You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Silvanusaurus' Customs - New Megalosaurus Photos

Started by Silvanusaurus, August 23, 2015, 12:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

I've finished the sculpting at last, I think. Here are some images of the old rex before painting. I'm hopefully going to get him painted over the next few days while I'm away on a short trip. I successfully managed to keep the jaw hinging action intact, but it's a lot more limited now, and he seems very well balanced when standing.
I had to rush the end of the tail because the green-stuff was drying out, so it hasn't turned out very elegant, but perhaps that works better for this tattered old guy. I think it could do with being longer but I'll probably leave it as it is.
Hopefully all the details will come together nicely when he's painted. What do you think?

Kayakasaurus

Wow! That turned out great. That is much better than CollectA's feathered Rex. I really like your style, every new Rex is a new guess at what it looked like, so it's good to see some originality.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Simon

That is one gnarly, grumpy, tired, curmudgeonly-looking TRex.

I love it!  Can't wait for the paint job to bring it "to life"!

Rain

Wow, that looks amazing! Great work Silvanusaurus :)

Everything_Dinosaur

A most impressive sculpt, some amazing details, keep up the good work and we look forward to seeing the finished piece.

Tyto_Theropod

Well, this is one of those customs that you could imagine walking off the desk! Congrats to you, sir. I can't wait to see it painted.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Rathalosaurus

This is awesome!!! Everyime I see it, I  have to smile!!
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Paleogene Pals

Amazing, a unique interpretation that is very realistic and artistically pleasing, great job sir!

pylraster

That is some fantastic, gnarly old beast. Maybe a little more tapering on the tail could work. I love what you did with the feet!

Dinomike

Fantastic! I love it! Please finish it soon - I want to see it painted! :)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

joossa

Very nice! Can't wait to see more progress.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

KeU

jooooo

Dilopho

Why haven't you been hired as a sculptor by a major company yet?!?!

Silvanusaurus

Well, I've finished the paint job and it was a lot more complex than I planned (just like the sculpt), I find it quite difficult to keep things simple. I am going to take some photographs today and will post them later on, I'm thinking about heading out into the forest to take some naturalistic shots, as I'm hoping I might enter a pic with this guy in for the diorama competition.
I don't think I'll work on something this complex again for a while as it has taken up a lot more time than I anticipated, whatever I do next will hopefully be a bit less intensive, maybe just some repaints.

Silvanusaurus

I have decided to name the old rex 'Kronos' after the Greek titan/personification of time. Here he is, painted and out in the wild:
The colour scheme has turned out bolder than I thought it would, and I suppose it wouldn't help him blend in with his environment while hunting, but I was going for a majestic, regal look without it being too flamboyant. I did use a hint of gold and silver to make the feathering slightly irridescent, but I don't know how well this comes across in the photos.
In addition, this morning I got a new parcel of dinosaurs including the CollectA juvenile rex, which I thought would make a cool thematic and visual contrast with old rex. I spontaneously repainted the eyes and base, aswell as giving the feathers a light wash to shade them a bit, so it wouldn't look too clean compared to Kronos. Here's the little fellow:
What do you think?

Halichoeres

It's absolutely unrecognizable. Which is a high compliment.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

darylj

Very impressed with this. You should be proud. It's inspired me to start a new collection as per my recent thread. Excellent work

Mamasaurus

Amazing work! From the sculpt the final presentation of photos, I really like this grizzled old rex. The "lone wolf and cub" photos are also great, and my favorite is the one where the "cub" is resting it's snout on the big beast.  :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: