first impressions can mislead us. Like "phytosaur," the name is a little lesson in the history of science.

I generally dislike misnomers, but for me Oviraptor is one of the most bothersome ones.  The meaning of the name is conspicuous, and making it worse is the species part of the name, "philoceratops", which I also find forces one to acknowledge its meaning.  Oviraptor philoceratops is an in-your-face name.

Additionally, if the namer doesn't know certain things about the animal, they should try to avoid making the name that will be permanently attached to it mean things that could easily be shown to be mistaken.  Osborn, the namer of Oviraptor, did the opposite.  It wasn't enough for one part of the binomial to be named for an invented quality, he actually decided the second part should be named after the made-up idea that Oviraptor was feeding on the eggs of a very specific kind of dinosaur.  Osborn even said that Oviraptor's name might be misleading.  The inaccuracy of Oviraptor's binomial was easily shown by later discoveries of nesting oviraptorids.  The point of taxonomy is clarity, so Oviraptor philoceratops is a silly name.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on July 16, 2017, 04:41:25 PM
Do you dislike Oviraptor as a name just because it's such a misnomer? To be honest, I sort of like it because it shows how badly first impressions can mislead us. Like "phytosaur," the name is a little lesson in the history of science.

I generally dislike misnomers, but for me Oviraptor is one of the most bothersome ones.  The meaning of the name is conspicuous, and making it worse is the species part of the name, "philoceratops", which I also find forces one to acknowledge its meaning.  Oviraptor philoceratops is an in-your-face name.

Additionally, if the namer doesn't know certain things about the animal, they should try to avoid making the name that will be permanently attached to it mean things that could easily be shown to be mistaken.  Osborn, the namer of Oviraptor, did the opposite.  It wasn't enough for one part of the binomial to be named for an invented quality, he actually decided the second part should be named after the made-up idea that Oviraptor was feeding on the eggs of a very specific kind of dinosaur.  Osborn even said that Oviraptor's name might be misleading.  The inaccuracy of Oviraptor's binomial was easily shown by later discoveries of nesting oviraptorids.  The point of taxonomy is clarity, so Oviraptor philoceratops is a silly name.

Fair enough. I can see why that would rankle. I'm more bothered by wide-ranging species that are named after restricted localities. Like, virginianus I kind of get because at the time some of those things were named it could be construed to mean British colonies generally, but there's a gull called Larus delawarensis that I've seen in Minnesota, and it ranges all the way to the Pacific coast.

Ceratopsids!

Favorite Sinoceratops (Fukui Museum)

CollectA Xenoceratops

Safari Diabloceratops

Safari Nasutoceratops
Released: 2015

Papo Styracosaurus
Sculptor: Seo Jung-woon

Inyector Centrosaurus (The Real Dinosaurs)
Sculptor: Máximo Salas
Released: 1990s

Starlux Monoclonius
Sculptor: Maurice Massat
Released: 1976

CollectA Achelousaurus

Safari Pachyrhinosaurus

CollectA Medusaceratops

Safari Einiosaurus
Scale: 1:25

Planeta DeAgostini Arrhinoceratops

Planeta DeAgostini Chasmosaurus

CollectA Utahceratops

Safari Vagaceratops
Scale: 1:17

CollectA Mercuriceratops

CollectA Kosmoceratops

Kaiyodo Anchiceratops (Dinoland)
Scale: 1:12

Favorite Pentaceratops

CollectA Regaliceratops

Toyway Torosaurus (Walking with Dinosaurs)

Xidi (Lontic, Happy King) Nedoceratops ("Diceratops")

Battat Triceratops
Sculptor: Greg Wenzel
Released: 1995

Jose S.M.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on July 17, 2017, 05:30:21 AM
My favorite group! Very nice figures.

Thanks! Lucky you, they're one of the better represented groups, and will be even more so after the Beasts of the Mesozoic ceratopsian series.

Today, a moderately well represented group, Upper Cretaceous ornithopods (strong on lambeosaurines, weak on everything else).

Vivid Parksosaurus (Walking with Dinosaurs blind bags)

Takara Tomy Oryctodromeus (Dinosaur Train)

Geoworld Thescelosaurus
Scale: 1:19

Danone Bactrosaurus (Jurassic Park)
Released: 1993

Planeta DeAgostini Hadrosaurus

Safari Gryposaurus

Favorite Saurolophus
Sculptor: Hirokazu Tokugawa

Safari Edmontosaurus

PNSO Shantungosaurus
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang

PNSO Mandschurosaurus
Scale: 1:18
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang

Kaiyodo Maiasaura (Dinotales 3)
Scale: 1:4
Sculptor: Shinobu Matsumura

Battat Maiasaura (Boston Museum of Science)
Released: 1997

Jasman Brachylophosaurus
Released: 1997

CollectA Olorotitan
Released: 2008

Kaiyodo Parasaurolophus (Dino Expo 2016)

Battat Parasaurolophus (Terra)
Sculptor: Greg Wenzel

Safari Hypacrosaurus

Safari Corythosaurus (Carnegie Collection)
Released: 1993

Kanna Dinosaur Center Tsintaosaurus

Bullyland Lambeosaurus

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 17, 2017, 05:28:29 PM
Today, a moderately well represented group, Upper Cretaceous ornithopods (strong on lambeosaurines, weak on everything else).

Why not strong on hadrosaurs, instead of lambeosaurines?  The saurolophines look well represented to me as well.

BlueKrono

Sorry for being fascinated by this Noah's ark project of yours. Would you mind explaining why you didn't go with the Jurassic Park Chasmosaurus and the Dino Riders Monoclonius? And this is surely the best Centrosaurus out there (umm... Youngsters, do not click the following link): http://www.donglutsdinosaurs.com/centrosaurus-brass-figure/

I was also curious if that's the only Sinoceratops out there; it's my favorite ceratopsian. And what's up with that crestless Parasaurolophus?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on July 17, 2017, 08:24:01 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 17, 2017, 05:28:29 PM

Why not strong on hadrosaurs, instead of lambeosaurines?  The saurolophines look well represented to me as well.

Well, I suppose they are at that, in my collection, although it took a fair amount of time and money to make that true. It's a lot easier to assemble a good representation of lambeosaurines, especially Parasaurolophus, which everyone makes.

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 18, 2017, 03:38:07 AM
Sorry for being fascinated by this Noah's ark project of yours. Would you mind explaining why you didn't go with the Jurassic Park Chasmosaurus and the Dino Riders Monoclonius? And this is surely the best Centrosaurus out there (umm... Youngsters, do not click the following link): http://www.donglutsdinosaurs.com/centrosaurus-brass-figure/

I was also curious if that's the only Sinoceratops out there; it's my favorite ceratopsian. And what's up with that crestless Parasaurolophus?

No need to apologize! I'm glad you're enjoying it. The Kaiyodo Parasaurolophus is meant to represent a juvenile, and juvenile lambeosaurines had much less developed crests. As for Monoclonius and Chasmosaurus, I usually prefer static figures to action figures unless the action figures are so overwhelmingly better (like the BotM ones probably will be) that they have to replace the static ones. I don't think the Tyco Monoclonius rises to that level. The JP Chasmosaurus has a pretty good case, but it has to overcome another of my preferences, namely for ceratopsians to be in 1:40. The BotM will probably be good enough to do that, but so far I've balked at the JP.

Assorted Upper Cretaceous diapsids, with updated photos:

Safari Deinosuchus (Carnegie Collection)
Released: 1996

Safari Montealtosuchus (Prehistoric Crocs Toob)

Safari Kaprosuchus

Safari Dolichorhynchops (Prehistoric Marine Life Toob)

CollectA Dolichorhynchops

Safari Elasmosaurus

CollectA Hydrotherosaurus
Scale: 1:65
Released: 2007

CollectA Thalassomedon

Colorata Futabasaurus

Takara Tomy Adocus (Dinosaur Train)

Favorite Archelon
Sculptor: Hirokazu Tokugawa

Safari Champsosaurus (Prehistoric Crocs Toob)

CollectA Mosasaurus

Safari Tylosaurus
Scale: 1:55

Sim

I was also curious if that's the only Sinoceratops out there; it's my favorite ceratopsian.

There's also the Dino Kingdom 2012 Sinoceratops.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Sim on July 19, 2017, 02:18:32 PM
I was also curious if that's the only Sinoceratops out there; it's my favorite ceratopsian.

Ah. While the body on the Favorite looks more accurate I think I like the Dino Kingdom one better because the frill horns are more curled forward.

Ravonium

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 19, 2017, 12:15:44 AM

CollectA Mosasaurus

I think that figure was released in 2014, not 2015.

Halichoeres

And this is surely the best Centrosaurus out there (umm... Youngsters, do not click the following link): http://www.donglutsdinosaurs.com/centrosaurus-brass-figure/

That IS a nice Centrosaurus, but I collect toys (with rare exceptions), and that isn't a toy!

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 19, 2017, 04:04:37 PM
Quote from: Sim on July 19, 2017, 02:18:32 PM

Ah. While the body on the Favorite looks more accurate I think I like the Dino Kingdom one better because the frill horns are more curled forward.

What Sim said. I never got the Takara one because it was at too small a scale. The Beasts of the Mesozoic line will include a Sinoceratops, too!

Quote from: Ravonium on July 19, 2017, 07:41:44 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 19, 2017, 12:15:44 AM

CollectA Mosasaurus

I think that figure was released in 2014, not 2015.

Right you are, thanks! Edited.

Today, the remaining Upper Cretaceous vertebrates (synapsids, actinopterygians, and chondrichthyans), with one new acquisition.

Vivid Alphadon (Walking with Dinosaurs blind bags)

Kanna Dinosaur Center Lepidotes (accessory to Spinosaurus)

cf. Gillicus (accessory to Pteranodon)
Scale: 1:70

CollectA Xiphactinus (Prehistoric Marine Tube). Replaced the Little Critterz porcelain Xiphactinus. The only thing that could make this better is if it were bigger. About 1:85.

With the Bandai ichthyodectid, you can recreate the prelude to the famous fish within a fish fossil from the Sternberg museum.

Safari Diplomystus (Ancient Fossils Toob).
Scale: 1:10

unidentified Sideshow fish (accessory to Tylosaurus, probably a pycnodont like Coelodus.)
Scale: ~1:20
Sculptor: Jorge Blanco

Another one.

Planeta DeAgostini Selachimorpha incertae sedis (Dinosaurs & Friends)

Sideshow Squalicorax (accessory to Tylosaurus)
Sculptor: Jorge Blanco

Safari Cretoxyrhina (Prehistoric Sharks Toob)

Takara Tomy cf. Pristiophorus (Transformers: Beast Wars)
Scale: 1:8
Released: 1999

Bullyland cf. Ischyrhiza (accessory to Pteranodon)

Safari Chlamydoselachus (Prehistoric Sea Life Toob)

Safari Scapanorhynchus (Prehistoric Sharks Toob)

Halichoeres

The last little bit of Upper Cretaceous life in my collection. First, protostomes, including a bunch of new mollusks:

CollectA Parapuzosia (Prehistoric Marine Tube)

Kaiyodo Pachydiscus (Dinotales 1.2)
Scale: 1:55
Sculptor: Katsuo Takuma
Released: 2001

Kaiyodo Polyptychoceras (Dinotales 6)
Sculptor: Eiichiro Matsumoto

CollectA Diplomoceras (Prehistoric Marine Tube)

CollectA Baculites (Prehistoric Marine Tube)

Kaiyodo Nipponites (National Museum of Nature & Science)
Scale: 1:3
Sculptor: Katsuo Takuma

Kaiyodo Triops longicaudatus (Furuta ChocoEgg 4)
Scale: 1:1
Released: 2000

And tracheophytes:

cf. Cyathea (Favorite Georama)
Sculptor: possibly Takashi Oda? I'm not actually sure, but I'd love to know. The packaging offered no indication.

cf. Araucaria (Favorite Georama)

Safari Agathis
Scale: 1:200

CollectA Williamsonia

Halichoeres

The Photobucket purge continues apace. I only bothered to download and replace the group shots in the early part of the thread; there were already better individual shots in my Flickr albums. The group shots are more interesting anyway, I think, since they give a sense of scale if you're not familiar with the figures.

Today, the Lower Cretaceous in (mostly) plastic, starting with pterosaurs:

CollectA Guidraco
Scale: 1:3

Disney Cearadactylus (Animal Kingdom)

CollectA Ornithocheirus

TS Toys Tropeognathus (Walking with Dinosaurs unofficial)
Scale: 1:11

Cog Ltd Tropeognathus

Kaiyodo Anhanguera (Dinotales 1.2)
Sculptor: Takashi Kinoshita

Safari "pterosaur" (Anhangueridae incertae sedis)

Yowie Aussiedraco (Lost Kingdoms A; labeled Ornithocheirus, but the remains the toy is based on have been reassigned)
Scale: 1:9
Released: 2000

Cog Ltd Pterodaustro

Takara Tomy Caulkicephalus ("Downpour", The Good Dinosaur)
Scale: 1:16

Safari Tupandactylus (=Tapejara imperator)

Kaiyodo Tupandactylus (=Tapejara) imperator (Dinotales 3)
Sculptor: Seiji Yamamoto

Papo Tupuxuara
Sculptor: Seo Jung-woon

Kaiyodo Dsungaripterus (UHA Collect Club)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: