News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosaurus new look!

Started by SpartanSquat, August 14, 2014, 06:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpartanSquat

tyrantqueen

So Spinosaurus is now believed to have a dip in the middle of its sail? I can't make out much from the photo, but its body looks quite low slung compared to how I've normally seen it depicted. 

And also, does that mean that new Spino specimens have been found?

Trisdino

Darren Naish tweeted that something new had been found, but that the previous reconstructions of the new look are inaccurate, so take from that what you will.

stargatedalek

aaannnddd the sail(s) look even more shrink wrapped than normally...

I never understood the whole "obsession" everyone seems to have with adding decorative spines all over spinosaurus...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 14, 2014, 06:33:55 PM
aaannnddd the sail(s) look even more shrink wrapped than normally...

I never understood the whole "obsession" everyone seems to have with adding decorative spines all over spinosaurus...
This is Luis Rey we're talking about...adding superfluous spines and spiky bits is pretty much his shtick (much like Todd Marshall's is...)

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Trisdino on August 14, 2014, 06:31:36 PM
Darren Naish tweeted that something new had been found, but that the previous reconstructions of the new look are inaccurate, so take from that what you will.
Where he posted that?
Do you mean this new reconstruction is innacurate?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 14, 2014, 06:30:14 PM
So Spinosaurus is now believed to have a dip in the middle of its sail? I can't make out much from the photo, but its body looks quite low slung compared to how I've normally seen it depicted. 

Indeed it does, sort of like Majungasaurus actually.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Ultimatedinoking

Ok, I'll be the first to say it. It's fat.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 14, 2014, 06:38:15 PM

Indeed it does, sort of like Majungasaurus actually.
And Utahraptor new look, according to Hartman

Yutyrannus

What? Did you look at the skeleton?

How is that fat? That's like the complete opposite.

SBell

Somewhere, I believe I saw something that said Paul Sereno was working with new material--hence the new reconstruction.

I for one welcome the JP3 people to pull a George Lucas and rework the Spinosaurus to have that body shape.  ;D

Ultimatedinoking

I ment the artwork, that is a very tubby theropod.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 14, 2014, 06:40:51 PM
It looks within the realms of plausibility to me.

It looks quite stocky and thick set, like a crocodile.

Even if it is "fat", what does that matter? If that is how the animal looked, then that's that.

Yutyrannus

What's wrong with that? At least it isn't shrink-wrapped.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 14, 2014, 06:48:28 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 14, 2014, 06:40:51 PM
It looks within the realms of plausibility to me.

It looks quite stocky and thick set, like a crocodile.

Even if it is "fat", what does that matter? If that is how the animal looked, then that's that.
Exactly.

Ultimatedinoking

It got ahold of too many mc doubles.  :)

It looks like it's trying to pull itself out of a hottub, with his buddy going over to the air jets.
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 14, 2014, 06:51:11 PM

It looks like it's trying to pull itself out of a hottub, with his buddy going over to the air jets.
So? It's still far better than any of those shrink-wrapped depictions of the species.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 14, 2014, 06:53:13 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 14, 2014, 06:51:11 PM

So? It's still far better than any of those shrink-wrapped depictions of the species.

Shrink wrapped? You mean the fit looking Paulian dinosaurs?
-UDK

Trisdino

This spino does not look bloody fat. Stocky? Yes, but that is not the same as fat.

And shrink wrapped is NOT the same as fit.

Yutyrannus

Yes, those no-muscles, no-organs, just skin stretched over bones dinosaurs ;).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: