News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: DinoLord on December 11, 2015, 06:08:39 PM
Quote from: Patrx on December 11, 2015, 06:05:18 PM
Skull-wise, might it make an acceptable Dromaeosaurus?
It's not quite as deep as a true Dromaeosaurus skull.

Ah, I see, not quite. I guess this figure's just kind of an oddball. Well, there are many dromaeosaurs for which no skulls are known, perhaps it could be a representative for one of them :)

Halichoeres

Now that I'm seeing a bigger picture of the Velociraptor, the head looks better than I thought--narrower, more Velociraptor-like than the naked versions. I could be wrong, though, hard to say with only one angle. Anyway, pretty good year overall for Papo. Guess the Iguanodon is getting pushed back to 2017? Or canceled altogether?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 11, 2015, 06:24:58 PM
Now that I'm seeing a bigger picture of the Velociraptor, the head looks better than I thought--narrower, more Velociraptor-like than the naked versions. I could be wrong, though, hard to say with only one angle. Anyway, pretty good year overall for Papo. Guess the Iguanodon is getting pushed back to 2017? Or canceled altogether?

True forgot the iguanodon. Papo are not formal. Like they have canceled. Anyway we would appreciate it had released that copy.

Many theropods, but almost no sauropods and ornisthichios. Shame about everything that ornisthichios are treated so badly in the toy market.

Rogue1stClass

I can't decide if I love that Baryonyx so much I hate it, or hate it so much I love it. Regardless, it looks like it could lay down the smooth, 70s baritone groove its name implies Ladies and gentlemen, Barry Onyx and the Raptors of Soul!

Victoria's Cantina

I won't complain that we're getting Velociraptor Charlie.   :))

I'm not really feeling the Baryonyx. Surely they could have done something less... monstrous. The feathered Velociraptor is nice though and I like the colors. I just hope it doesn't have stability issues. I'm also pleased to see them repainting the Running T-Rex in the new colors, and I'm especially glad that I have the other version of the T-Rex and the Velociraptor in those colors on the way. Now if we could just get them to repaint the baby T-Rex.

PaleoMatt

So, does anyone have a link to the 2016 catalogue??

Dilopho

Oh, wow! wow wow wow!
Feathered Raptor is BRILLIANT, Kaprosuchus is awesome, and while the Baryonyx is in a weird pose it's SUPER COOL! It has that beard thingy!!!
And the repaints.....AAAARGH! I NEED THESE!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

PaleoMatt

Quote from: Dilopho on December 11, 2015, 06:58:31 PM
Oh, wow! wow wow wow!
Feathered Raptor is BRILLIANT, Kaprosuchus is awesome, and while the Baryonyx is in a weird pose it's SUPER COOL! It has that beard thingy!!!
And the repaints.....AAAARGH! I NEED THESE!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o
^ My reaction too

PaleoMatt

Am I the only one who likes the Baryonyx XD

Mauro "Raptor86"

Quote from: TE Matt on December 11, 2015, 07:00:23 PM

No, I like it too!

Must buy for me!

Dilopho

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 11, 2015, 08:28:48 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 11, 2015, 06:40:42 AM
The Velociraptor is surprisingly good. I'd like to see a good close-up of the head, might be a better match for some deeper-muzzled dromaeosaur. The Kaprosuchus looks great, too--it's right up Papo's alley. The Baryonyx...I'm getting used to. I really like the head, at least.

Wow, strong showing from Papo this year ( why do I feel like a sports announcer?).

I agree, the dromeosaur is very accurate in appearance..it's just not Velociraptor...lol Maybe more like Deinonychus? 

Papo always does excellent crocodilians, this Kapro of course will be a knockout.

Now the Baryonyx..I personally am ok with it.  The head is clearly a Spinosaur..not 100% sure how close it is to the actual fossil but it looks good. I'm a bit fond of the spikey look for spinosaurs.

The pose is a tripod, but it is in a leaping back posture, maybe stepping back from a large crocodile attacking?  Kind of similar to this :

Should be awesome for dioramas.

It reminds me of when Bears do this thing. Heh heh....Bear-yonyx!

SomeRandomPaleoNerd

mmm papo did a great job! finally another kaprosuchus to accompany the safari limited one the baryonyx eh it has bad/good qualities but i can't say much for the re-paints because well they are re-paints but the feathered velociraptor is sure to hit my shelf in 2016
"Imagine if you could travel back in time, to a time long before man"

Dilopho

But when I look at Barry's head, it looks like his top jaw is shorter than his bottom one, with the bottom teeth jutting out of the end...cooL! It's a very unique figure!

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: TE Matt on December 11, 2015, 07:00:23 PM
No, I love it. I think its perfect. Perfect in every way. Ok, maybe an exaggeration there, but theres just something I really love in the very monstrous-ness that others are disliking... and i don't normally like over-monsterfied dinosaurs. I can understand why it seems to have proved controversial however, I think it's definitely an acquired taste. Personally, I can't wait to get it.

Dinomike

I also love the Baryonyx!  Super fat and beafy!  Cool! The head is awesome! Also love the feathered Velociraptor and the sexy new rexy! :)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

suspsy

The Baryonyx is atrocious as a real dinosaur, but it makes for a good movie monster. It's way more scary-looking than Papo's saggy Spinosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoG

OMG what a missed opportunity the baryonix is!!! Beautiful head but the rest....fat, tripod, bmovie monster pose I am really disappointed! Thank God for the feathered velo!!!
Run!

Moodyraptor

I feel like I'm going to have to get the baryonyx just purely because it's so bizarre and unique looking.  I will reserve judgement until I have the model in my hands.

As for the rest - love the feathered raptor, love kaprosuchus, very happy to get a new raptor repaint for my papo raptor squad (though I hope it is more distinct from the original brown raptor than the picture makes it look), and very pleased we're going to get rainbow running rex.  I keep going back to that baryonyx picture and thinking "What the..." though.  It does look like it's about to destroy Tokyo.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I saw the feathered raptor and the first thing that came to mind was the Rebor Yutyrannus. It's just the coloration, and probably a coincidence, but still notable. I really hope the green running rex isn't retired since I have yet to purchase one. I don't have an opinion on the baryonyx, though. I was hoping for something either more accurate or more JP-like. I'll have to see some non-stock photos to judge here.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Rain

I'm sorry collectA, but your 2016 models are going to have to wait a bit. I'm reallly impressed with the feathered raptor, I'm going to buy a few and possibly try my hand at repainting and re positioning.

Also, does anyone else think the running rex's head sculpt looks kinda different?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: