News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

Quote from: Dinomike on December 17, 2015, 09:51:23 PM
Quote from: Andreioli on December 17, 2015, 06:54:01 PM
Hello.

If anyone is interested in a rough simulation of the mouth of the Baryonyx being closed, I played a bit with the catalogue photo.
Result here:
---
I also modified it's pose a bit, just for fun.

I like the Bary, I think it's a great sculpt, inacuracies aside.
Hope the paint app is going to be a close to the promotional picture as possible.

Thanks for the modified pic! I think it looks really cool! Definitely going to get it!

Cool. Much better than tripod pose actually :) but we all knows papo standing issues right ? :D

Kovu

Agreed! That modified posture is awesome, pity the stock photos don't show it that way.
Who knows though, maybe it'll be one of those situations like the Carnegie Giganotosaurus where its meant to be a tripod but if you finagle it just the right way, it'll balance like that...
Maybe?
Possibly?
A boy can dream!

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Arul on December 17, 2015, 11:13:59 PM
Quote from: Dinomike on December 17, 2015, 09:51:23 PM
Quote from: Andreioli on December 17, 2015, 06:54:01 PM
Hello.

If anyone is interested in a rough simulation of the mouth of the Baryonyx being closed, I played a bit with the catalogue photo.
Result here:
---
I also modified it's pose a bit, just for fun.

I like the Bary, I think it's a great sculpt, inacuracies aside.
Hope the paint app is going to be a close to the promotional picture as possible.

Thanks for the modified pic! I think it looks really cool! Definitely going to get it!

Cool. Much better than tripod pose actually :) but we all knows papo standing issues right ? :D

Those pics are really cool, Andreioli! Thanks for taking the time and doing that! I hope your prediction of where the jaws come together comes true, and it doesn't end up having such a pronounced underbite. I did think from the start that it could be the angle and posture that was possibly distorting it. But we'll see for sure when we get him. And I'm definitely getting him!

BTW, for the most part, all my Papo figures stand pretty solidly. Every now and then I'll have to tweak the Allosaurus' legs and feet under hot and cold water. But then they'll securely stay for a long time.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: imnewhere on December 17, 2015, 11:03:54 PM
Quote from: pylraster on December 17, 2015, 10:42:49 PM
Cool. I kept seeing baryonyx at 9 meters, though some say that was a subadult. Or I could be confusing it with suchomimus :P

I just realized how much of the attention baryonyx is stealing from the other figures
Probably because it's a controversial model.  Everyone seems to like the raptor and Kaprosuchus.  Baryonyx is the odd duck.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

LophoLeeVT

well untill photos are released nobody is sure!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Viking Spawn

I'd also like to see the posture bent over more!  Those modified pics would be perfect for it.  Who knows, if Papo receives enough notice from fans, perhaps it will still happen before mass production?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Viking Spawn on December 18, 2015, 09:49:50 AM
I'd also like to see the posture bent over more!  Those modified pics would be perfect for it.  Who knows, if Papo receives enough notice from fans, perhaps it will still happen before mass production?

I don't think so. Most likely it's too late for changes to be made now, the figure is probably in the process of being cast and molded for the new year. Even companies like CollectA who have open dialogue with their fans have never gone back and changed their sculpts at fans' behest.

Saurox

Just can't wait to get my hands on the feathered Raptor. I'm going to wait until I see the Baryonyx from a few different angles before I really mnake up my mind about it. The colour scheme is a lot like a 'megasaurs' Saraophaganax' my partner bought for me a few years ago.

CityRaptor

The quality however should be superior to that piece of junk by far.

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on December 18, 2015, 01:45:10 AM
Probably because it's a controversial model.  Everyone seems to like the raptor and Kaprosuchus.  Baryonyx is the odd duck.

The odd Crocoduck!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 17, 2015, 05:38:12 PM
Simone Maganuco who co-authored the paper responded to several people who had gotten different proportions using the method Hartman proposed and thoroughly explained that it was in-error on the part of both parties. Hartman incorrectly interpreted the data and Ibrahim et al insufficiently documented their materials. To quote Mark Witton on this debacle "These risks were identified in Scott's original posts, and it seems they have been borne out. Nevertheless, it is interesting that Scott and I - and others, according to some Facebook chat - found such similar results: this could be coincidence, or it might be that the published reconstruction lends itself to a erroneous interpretation.". Mark Witton was generous enough to post their reply on his blog: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.ca/2014/09/the-spinosaurus-hindlimb-controversy.html
It is my understanding that Hartman has refused to acknowledge the response and has refused to comment further on the topic of Spinosaurus limb proportions.

Another point to note is the recent paper proposing the validity of Sigilmassasaurus, which could well place the neotype outside of Spinosaurus aegyptiacus (as to whether Sigilmassasaurus is different enough to be a valid genus or perhaps a species of Spinosaurus is another ongoing topic entirely). If this is the case than it means we no longer have any applicable leg materials for Spinosaurus aegyptiacus. Alas the conservative assumption would still remain to base them on the closest relative (which would still be the current neotype) so barring a speculative reconstruction it makes little difference.

Have you seen Scott Hartman's reply to what Nizar Ibrahim said in the comments section here?: http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/there-may-be-more-fishiness-in-spinosaurus9132014  As seen there, Scott then posted Nizar's reply on his blog.

From what I've seen, whenever people have asked Scott what he think about the proportions of Spinosaurus, he's replied honestly.  He's done so a number of times, e.g.: http://comments.deviantart.com/4/3907829/3988157652

Spinosaurus is too incompletely known and poorly understood for a non-speculative reconstruction of it to be possible.  Using relatives to fill in gaps is still speculation, as relatives can differ quite a bit down to the skeleton. As far as I've seen, the relative length/size of most of Spinosaurus's anatomy including the body and the tail isn't known.  Body and tail size could affect its postures, as well as arm and leg size.  All the specimens assigned to Spinosaurus have been very fragmentary, have come from more than one formation and there's a lack of reliable overlapping material between them.

Frankly, I think Spinosaurus has been treated as more completely known and better understood than it actually is.  I agree with what Mark Witton says in his most recent (and very interesting) blog post on Spinosaurus.  This sums up my thoughts: "My personal take-home is that we seem to know less about Spinosaurus than might have been recently suggested, or at least that some issues need to be ironed out before we can develop a clear picture of what Spinosaurus is, and what sort of lifestyle it led."  For all we know, Spinosaurus could've looked like the one in this blog post!: http://theropoda.blogspot.be/2014/10/deinocheirus-revolution-episodio-5.html

tyrantqueen

QuoteSimone Maganuco who co-authored the paper responded to several people who had gotten different proportions using the method Hartman proposed and thoroughly explained that it was in-error on the part of both parties. Hartman incorrectly interpreted the data and Ibrahim et al insufficiently documented their materials. To quote Mark Witton on this debacle "These risks were identified in Scott's original posts, and it seems they have been borne out. Nevertheless, it is interesting that Scott and I - and others, according to some Facebook chat - found such similar results: this could be coincidence, or it might be that the published reconstruction lends itself to a erroneous interpretation.". Mark Witton was generous enough to post their reply on his blog: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.ca/2014/09/the-spinosaurus-hindlimb-controversy.html
It is my understanding that Hartman has refused to acknowledge the response and has refused to comment further on the topic of Spinosaurus limb proportions.

Another point to note is the recent paper proposing the validity of Sigilmassasaurus, which could well place the neotype outside of Spinosaurus aegyptiacus (as to whether Sigilmassasaurus is different enough to be a valid genus or perhaps a species of Spinosaurus is another ongoing topic entirely). If this is the case than it means we no longer have any applicable leg materials for Spinosaurus aegyptiacus. Alas the conservative assumption would still remain to base them on the closest relative (which would still be the current neotype) so barring a speculative reconstruction it makes little difference.

OK. I admit I haven't been paying much attention to the Spino limb reconstruction controversy.

Kovu

So basically the take home message is: We have no idea/God-only-knows/its a mystery.

DinoLord

Quote from: Kovu on December 18, 2015, 04:30:28 PM
So basically the take home message is: We have no idea/God-only-knows/its a mystery.

As with many, many, things in paleontology, that would be an apt description.

If you guys wish to continue this Spinosaurus discussion, there is already a relevant thread hereC:-)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Kovu on December 17, 2015, 11:32:27 PM
Agreed! That modified posture is awesome, pity the stock photos don't show it that way.
Who knows though, maybe it'll be one of those situations like the Carnegie Giganotosaurus where its meant to be a tripod but if you finagle it just the right way, it'll balance like that...
Maybe?
Possibly?
A boy can dream!

On page 2 of this thread, didusineptus, translating from the interview with the sculptor, said:

QuoteIn his opinion, bases make figures unsuitable as toys, and if you try and make dinosaurs that stand up by themselves, one thing always follows:  if I sculpt the dynamic details I want to, issues with figures falling over begin to arise over time, and if I go for more stable features, I then worry about having to abandon too much dynamism.  I always have no choice but to try and find a solution...so, as far as this baryonyx I have sculpted is concerned, I have made it so if it falls backwards, it can be propped up with the tail, and if it falls forwards, with the arms.

I'm not sure if that means that there is a neutral bipedal in-between posture, or if we have to choose between quadrupedal Bary and rearing Bary. Might look better pitched forward, as though lunging.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Concavenator on December 15, 2015, 07:01:07 PM
I love the feathered Velociraptor,when is itdoming out?
From ED said along with Baryonyx will come in the first quarter of the year.

MLMjp

Quote from: RolandEden on December 18, 2015, 08:43:15 PM

What about the running tyrannosaurus repaint? First quarter? Second? Third?....

Shonisaurus

Quote from: MLMjp on December 18, 2015, 09:05:57 PM
Quote from: RolandEden on December 18, 2015, 08:43:15 PM

What about the running tyrannosaurus repaint? First quarter? Second? Third?....

Everythingdinosaur.co.uk news on his Facebook page are as follows in relation to 2015 Papo tyrannosaurus rex.

Papo Papo not be whether T. rex models are made. New for 2016 is this attractive color variant of its highly successful figure running new T. rex. Like all new models for 2016 that will have a hinged jaw and this replica of the "tyrant lizard king", will be on the website dinosaur Everything in a few weeks.

Therefore we will have in a few weeks at least in the online stores.

Another thing is the green velociraptor and Kaprosuchus we will wait until mid-year (minimum).

pylraster

To me, I'll only go  for the new running rex if it does have a retooled lower jaw. Some are speculating that the teeth look a bit different. It might be the case, it might not, but then again, the brown sitting rex did have a retooled head and jaw. :)

Based on photos the rainbow running rex's lower teeth seem less "gnarly"

MLMjp

Quote from: pylraster on December 18, 2015, 10:12:37 PM
To me, I'll only go  for the new running rex if it does have a retooled lower jaw. Some are speculating that the teeth look a bit different. It might be the case, it might not, but then again, the brown sitting rex did have a retooled head and jaw. :)

Based on photos the rainbow running rex's lower teeth seem less "gnarly"

A retooled jaw would definitely great. Just hope that the catalog pictures is not tricking us.

I am very interested in this repaint, I have the green one and it is one of my favorite figures of my collection. I like the green paint scheme, but have it in other colors is something that my brain is telling me. Since I canĀ“t get the brown one, this seems like a good alternative.
I will decide if I buy it when I see good pictures of it, so I can judge if this color scheme works on it.

Great to hear that it will come out the first quart of this year, that makes things more quick and easy

Kovu

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 18, 2015, 08:04:28 PM
Quote...as far as this baryonyx I have sculpted is concerned, I have made it so if it falls backwards, it can be propped up with the tail, and if it falls forwards, with the arms.

I'm not sure if that means that there is a neutral bipedal in-between posture, or if we have to choose between quadrupedal Bary and rearing Bary. Might look better pitched forward, as though lunging.

To me, that kind of sounds like he intended for it to be slightly pitched forward, kind of like that modified picture, but with... I don't know, cushioning, if it falls forward or back.

My brain's not working right now and there's probably a much better word than cushioning for that, but yeah... the semester's over and my mind's been fried by exams/planning for spring/turning in papers and all that fun grown up stuff.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: