You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Detroit Zoo's Dinosauria

Started by Paleona, June 24, 2015, 07:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleona

Until September 7th, the Detroit Zoo's (in Michigan, USA) Dinosauria attraction is back, featuring a bunch of animatronic dinos!  I remember this exhibit was also around in the 90's when I was a kid and I completely loved it:

Anyway, I'm not sure how accurate these new models are (many of the theropods still have pronated hands), but it is cool to see a feathered Oviraptor as part of it!  Here's a preview video I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNCYAWXeWQo

Admittedly, many of these look like lifesize Schleich toys, haha. xD  I'll probably still check it out sometime.  :)

Dinomike

Looks like a fun exhibition! The babies were pretty funny looking - plus quite adorable in some way. :)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Arul

Blade-of-the-Moon

Not sure it will beat the one you saw in the 90's..those were AWESOME Dinamation dinos there...these new ones are by Billings and while some of their more recent pieces look better like the Citipati/Oviraptor many are amateur retools of the older Dinamation pieces.

Paleona

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 25, 2015, 03:51:31 AM
Not sure it will beat the one you saw in the 90's..those were AWESOME Dinamation dinos there...these new ones are by Billings and while some of their more recent pieces look better like the Citipati/Oviraptor many are amateur retools of the older Dinamation pieces.

Yeah, that's too bad.  :-\  Thanks for letting me know who created them, though!  Now I can check them all out on their website.
I remember in the 90's when I went, the T. rex wasn't actually working, but I still loved it (and got that picture taken in front of him!)
Looks like this new exhibit might make for an amusing afternoon- the rest of the zoo is pretty excellent, anyway.  :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Paleona on June 25, 2015, 02:02:10 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 25, 2015, 03:51:31 AM

Yeah, that's too bad.  :-\  Thanks for letting me know who created them, though!  Now I can check them all out on their website.
I remember in the 90's when I went, the T. rex wasn't actually working, but I still loved it (and got that picture taken in front of him!)
Looks like this new exhibit might make for an amusing afternoon- the rest of the zoo is pretty excellent, anyway.  :)

Ah that T-Rex was EPIC to a kid back then, heck I still like him.  ;D

I still find myself drawn to some of these exhibits even if they are more cheesy now..there is a bit of nostalgia still there. My first exhibit in 82' was a defining moment for me..really got me into dinos ...seeing the life size ones did me in..lol

I do find some of the old Dinamation pieces on occasion. Even made a facebook page for them, : https://www.facebook.com/Dinamation

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.