News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 29, 2017, 06:40:19 PMNice collection. I want the accessories with the Paleocasts Tully Monster. Paleocasts is apparently taking a short hiatus but if I see that diorama offered, I'll buy it just for the accessories!
They were a complete surprise to me! Sort of a lagniappe. I'll be interested to see if you get the same assortment; if not, I have some in duplicate (Paleolimulus, Euproops) that I might be willing to trade.

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 29, 2017, 09:14:36 PM:D Wonderful collection! Do you have a source for the Dinotales sculptors?
Thank you! I got the sculptors' names from Dinosauriana. If you PM me your email address I can send you the relevant pdfs.

Quote from: Ezikot on July 30, 2017, 07:44:29 AMThank you very much, Halichoeres, for sharing your wonderful collection.
You gave me lots of really useful infos about the figures.

Concerning the starlux figures, here (http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Starlux_Prehistoric) it is written
"The Starlux Prehistoric serie began with five models in 1968, the Mammoth, Diplodocus, Iguanodon, Aurochs and Cave bear. Maurice Massat sculpted all the models of this series".
(Still, I'm not sure it means he sculpted the whole Prehistoric serie or just the first five figures)
Thank you for visiting! I'm glad my thread can be of use. Thanks also for the information on the Starlux sculptor! I searched M. Massat, and it would seem that he was the sculptor for the entire prehistoric line, as indicated at the French site Genie Miniature, which says, "Les animaux préhistoriques de Starlux sont dut au talent de Maurice Massat." That's great to know, and I'll add it immediately to the relevant posts.

On to the Jurassic, with ichthyosaurs and sauropterygians:

Toyway Ophthalmosaurus (Walking with Dinosaurs)
Scale: 1:20
Released: 1998

Kaiyodo Ichthyosaurus (Capsule Q "Marine Reptiles")
Scale: 1:25
Sculptor: Eiichiro Matsumoto
Released: 2015

Safari Ichthyosaurus (Carnegie Collection)
Scale: 1:10
Sculptor: Forest Rogers
Released: 2010

Bullyland Leptonectes (=Leptopterygius)
Scale: 1:18
Released: 2006

CollectA Excalibosaurus
Scale: 1:45
Released: 2017

CollectA Temnodontosaurus

Kaiyodo Plesiosaurus dolichodeirus (Dinotales 3; Capsule Q "Marine Reptiles")
Scale: 1:35
Sculptor: Katsuo Takuma (left), Kuniaki Teraoka (right)
Released: 2002, 2015

Favorite Plesiosaurus
Sculptor: Kazunari Araki
Released: 2013

Safari Liopleurodon
Sculptor: Doug Watson

CollectA Pliosaurus
Scale: 1:35-1:40

CollectA Attenborosaurus
Released: 2011

CollectA Rhomaleosaurus
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

Jurassic pterosaurs, mostly pretty ugly but with a few happy exceptions, especially the last one:

Joy City Ltd Pterodactylus
Scale: 1:8

Tyco Pterodactylus (Dino Riders)
Scale: 1:2-1.3
Released: 1987

Character Options Anurognathus (Primeval)
Released: 2007

Harpactognathus, unknown manufacturer but it's Ice Age merchandise
Scale: 1:15

One2Play Dorygnathus (DinoWaurs)
Scale: 1:12

Safari Rhamphorhynchus
Scale: 1:3

Waiphoon (or someone using the same molds) Scaphognathus
Scale: 1:4

Waiphoon (probably) Campylognathoides
Scale: 1:6

Hasbro Dimorphodon (Jurassic World)

CollectA Dimorphodon
Scale: 1:2.5-1:3
This thing is gigantic. It's smaller than the Guidraco, but it's at a larger scale (Guidraco was a much larger animal). The jaw articulation isn't too obtrusive, and despite some flaws in the dentition, it looks much more like a live animal than the Rebor version from last year, which it replaced. I haven't decided whether to keep the little lizard prey that came with the Rebor, though.

Speaking of Rebor, their Protolindenia is perfectly to scale with the new Dimorphodon. I accidentally broke off one of its wings, so now it's really done for.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Patrx

Man, you really do have a knack for tracking down the most obscure stuff :) Looking at these, though, I can't help but feel it's way past time for some company somewhere to make a real effort to produce a nice Pterodactylus figure.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 31, 2017, 03:20:00 PM
I accidentally broke off one of its wings, so now it's really done for.

I definitely wasn't expecting that at the end of your post!  Is it a fragile figure then?  Are you going to fix it?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on July 31, 2017, 04:21:09 PM

I definitely wasn't expecting that at the end of your post!  Is it a fragile figure then?  Are you going to fix it?

I get the impression that it is very difficult not to say impossible to get the protlindenia wing to stick correctly is like a sheet of rigid transparent plastic. I say it because said figure together with his compsognathus. In my case if I succeeded I would not hesitate to buy another new one.

On the other hand the dimorphodon Collecta is the best pterosaur I have seen in the market surpasses all the previous ones even to its great guidraco. A great figure.

The photographs that Halichoeres makes are fabulous, he is a complete artist.

BlueKrono

Is that a baby coming out of the Kaiyodo Ichthyosaurus, or some sort of piscine scavenger?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: Patrx on July 31, 2017, 03:57:03 PM
Man, you really do have a knack for tracking down the most obscure stuff :) Looking at these, though, I can't help but feel it's way past time for some company somewhere to make a real effort to produce a nice Pterodactylus figure.
What can I say, I'm a taxon completist. I agree on Pterodactylus. I think that applies to the great majority of pterosaurs.

It's a little fragile. I brushed it while reaching for a book and knocked it over. I instinctively reached to catch it, and when I opened my hand one wing had snapped off at the base. As Shonisaurus said, it's just a sheet of printed plastic inserted into the thorax, and the inserted portion is still in there.  I think it would be pretty difficult to repair with glue because the contact surface area would be minuscule. It's possible I could melt it back on, or glue it to another thin sheet of plastic and then try to insert that in the slot in the thorax. I probably won't go to the trouble though, at least not soon. For now I'm okay with it resting in the Dimorphodon's jaws a little damaged.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 31, 2017, 04:33:58 PM

I get the impression that it is very difficult not to say impossible to get the protlindenia wing to stick correctly is like a sheet of rigid transparent plastic. I say it because said figure together with his compsognathus. In my case if I succeeded I would not hesitate to buy another new one.

On the other hand the dimorphodon Collecta is the best pterosaur I have seen in the market surpasses all the previous ones even to its great guidraco. A great figure.

The photographs that Halichoeres makes are fabulous, he is a complete artist.

Thank you, that's very kind!

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 31, 2017, 06:22:05 PM
Is that a baby coming out of the Kaiyodo Ichthyosaurus, or some sort of piscine scavenger?

Yup, it's whelping. I think the fact that it looks weakly pigmented is a nice touch. It makes it look really...fetal.

Now, Jurassic coelurosaurs. I think my Jurassic shelves have the most figures from obscure or oddball companies, because despite the fact that the Jurassic is the period most associated with dinosaurs in the popular imagination, most toy lines are really, really heavy on the Cretaceous.

Takara Tomy Anchiornis huxleyi (Dino Expo 2011)
Scale: 1:7

Kaiyodo Archaeopteryx (Dinotales 2)
Sculptor: Ataru Sugaya
Released: 2001

Favorite Archaeopteryx (Dinosaur Soft Models)
Scale: 1:4

Kaiyodo Yi qi (Dino Expo 2016)
Scale: 1:5

Kaiyodo Compsognathus (Jurassic Park III)

Rebor Compsognathus
Scale: 1:5-1:6
Released: 2016

PNSO Proceratosaurus
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang

Favorite Guanlong (Fukui Museum)
Scale: 1:14

Simba Stokesosaurus (Predators)

Multi Toy Coelurus (Thunder-Beasts)
Released: 1992

Multi Toy Ornitholestes (Thunder-Beasts)
Released: 1993

Planeta DeAgostini Ornitholestes

ZoPteryx

I'm actually surprised how many Jurassic coelurosaurs have toys, albeit not many good ones.  That poor poor Stokesosaurus...  :'(

Halichoeres

Quote from: ZoPteryx on August 01, 2017, 07:55:13 AM
I'm actually surprised how many Jurassic coelurosaurs have toys, albeit not many good ones.  That poor poor Stokesosaurus...  :'(

Isn't it hilarious, though? I mean it really just looks like a cartoon T rex, down to the two fingers, but I usually go by whatever they call it.

Here are the remaining Jurassic theropods:

CollectA Afrovenator
Scale: 1:40

Geoworld Eustreptospondylus
Scale: 1:30
Released: 2012

CollectA Metriacanthosaurus

Safari Sinraptor (Carnegie Collection)
Released: 2004

CollectA Torvosaurus

CollectA Lourinhanosaurus
Scale: 1:50

Safari Yangchuanosaurus (Dinosaurs of China)
Sculptor: Ely Kish
Released: 1995

CollectA Saurophaganax (=Allosaurus?)
Scale: 1:55

Todd Marshall Papo Allosaurus
Sculptor: Seo Jung-woon
Released: 2008

Toyway Megalosaurus (British Museum)

Rebor Ceratosaurus dentisulcatus

Safari Ceratosaurus

Yowie Ozraptor (Lost Kingdoms B)

Safari Monolophosaurus
Released: 2014

IToy Sinosaurus (=Dilophosaurus sinensis, but sure looks like D. wetherilli)

Battat Cryolophosaurus (Terra)
Sculptor: Dan LoRusso

Papo Dilophosaurus

Imperial Podokesaurus

Halichoeres

Jurassic sauropodomorphs. Some real beauties here, but also a couple utter pieces of crap.

PNSO Lufengosaurus

Gosnell Anchisaurus

Schleich Barapasaurus (First Giants)

Safari Shunosaurus

Safari Mamenchisaurus (Dinosaurs of China)
Scale: 1:30-1:50
Sculptor: Ely Kish
Released: 1995

Invicta Mamenchisaurus
Released: 1993?
Both of these Mamenchisaurus figures will soon depart my sauropod shelf to make room for the new PNSO version.

Bullyland Spinophorosaurus
Scale: 1:65

CollectA Rhoetosaurus
Scale: 1:55
Released: 2009

CollectA Jobaria

Invicta Cetiosaurus
Released: 1985? (that might be for the unpainted version)

Starlux Dicraeosaurus
Scale: 1:75
Sculptor: Maurice Massat
Released: 1984

Papo Apatosaurus

Tyco Brontosaurus (Dino Riders)
Released: 1988

Happinet Supersaurus
Scale: 1:65

Xidi (aka Lontic) Barosaurus
Scale: 1:85

Safari Diplodocus (Carnegie Collection)

Safari Brachiosaurus (Carnegie Collection)

Papo Giraffatitan (=Brachiosaurus brancai)

Safari Camarasaurus
Released: 2002

Bullyland Europasaurus

bmathison1972

Love these posts! Nice blend of aesthetics and science/taxonomy. Too bad so many of these cartoony figures (e.g., Dinosaur Train) represent odd taxa; they'd be better done by more replica-style lines :). While I have some stylized figures, I can never bring myself to buy anthropomorphized figures or those representing characters from fictional universes.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 04, 2017, 01:51:48 PM
Love these posts! Nice blend of aesthetics and science/taxonomy. Too bad so many of these cartoony figures (e.g., Dinosaur Train) represent odd taxa; they'd be better done by more replica-style lines :). While I have some stylized figures, I can never bring myself to buy anthropomorphized figures or those representing characters from fictional universes.

Thank you! When I first started collecting, I shunned cartoony toys and action figures like JP. Then I found Yowies, which are a sort of hybrid. Some of them are really nice (Kettneraspis), and some are pretty silly looking (Rolfosteus). I had to add them because there were so many weird taxa, and once I'd started down that road I kept making new exceptions. I held out on Dinosaur Train longer than almost anything, but eventually gave in so I could get things like Proganochelys and Adocus. All that said, I would definitely love to see about 2 or 3 dozen companies purged from my collection by updated, realistic depictions of rarely-made taxa.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 04, 2017, 08:01:46 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 04, 2017, 01:51:48 PM

Thank you! When I first started collecting, I shunned cartoony toys and action figures like JP. Then I found Yowies, which are a sort of hybrid. Some of them are really nice (Kettneraspis), and some are pretty silly looking (Rolfosteus). I had to add them because there were so many weird taxa, and once I'd started down that road I kept making new exceptions. I held out on Dinosaur Train longer than almost anything, but eventually gave in so I could get things like Proganochelys and Adocus. All that said, I would definitely love to see about 2 or 3 dozen companies purged from my collection by updated, realistic depictions of rarely-made taxa.

Luckily when my line gets started, you won't have to resort to cartoony/inaccurate figures of obscure genre. ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Halichoeres

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on August 05, 2017, 06:30:53 AM
Luckily when my line gets started, you won't have to resort to cartoony/inaccurate figures of obscure genera. ;)

Well, you've got your work cut out for you then! I note that the Permian, Triassic, and early Jurassic especially need work, as this next set of photos of Jurassic ornithischians helps demonstrate:

Takara Tomy Lesothosaurus (Dinosaur Train)
Scale: 1:9

Simba Fabrosaurus (Dinoz)

Inpro Heterodontosaurus
Released: 1972

CollectA Scelidosaurus
Released: 2009

Kaiyodo Huayangosaurus (Dinotales 7)
Sculptor: Seiji Yamamoto

Imperial Tuojiangosaurus

CollectA Gigantspinosaurus

PNSO Chungkingosaurus

Schleich Kentrosaurus (World of History)

Safari Miragaia (Carnegie Collection)

CollectA Dacentrurus

CollectA Lexovisaurus

Favorite Stegosaurus (Soft Models Series 1)
Sculptor: Takashi Oda
Released: 2004

Jakks Pacific Nanosaurus (=Othnielia)
Scale: 1:17

Multi Toys Callovosaurus (Thunder-Beasts)
Scale: 1:5
Released: 1993

Dryosaurus, manufacturer unknown

CollectA Camptosaurus

Favorite Yinlong

Uncle Rex

Thanks for the great photos. And thanks for including the scale of the figures - very helpful when trying to display figures that will look "right" together.

Neosodon

Collecta's Scelidosaurus looks more like a generic nodosaur than a Scelidosaurus. I think its about time it gets a proper model.

The early Jurassic and Triassic are are underrepresented but there are just not as many dinosaurs from those times to make figures of. Those hetrodontosaurids are a prime example of another underrepresented area. A Hetrodontosaurus would be rather small though if it was made to scale. :-\

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Jose S.M.

I had that Dryosaurus when I was a kid, I don't know where it went but It was my favorite dinosaur toy at that time.

BlueKrono

I'm surprised not to see the Terra Dacentrurus in this entry.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Roselaar

Such a wonderful variety of species and companies!

I also considered the Protolindenia a perfect companion for the new Dimorphodon, until it broke one of its wings with its heinously sharp teeth...

Halichoeres

Thanks for the visits and comments, everyone!

Quote from: Roselaar on August 07, 2017, 12:08:25 PM
Such a wonderful variety of species and companies!

I also considered the Protolindenia a perfect companion for the new Dimorphodon, until it broke one of its wings with its heinously sharp teeth...
Oh no, so many dragonfly casualties!

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on August 06, 2017, 09:09:22 PM
I had that Dryosaurus when I was a kid, I don't know where it went but It was my favorite dinosaur toy at that time.
It really is pretty nice for how old and cheap it is.

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 07, 2017, 04:55:48 AM
I'm surprised not to see the Terra Dacentrurus in this entry.
What can I say? I prefer the CollectA. Probably the pose, at least in part. Although it is true that the Battat is a different scale...

Quote from: Neosodon on August 06, 2017, 08:53:26 PM
Collecta's Scelidosaurus looks more like a generic nodosaur than a Scelidosaurus. I think its about time it gets a proper model.

The early Jurassic and Triassic are are underrepresented but there are just not as many dinosaurs from those times to make figures of. Those hetrodontosaurids are a prime example of another underrepresented area. A Hetrodontosaurus would be rather small though if it was made to scale. :-\

Yeah, I'm not fond of the CollectA version, but there aren't many others out there. The Invicta is very old-fashioned. It's true that the early and middle Jurassic had fewer dinosaur taxa, and I know many people collect exclusively dinosaurs, but there were lots of interesting sauropterygians, lepidosaurians, tritylodonts, crocodiles, coelacanths, lungfishes, actinopterygians, arthropods, mollusks....

For example, here is every remaining non-ornithodiran Jurassic organism in my collection: crocodiles, synapsids, arthropods, tracheophytes, etc. Includes one new actinopterygian! There aren't that many here, but there are many, many known taxa that would make great figures.

Animal Planet Protosuchus (actual maker unknown)
Scale: 1:13

Safari Plesiosuchus

Safari Suchodus (=Metriorhynchus durobrivensis; Prehistoric Crocs Toob)

Kaiyodo Metriorhynchus (Dinotales 6)

Rebor cf. Gephyrosaurus (accessory to Dimorphodon)

Yujin Henkelotherium
Scale: 1:1.5

Yowie Siderops (Lost Kingdoms A)
Released: 2000

Fame Master cf. Swenzia (accessory to 3d puzzle of Plesiosaurus)

CollectA Leedsichthys
Scale: 1:60-1:110
This year CollectA singlehandedly increased the number of named plastic prehistoric actinopterygians currently on the market by 200%. Pretty impressive. I'd love to see them make a full sized version of this or some other prehistoric fish (except I don't know if I really need another Dunkleosteus). Leedsichthys probably had an anal fin and no pelvic fins, but if CollectA continues to be this taxonomically adventurous, I'm willing to forgive their occasionally getting the fins backward.

Rebor Protolindenia (accessory to Compsognathus, and now, sadly, missing a hindwing)
Scale: 1:1.5

Kaiyodo Eryon (Dinotales 4)
Scale: 1:2.5
Released: 2003

CollectA cf. Pseudoctenis

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: