News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pylraster's Repaints

Started by pylraster, July 08, 2015, 09:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pylraster

I think it's a silly figure, very inaccurate, but has its own charm. So I sprayed with with Bosny primer, then with Pylox refrigerator white, given a Mr. Color dark grey spray on top, then hand-painted the eyes, teeth and claws.

CityRaptor

I wonder what that color scheme is based on. ::)

Looks as good as that mold can get.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dinomike

Great Indom...sorry, T.rex repaint! Really, jokes aside, it looks really good!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Arul

Great paint job, much better than the original color scheme i think  :D

pylraster

Yup. I based the colors on the Indominus rex. Kind of forced, really, since most of the spray cans I have were white and grey colors left over from my Gundam kit days.

pylraster

I also wanted my own brown running-rex, but that would cost me an arm and a leg, and I didn't want to mess up my original green one. I made an attempt at my very own "Rexie" using the bootleg version. Still don't know how to approach painting the very small eyes so it's a WIP for now. I used acrylics and a brush for this one. Had fun drybrushing the highlights.

Knockoff Running Rex:

Before:

Work In Progress:

MLMjp

There are brown version of this knock off also. This christmas I was in a toyshop and I though I made the best find in my life when at first sight I mistook one for a real brown running rex. :'( :'( :'(

Very nice repaint though, but you need to give it eyes. ;)

pylraster

Not specifically hunting for that brown bootleg! :) This one was a find from a garage sale. And yes I will give it eyes. If I find my small brush. Thanks!

pylraster

Well, finally I managed to paint eyes. I had to use a pin, since I found the toothpick to be too large for the eyes. I also finished the figure with Pylox clear coat just to protect the very delicate paintjob.

This is probably the most I can make out of this mold for now. I know some people may not like bootlegs but I'm happy how it turned out. Drybushing and washing has been a really fun experience for me. Maybe I'll try a different color scheme next time.

Megalosaurus

This turned out nicely.
Good job.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

pylraster

Thanks, Megalosaurus.

Another work in progress: Buck.

pylraster

Learned some new techniques. Here I did a quick fix of delta. Didnt want to resculpt the entire foot. So I just enlarged the toes and the claws

PumperKrickel

deleted

pylraster

Always wanted to see how this look would go. I still say the body is skinny. But I'll leave it this way until I get better skills and tools.

PhilSauria

Nice work! I have been getting more into repaints lately and my first efforts were a bit of a mess! Now that I am taking more time and using drybrush techniques and blending with your fingers the results are beginning to look more satisfying. Never thought of using a pin for the eyes - good idea; I have been trying with a very fine paint brush but never quite getting it even. I have seen a lot of repaints online that I consider far too busy and complex - most large animals have a fairly basic colouration, I don't think having a dinosaur painted like a small reptile or tropical fish looks very natural. My opinion of course. Say what you will about bootlegs but they are a great source of material for repaints if you don't want to mess up an expensive original, especially in the case of Papo figures. Thanks for sharing.

tyrantqueen

I'm no fan of this sculpt, but very good work. The head looks better than the original.

mgaguilar

Absolutely in love with the head replacement and paint-job! Fantastic work!

How was the placement of the new head? It seems like the red pieces were 3D-printed?

EDIT: Also, your Buck and Delta are phenomenal. Would love to have a Rex with that color scheme.

pylraster

No ... they came from a weird two headed rex

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: pylraster on March 07, 2018, 08:51:25 PM

Always wanted to see how this look would go. I still say the body is skinny. But I'll leave it this way until I get better skills and tools.

I remember you posted your journey creating this on Facebook, I'm still amazed by the outcome! :D

pylraster

The long boi is about 90% done. Only few touchups needed.

This Schleich Giga has some teeth at the rear end shaved off, and most of the frog ear fenestra covered up. Thanks for looking

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: