News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waste_management

just got my Baryonyx today when it arrived in stores in munich :), it looks a little "different" standing next to the other dinosaurs but i really love it. the quality is very good. The only thing that annoys me a little is that the head is made of softer material than usually so for my personal taste its a little too bendable.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: waste_management on February 22, 2016, 08:37:02 PM
just got my Baryonyx today when it arrived in stores in munich :), it looks a little "different" standing next to the other dinosaurs but i really love it. the quality is very good. The only thing that annoys me a little is that the head is made of softer material than usually so for my personal taste its a little too bendable.

Think of that I disagree I prefer dinosaurs and prehistoric animals are of a flexible plastic, as they run the risk of breaking.

Safari and Collecta and I know that all comparisons are odious unfortunately tend to break. I spend with Carnegie and proceratosaurs velociraptor and baryonyx of Collecta. Other figures and who has them as I know very well are very rigid plastic. I like a malleable plastic whenever you have good texture as this prevents breakage at the drop of a shelf.

Dobber

I got my Bary today too.  ^-^

I'm very pleased with it. I only got to look at it briefly though. It seems to stand just fine on it's 2 legs. I'm tempted to get a second and try and make it a Spino. Is the sail the only thing missing for the PAPO figure to be a Spino?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Concavenator

Please post pics of your Barys
No,you can't turn that model into a Spinosaurus because Spinosaurus had very short limbs and had a sail with a dip in the middle.

empire3569

Mine came in as well, and here are some pics! (they are cell phone pics, so don't judge  :P )

So first, the good. This model is sculpted beautifully, and is packed with a ton of detail. It shows a very dynamic pose, not the tail-dragging tripod from the promo pics we all feared. The paint scheme is also very well done. My model stands perfectly on two feet and is quite stable, as can be seen by the photos, and does not fall to the tripod stance.

Now the not so good. The proportions of the animal seem a bit... off to me. I didn't mind the head sculpt looking more like Spinosaurus, however the head itself appears too big for the body. The front arms/hands/claws look a bit too large, and the back legs look a little too short. However, none of these really take anything away from the model, IMO. Lastly, which is probably the biggest issue for me, is because of the dynamic pose, the model only looks REALLY fantastic from a couple of angles; from others, it looks kinda odd and unnatural.

All in all, I am very glad I picked this one up and added it to my collection!

empire3569

Also, here are a few comparison pics between the Papo Baryonyx and CollectA Deluxe Spinosaurus

I believe the Spinosaurus is still longer, BUT the head on the baryonyx is considerably larger than the Spino's head. Baryonyx is also a little more bulky compared to the longer, stream-lined Spinosaurus. I think the sail from the CollectA could be used to turn the Bary into a Spino if so desired and would actually look quite nice. Hope this helps!

JurassicGeek09

They really don't scale well together, do they?
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

empire3569

Quote from: JurassicGeek09 on February 22, 2016, 10:28:51 PM

No not at all. This is definitely one of the larger-scale Papo figures

MLMjp

Whats up with this Baryonyx? Every single picture I see........The better it looks. :o :o
I said that I will not get it because of its size but I´m going to dispose that for now. This figure is just so eye-catching...I need to see it in person.

Also, what about it´s wave mates?
Where´s Rainbow Running Rex and Feathered Velociraptor????

oscars_dinos

.........being patient and waiting for amazon to get it truly is a drag ..................

oscars_dinos

oh lol just checked amazon has it  ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Halichoeres

Quote from: empire3569 on February 22, 2016, 10:30:29 PM
Quote from: JurassicGeek09 on February 22, 2016, 10:28:51 PM

No not at all. This is definitely one of the larger-scale Papo figures
On the plus side, it will probably look pretty good alongside the CollectA deluxe Neovenator and the WWD Polacanthus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

waste_management

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 22, 2016, 08:46:28 PM
Quote from: waste_management on February 22, 2016, 08:37:02 PM

Think of that I disagree I prefer dinosaurs and prehistoric animals are of a flexible plastic, as they run the risk of breaking.

Safari and Collecta and I know that all comparisons are odious unfortunately tend to break. I spend with Carnegie and proceratosaurs velociraptor and baryonyx of Collecta. Other figures and who has them as I know very well are very rigid plastic. I like a malleable plastic whenever you have good texture as this prevents breakage at the drop of a shelf.

I agree with you on that, and i dont want to be nitpiccking as i really like the figure but the body is quite hard and solid( noticed one of the spike actually broke half of....wich does not bother me as it looks like it might be a battle wound;) but the head is very very soft. As i tend too repaint my figures fully or partly thats a thing that bothers me a little.

Shadowknight1

The Baryonyx looks nice, but I'm running out of space so I'm probably gonna pass for now.  Still waiting on that raptor!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

waste_management

here is mine ^-^....only gave it a little repaint on some areas to make it look more like the prototype.

sauroid

you should have returned your damaged Bary.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Arul

Congrats for you guys who already got the Bary, very good. Cant wait mine :)

Dobber

Quote from: Concavenator on February 22, 2016, 09:38:44 PM
Please post pics of your Barys
No,you can't turn that model into a Spinosaurus because Spinosaurus had very short limbs and had a sail with a dip in the middle.

I am aware of the sail, that is why I asked if anything else was MISSING. The Bary hind limbs on the Papo figure aren't very large either. Not tiny like some of the new Spino reconstructions, but not massive like originally thought.

I agree with what another review stated, some of the size proportions for this new figure do seem a bit off. The head is pretty large, proportionally speaking, with the rest of the body. My main complaint are the fore limbs. It's just something about them....probably the pose and also the size of them...they are quite large. It really is a double standard with this figure. On the one hand, I give points to Papo for making an original pose....something unique. However, it is the pose that really hurts this figure IMO, it just looks odd. Probably because there are no existing animals to compair to so it just looks so strange. Still a very nice figure that is beautifully detailed, but it is such a shame that, like Rebor, Papo has so much talent in the detail, sculpting, and generally finish of their figures, that they seem to ignore even some basic accuracy that even some cursory research would reveal and give a more accurate animal that would still look cool.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

empire3569

I just noticed why, at least to me, the pose looks a little off depending on the angle viewed. From the front, it looks like the animal is lunging forward and slightly to the left, and looks very dynamic and realistic. However, from the side, the right leg gives the impression that he is lunging backwards, as the right leg looks like it is situated too far forward. I'm sure this was done for balancing reasons, however I think if that right leg was moved backward by about an inch, it may look a little less awkward and give a more definitive "lunging forward" pose

terrorchicken

yeah, it looks really nice at this angle. Like its about to attack a rival baryonyx...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: