News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on September 16, 2023, 11:48:05 AMVery nice! Where are you going to put it? Near the Dig It! it area and full-size T. rex model?

Yes, hoping to make it part of a small dig site expansion I'm hoping to get to over Winter.

This guy was made by https://www.theprehistoricstore.com/

It's pretty light thankfully so one person can manage it. I'm a little put off on the teeth as they look too uniform, not like the ones I saw previously on their website and facebook.  I did also request no matrix in it but there it is but at least we finally received it. Took a lot longer than I thought.

SidB

As you know, avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , uniform teeth do happen. For instance, I'm married to a woman with incredibly perfect teeth. So perfect in fact that people often assume that they're false (which they aren't). So take some comfort that you're not alone!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on September 17, 2023, 02:31:34 AMAs you know, avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , uniform teeth do happen. For instance, I'm married to a woman with incredibly perfect teeth. So perfect in fact that people often assume that they're false (which they aren't). So take some comfort that you're not alone!

I'll admit it's not unheard of. seems a bit odd is all especially considering that they were pushed out that far perfectly during fossilization.

Here's a few examples of their past Rex skulls :

They did tell me they changed the teeth to a solid foam vs the resin cast ones, which I do think look better :

I can't go to much further back, they started changing the sculpt around 2020-2022.

This is what I had requested without the matrix originally

Blade-of-the-Moon

First, some art :

Now not exactly art lol

I had these Jumanji figures from last year and the Beasts of the Mesozoic smaller tyrannosaurs.  My plan was to do a sort of Lost World theme by combining them.  I think they look pretty good. Jack Black makes a decent Professor Challenger. 

DinoToyForum

Good to see some new dinosaurs under construction! There's no mistaking the Stegouros even at this early stage.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 11, 2024, 04:00:33 PMGood to see some new dinosaurs under construction! There's no mistaking the Stegouros even at this early stage.

lol I think the tail kinda does it eh?  ;D

I'm sculpting this one over a damaged Minmi sculpt I purchased.

I had a minor setback with the Majunga, we had some heavy rain and 50-90mph wind gusts and I guess one caught the tarp that was over him and knocked the whole frame over. It rained on it warping the wood so I had to brace it up and take the legs off and drag it back into the shed. I'm going to try finish the legs up to the thigh then work on reattaching them.  Probably building a tree trunk chest support too seeing as he is so darn front heavy.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 29, 2023, 05:00:10 AMAlmost forgot about the Shapeways store for the park, not a ton there but you can still buy our park mascot figure Big Al to help support us.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/BackyardTerrors
I'll have to consider this for my first-ever Shapeways purchase sometime.
Question: does the base come in sizes to fit both the 1:40 and 1:72 models? I didn't see any clarification on the product page.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 12, 2024, 03:11:22 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 29, 2023, 05:00:10 AMAlmost forgot about the Shapeways store for the park, not a ton there but you can still buy our park mascot figure Big Al to help support us.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/BackyardTerrors
I'll have to consider this for my first-ever Shapeways purchase sometime.
Question: does the base come in sizes to fit both the 1:40 and 1:72 models? I didn't see any clarification on the product page.

I think it only comes with one scale? As I recall and it's been awhile, the wording wasn't legible at the other scale..or it was less so?

Fembrogon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 12, 2024, 03:20:22 AMI think it only comes with one scale? As I recall and it's been awhile, the wording wasn't legible at the other scale..or it was less so?
Good to know; I'll aim for the 1:40 version when I have the chance, then. I usually like bigger dinosaurs anyway.  ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 12, 2024, 05:11:00 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 12, 2024, 03:20:22 AMI think it only comes with one scale? As I recall and it's been awhile, the wording wasn't legible at the other scale..or it was less so?
Good to know; I'll aim for the 1:40 version when I have the chance, then. I usually like bigger dinosaurs anyway.  ^-^

Cool. I got a couple prints of them myself I've never painted yet, I think I gave one away as a gift? It was a cool piece wish we could have added more of park's dinos to the roster.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

The allo looks really nice! Might I ask who sculpted it?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on January 12, 2024, 06:21:10 AMThe allo looks really nice! Might I ask who sculpted it?

Andrew Sides created Big Al for the park in 2014. Wow that was 10 years ago now!  I haven't heard from Andrew in awhile, his website seems to be gone but his blog is still active though no longer updated and his shapeways store is here : https://www.shapeways.com/shops/gorgonzola

https://andrewsides.blogspot.com/2014/07/allosaurus.html

Blade-of-the-Moon

Custom Muldoon/Velociraptor dio on a base I sculpted and painted.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Bit more progress on this one.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 25, 2024, 03:23:58 AMBit more progress on this one.

I'm getting Harvey Dent/Two-Face vibes.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 25, 2024, 12:53:12 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 25, 2024, 03:23:58 AMBit more progress on this one.

I'm getting Harvey Dent/Two-Face vibes.

Definitely a sort of yin yang thing going here lol

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just about done sculpting..maybe some more work tomorrow weather permitting.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Finished the sculpting on the Stegourous today.

Newt

Stegouros looks fantastic! I hope the recent snowstorm didn't do too much damage to the park.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Newt on January 31, 2024, 12:06:19 PMStegouros looks fantastic! I hope the recent snowstorm didn't do too much damage to the park.

Thanks!

Not much, some fencing was lost i have to replace, two trees fell i need to get cut up and moved. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: