News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 17, 2015, 08:24:56 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on October 17, 2015, 08:19:52 PM
We don't even know if a sixth model will be released.Weird that it didn't appear on the picture.
We do know, it was confirmed by Safari.
Okay then.In that case,I'm confident it will be a ceratopsian,precisely Kosmoceratops.

MLMjp

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 17, 2015, 07:50:35 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 17, 2015, 07:44:18 PM
I still think the sixth toy will be a ceratopsian.

I also think that metriorhynchid is something other than Dakosaurus. The latter was nicknamed 'Godzilla' on account of its boxy head.

I'm guessing Geosaurus (top, Dakosaurus at bottom):
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-w5x6z4oWQE8/Th6g8vcT9wI/AAAAAAAAHV4/V4gOvEfd7fY/s400/Geosaurus_Dakosaurus.jpg

It's larger than Dakosaurus, the limb proportions match better, the skull is about right, and it's only been mentioned once in this thread ;)

I have just search information about those two and it´s Dakosaurus the big one, I found a picture with the same drawings in the image posted, but in reverse size, who is wrong an who is right?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Geosaurini.png

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on October 17, 2015, 07:44:18 PM
I also think that metriorhynchid is something other than Dakosaurus. The latter was nicknamed 'Godzilla' on account of its boxy head.

Only Dakosaurus andiniensis was nicknamed "Godzilla" because of its head shape as you mentioned.  The other species, Dakosaurus maximus, has a longer snout.

suspsy

Dakosaurus maximus still doesn't quite look like the toy in that photo. I still think it's some other metriorhynchid.

But as I said earlier in the thread, regardless of who's right and who's wrong, this sweet-looking metriorhynchid toy is a win for us all! :)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

You know, I don't think  I ever realized how much longer metriorhynchid back legs could be than the front legs. Is that a broad characteristic of the group?

Also, I like your gif, EarthboundEiniosaurus. What's it from?

John

Quote from: suspsy on October 17, 2015, 09:20:57 PM
Dakosaurus maximus still doesn't quite look like the toy in that photo. I still think it's some other metriorhynchid.

But as I said earlier in the thread, regardless of who's right and who's wrong, this sweet-looking metriorhynchid toy is a win for us all! :)
Here's something to make you pull your hair out:
What if the only name Safari Ltd. even attempted for it was something as generic as "Prehistoric marine crocodile"?  >:D  ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on October 17, 2015, 09:20:57 PM

You're probably right.  I looked at some images of geosaurines again (based on the head shape I think it can be narrowed down to a geosaurine), and the toy seems like it might be more like Geosaurus than either Dakosaurus species.

Metriorhynchids are really fascinating!  I'm looking forward to seeing a better image of this metriorhynchid toy!

Quote from: John on October 18, 2015, 08:50:50 AM
Here's something to make you pull your hair out:
What if the only name Safari Ltd. even attempted for it was something as generic as "Prehistoric marine crocodile"?  >:D  ;D

It would be lame if they did that, like it was lame when they made a pterosaur toy called "Pterosaur".

stargatedalek

I give them leeway with "pterosaur" because they based it on an unnamed species rather than making a generic pterosaur.

I'm trying to refrain from speculation, but alas I might as well join in!

-Geosaurus seems correct to me, the skull is just too narrow for Dakosaurus.
-I think the green theropod could be Coelophysis or Liliensternus, but the way the teeth spread on the lower jaw feels like something I should recognize.
-Iguanodont, large Theropod, and Sauropod(?) could be any number of animals, I won't even hazard a guess.

Shonisaurus

Now we have less than two days for updates Safari completely.

Then we will totally sure.

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 18, 2015, 03:32:14 PM
I give them leeway with "pterosaur" because they based it on an unnamed species rather than making a generic pterosaur.

The toy was based on an individual that hasn't been named because its skull isn't known.  (See Reply #8 in this thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2821.msg77321#msg77321)  I think it was a silly decision to make a toy of a pterosaur that doesn't have a name or a skull known.  There are similar looking pterosaurs that have a name and their skull known which would therefore have been better choices for a toy.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

The fact that they've already made a Dakosaurus for their Toob series should clear this up I think. I would assume that if they'd made a larger version, it would've looked similar to that one.

Sim

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 18, 2015, 05:46:07 PM
The fact that they've already made a Dakosaurus for their Toob series should clear this up I think. I would assume that if they'd made a larger version, it would've looked similar to that one.

The toob one is definitely Dakosaurus andiniensis, you can tell from its head.  The Wild Safari figure is definitely NOT D. andiniensis.  Again, you can tell from its head.  The other Dakosaurus species, D. maximus, has a different looking head.  You can see them both here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakosaurus

sauroid

do you think the twisty gnarly tree in the center of the island would be one of Safari's new figures for 2016? would be really cool ifever.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

suspsy

Okay, just for fun, let's compare our mystery metriorhynchid to some possible candidates.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoG

Run!

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on October 18, 2015, 10:24:30 PM
Okay, just for fun, let's compare our mystery metriorhynchid to some possible candidates.

Great post!  But where is Dakosaurus maximus? ;)  And Suchodus?

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 18, 2015, 05:24:16 AM
You know, I don't think  I ever realized how much longer metriorhynchid back legs could be than the front legs. Is that a broad characteristic of the group?

In response to your first question, yes, longer hind limbs than forelimbs is a broad trait found throughout most of the metriorhynchidae. As for your second question, firstly, thank you for the compliment! Secondly, I don't believe that the GIF is from anything in particular, it just looked cool  ;D  ;D

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus 
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

suspsy

One more day till Everything Dinosaur does the big reveal!

Gwangi

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 19, 2015, 01:17:54 AM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 18, 2015, 05:24:16 AM

In response to your first question, yes, longer hind limbs than forelimbs is a broad trait found throughout most of the metriorhynchidae. As for your second question, firstly, thank you for the compliment! Secondly, I don't believe that the GIF is from anything in particular, it just looked cool  ;D  ;D

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

That gif. is from a short film about two warring tribes who construct their cities on the backs of dinosaurs. I cannot recall the name of it though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: