News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pixars "The Good Dinosaur Toys".

Started by Takama, October 13, 2015, 07:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

I was just thinking about "The Land Before Time" which aside from the young dinosaurs like "Littlefoot" didn't look that bad. I'm talking only about the original movie mind you, have not seen the sequels. But for it's time, and considering it's a children's movie the adult animals looked respectable I think.

Again I want to make it clear that I'm not asking for accurate representations. I don't mind this kind of artistic license in films. I would have just preferred they met somewhere in the middle.

Also, I just started watching "Adventure Time". I quite like it!

Halichoeres

Interesting responses. The Land Before Time didn't even take place in an alternate earth, but it still mixed species separated by tens of millions of years (who were, again, highly stylized). Still, I'm pretty forgiving of Land Before Time, but I was in first grade when it came out and my class actually took a field trip to see it. I suspect that children who are six years old now will be pretty forgiving of The Good Dinosaur as well. So although I kind of understand people's beefs with it, I just can't get too upset.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shadowknight1

Well.  I like the two Tyrannosaur toys, but there's something offputting about the raptor.  It just seems like it's losing hair and trying to compensate with a wig.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 18, 2015, 04:21:43 PM
Interesting responses. The Land Before Time didn't even take place in an alternate earth, but it still mixed species separated by tens of millions of years (who were, again, highly stylized). Still, I'm pretty forgiving of Land Before Time, but I was in first grade when it came out and my class actually took a field trip to see it. I suspect that children who are six years old now will be pretty forgiving of The Good Dinosaur as well. So although I kind of understand people's beefs with it, I just can't get too upset.

Well, at least LBT's dinosaurs were recognizable as dinosaurs.

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 18, 2015, 04:21:43 PM

Yeah, I somehow forgot that they mixed animals from different time periods. I don't know though, with "The Good Dinosaur" it seems more important to get that sort of thing right what with its premise and all. Again, I also expect that sort of thing from Pixar. But all well, when I go see the movie and I get totally absorbed in it and probably shed a few tears you'll see me in here signing it praises.

stargatedalek

I've never seen a TLBT movie in years, but I have to give credit where it's due they have done pretty well in terms of trying to include obscure genera and adding feathers in the more recent movies.

Mamasaurus

Those toys do a good job in remaining faithful to the look of the movie.  :)

As far as the movie's style...I must admit, I am disappointed in a lost opportunity to have the sort of attention to detail Finding Nemo has.  It could have been really fun if, stylistically, it was a blend between Nemo and the Croods. Or even reminiscent of the Ice Age movies. 

It does look like they made a decision to go with the style they have, however, and I trust that the movie will be as heart warming and endearing as their other productions.  I can envision a scenario where some character makes a joke that pokes a little fun at how outlandishly stylized they all are, rather like Dory's comment about not eating fish   :) . In any case, I have been most pleased by all of Pixar's movies thus far, and I am looking forward to this one as well :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 18, 2015, 11:29:01 PM
I've never seen a TLBT movie in years, but I have to give credit where it's due they have done pretty well in terms of trying to include obscure genera and adding feathers in the more recent movies.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I think I only saw the first two or three, and I think in the last 20 years I've only re-watched the first one, so I would have completely missed that.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

pylraster

Reminds me of "You are Umasou". I'm not a fan of the style, well, mostly. The rexes definitely caught my attention.

Dilopho

The styracosaurus has TWO HORNS!!! AAARRRRGHHHHHH!
Also:

CityRaptor

Yes, it does. Kinda like the Chap Mei "Triceratops"....or B.P. Richfield.

And yes, those are Raptors are paleofail material. Also notice the teeth and pronated hands...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Arul

I really like butch and vivian maybe i will get them if they available in here. Vivian made me laugh hahaha. Oh man that vraptor is a prehistoric bald hyena...

Gwangi

Those Velociraptor are ridiculously large, look at them compared to the kid!

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Dilopho on November 11, 2015, 04:38:29 PM
The styracosaurus has TWO HORNS!!! AAARRRRGHHHHHH!
Also:

Look like a munch of mangey jackals, also, are those cattle?! But... how?

CityRaptor

Yes, those are some kind of bovines. Somehow those, humans and probably other big mammals exist alongside non-avian Dinosaurs...you know, despite those only evolving because non-avian Dinosaurs went extinct.
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

The hands..there is no excuse for. But the look of them as mangy fits in perfectly with the "redneck" feel I think they are aiming for.  Recall Mater from Cars..now picture him as a dinosaur.

CityRaptor

Speaking about limbs, I'm surprised that no one so far has pointed out that Arlo seems to have two sets of hindlegs.
Oh no

alexeratops

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 11, 2015, 11:33:36 PM
Speaking about limbs, I'm surprised that no one so far has pointed out that Arlo seems to have two sets of hindlegs.
Yeah, I noticed that. I feel like that's not even a style, just ignorance. I think that compared to the feathers on raptors in other media, this is the best we've got and that we are taking advantage of it. Here's my metaphor example:

" Son, I need you to get a B on your test please!"
"ok!"
The next day: "Dad I got a B!"
"Why didn't you get an A??"
like a bantha!

Plasticbeast95

@CityRaptor: *sniff* *sniff* I smell creationism!

@Blade-of-the-Moon: So, they're Hickosaurus?

CityRaptor

Apparently Creationist Ken Ham accuses it of promoting Evolutionism ( Seriously? ) but plans to make use of the movie. ( Of course! ).  Not gonna go into details here, given the issues that arise with that subject.

Apparently there are 4 Raptors....like some sort of really ugly Raptor Squad.

German Poster, renames the movie Arlo & Spot.
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: