News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pixars "The Good Dinosaur Toys".

Started by Takama, October 13, 2015, 07:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plasticbeast95

Ugly is right, those things are hideous.

Shadowknight1

I really don't like those raptors...

Luckily, the rexes are pretty good looking.  Especially Sam Elliot-osaurus rex.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on November 14, 2015, 10:57:37 PM

@Blade-of-the-Moon: So, they're Hickosaurus?

Basically. 

I mean we have cowboy tyrannosaurs..why not redneck cattle stealing raptors?

tyrantqueen

The raptor reminds me of Nuka, from the sequel-that-shall-not-be-named :P

Plasticbeast95 and Cityraptor, I don't really understand why you're posting in this thread. You both obviously hate the film already (even though you haven't seen it...) and you only ever post to slag it off. It's not even constructive criticism. There are some of us who want to give it a chance.

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 15, 2015, 05:38:11 AM

Basically. 

I'd just rather not see human archtypes used with dinosaurs.

@tyrantqueen: Because its a movie about dinosaurs, and where there's dinosaurs, I'm close by. :)

Kovu

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 15, 2015, 09:55:21 AM

Oh really?  ;) lol
But seriously, now that you mention it, I do see a Nuka-ish vibe to the raptors, especially in the third one down on that poster.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Kovu on November 15, 2015, 09:40:58 PM

Oh really?  ;) lol
But seriously, now that you mention it, I do see a Nuka-ish vibe to the raptors, especially in the third one down on that poster.

Sorry, I'm a LK1 purist :D The original was my favourite as a child and as an adult I rate it as my favourite film of all time. 

Kovu

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 15, 2015, 09:43:46 PM
Quote from: Kovu on November 15, 2015, 09:40:58 PM

Oh really?  ;) lol

Sorry, I'm a LK1 purist :D The original was my favourite as a child and as an adult I rate it as my favourite film of all time.

No worries, just having some fun. LK1 is definitely the better film, but I did like Kovu and Kiara's love story better than Simba and Nala's.

I just checked the wiki page and I don't recognize any of the voice actors playing the raptors, but I do agree that they seem to be going for the "mangy-outlaw" look with them. It's coming out in only a few days in the US, but apparently it's already seen a limited release elsewhere and the reviews on metacritic are all positive. I didn't read any because I wanted to avoid spoilers, but they did all give scores between 70-90% positive.

Gwangi

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on November 15, 2015, 09:14:47 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 15, 2015, 05:38:11 AM

Basically. 

I'd just rather not see human archtypes used with dinosaurs.

@tyrantqueen: Because its a movie about dinosaurs, and where there's dinosaurs, I'm close by. :)

Must not be a fan of Pixar in general then. Human archetypes with fishes, cars, toys, insects etc. etc.

LophoLeeVT

when i saw the title good dinosaur, i thought that there would be some dinosaurus. but there are also humals! and mammals! it not like
they are in a seperate world like ice age3.   
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Plasticbeast95

@Gwangi: Yes, I am not in fact a Pixar or Disney fan, don't hate them, just don't care for them. I'm just here because, like I said, dinosaurs.

@raptor64870: Ya at least Ice Age 3 took on a sort of "lost world" angle.

CityRaptor

In an alternate world still ruled by non-avian Dinosaurs, a Lost World would probably be a place where older, otherwise extinct, kinds of Dinosaurs exist. Maybe something that looks straight out of the Mesozoic, as opposed to the evolved forms found all over the world.

I'm also in the same boat as Plasticbeast95, I don't really care about Pixar or Disney Movies, but I know their bad track record with Dinosaur movies...and this looks a lot worse than their last attempt. 

Oh, and that Lion looks like it has the mane of a Hyena...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 16, 2015, 02:34:04 PM
I'm also in the same boat as Plasticbeast95, I don't really care about Pixar or Disney Movies, but I know their bad track record with Dinosaur movies...and this looks a lot worse than their last attempt. 

I already explained how your alleged "track record" indicates absolutely nothing about the quality of "The Good Dinosaur". Yours is nothing but a biased, poorly researched, knee-jerk reaction to a movie you've already decided you don't like.

And in case you missed it, I'm going to share my last response where you feebly tried to use "Toy Stoy" and "Dinosaur" as evidence that "The Good Dinosaur" would be bad. I'm doubting you even read it the first time around, since you still think you have some kind of proof of the movie's quality.

Not really fair to use the Toy Story "Rex" in your argument, it's a toy dinosaur in the film, not an actual dinosaur. And Toy Story is an excellent movie, all three of them are.

And despite being owned by Disney, Pixar is still very much its own entity under the Disney umbrella. Keep in mind that Disney also owns Marvel Studios, Lucasfilms and even ESPN. Pixar movies are generally excellent, even the lesser films are better than most children movies. Disney Studios more frequently drops the ball on their movies.

What matters with these movies is the team involved and Pixar has a stellar team. "The Good Dinosaur" is directed by Peter Sohn who directed "The Incredibles", "WALL-E", "The Iron Giant", "Finding Nemo", "UP" and other excellent movies that prove his competence. The team that wrote "The Good Dinosaur" also wrote "Up", "Ratatouille", "Toy Story" and most of the other Pixar films in addition to others.

The Disney "Dinosaur" movie was directed by Ralph Zondag and Eric Leighton. The only other movie Zondag directed was "We're Back" and Leighton hasn't directed anything else. The team that wrote "Dinosaur" also wrote movies like "The Water Horse", Flushed Away" and "Tales from the Darkside: The Movie".

Needless to say, the creative teams responsible for "The Good Dinosaur" have a much better resume than the team responsible for "Dinosaur". It doesn't matter that they're all working for Disney, what matters is their previous work.

tyrantqueen

Ouch, gonna need some ice for that burn 8)

Gwangi

And let me drop some numbers here on you two. If you don't already know what Rotten Tomatoes is, it's a movie review website that compiles reviews and comes up with an overall score or approval rating. As an example, "Toy Story 2" has 163 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. It also has a score of 100%. That means that out of 163 people that reviewed the film, ZERO gave it a bad review.

So check this out, every Pixar film with it's rating.

Toy Story- 100%
Toy Story 2- 100%
Toy Story 3- 99%
Finding Nemo- 99%
Up- 98%
Inside Out- 98%
The Incredibles- 97%
Wall-E- 96%
Ratatouille- 96%
Monsters Inc. 96%
A Bug's Life- 92%
Brave- 78%
Monster's University- 78%
Cars- 74%
Cars 2- 39%

So there's your Pixar track record. Out of 15 movies, the only one that rates poorly is "Cars 2" which was an obvious cash grab anyway. 11 out of 15 of those films score a 90% or higher. I don't understand how anyone can make a blanket statement like "I don't like Pixar". Heck, you must just not like films in general. But whatever, film is subjective. But to claim that Pixar has a bad track record with dinosaur films is ignorant because 1) they never made one and 2) their dinosaur characters have been toys so far, not dinosaurs. And to lump Pixar with Disney is equally ignorant when you look at the creative team that Pixar ALWAYS uses, a stellar lineup of directors, animators, story writers, producers and other people that are the ones responsible for these films. People are what make these films great, not the studio backing them.

Kovu

Quick reviews on Metacritic:

QuoteCross-species bonding may have its limits, but it's hard not to find beauty in a boy-meets-beast saga that, by the end, has made it hard to tell which is which. - Variety (scored 70)

QuoteA fantastic and frequently exhilarating feature that showcases Pixar's greatest strengths: technical brilliance, emotional texture, crossover appeal, and an impish sense of humor that takes the utmost advantage of the animated form. - TheWrap (scored 80)

QuoteA mythic, visually resplendent rendering of a familiar coming-of-age story, "Good Dinosaur" soars on the emotional power of the widescreen compositions, which stir deep, almost primal feelings about childhood and the untamed ferocity of the natural world. - Screen International (scored 90)

QuoteA visually breathtaking work of computer-generated animation that is ultimately unable to compensate for a disappointingly derivative script. -Hollywood Reporter (scored 70)

Again, didn't read the full reviews because... spoilers, but the blurbs are giving it great reviews. Only the Hollywood Reporter seemed a bit negative but they still gave it a good score.

Plasticbeast95

*Deleted*

stargatedalek

For what it's actually worth, the graphics we could have gotten.

tyrantqueen

Nice artwork, although it doesn't look like it would suit Pixar's style. I'm pretty happy with what we have now.

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 21, 2015, 11:39:31 PM

For what it's actually worth, the graphics we could have gotten.

I imagine when im 50 and Pixar movies are historical, they would make a Live action remake of the Good Dinosaur that would have this style(only with what we know about dinosaurs being taken into consideration by that time)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: