News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitko

Quote from: Sim on October 26, 2015, 08:54:29 PM
How much of a Carcharodontosaurus's skeleton is actually known, though?  From what I've read it appears most of the skull is known (excluding the lower jaw which doesn't seem to be known?), and the rest of the skeleton is known from fragmentary remains.  Is any of the forelimb known for Carcharodontosaurus?  I don't think we can tell if the tail on the new WS Carcharo is too thin from the photos.  I hope it won't be!

Although a lot of the skeleton of Carcharodontosaurus appears to be unknown, from looking at other theropod and animal anatomy, a number of things don't seem to be correct in the CollectA Carcharo:
-All the openings in the skull are visible as very sunken areas.  I don't think this would occur on a healthy animal.  The orbit and temporal fenestra have also been filled in with a completely different colour, but I can't think of any reason why the integument over a skull opening would evolve to be a completely different colour to the surrounding area.  I think making the skull openings very sunken and/or making them a different colour is done to make a prehistoric animal's head look very much like its skull.  However, this isn't realistic or natural, as we know by looking at extant animals.
-There's something bulging out right above the CollectA Carcharo's arms and I have no idea what it is.
-The toe claws that touch the ground look too long.  The hips look too far apart.

The CollectA Carcharo doesn't look like a realistic or natural representation of a Carcharodontosaurus.  Nevertheless, I find it's a cool figure!  It's too unrealistic for me to want to own it, but I'm happy to admire it when I see it in photos.  The new WS Carcharo looks like it could be a real animal.  I really look forward to seeing more photos of it!  I have a very strong feeling that when this WS Carcharodontosaurus is compared to Doug's older WS theropods, like the Tyrannosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus, it will show Doug's dinosaur figures have improved a lot!

Not much is known of Carcharodontosaurus, indeed. They reconstruct its skeleton after it's relatives like Giganotosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Tyrannotitan etc. Thus they make (up) presumptions about its look. The biggest question (for me at least) is, is SGM-Din 1 a large adult or is Stromer's one a small adult, because both partial skeletons belong to adults.

With the very few figures of this animal we get I see no point in complaining about inaccuracies, minor ones, of course.
:)

Fluffysaurus

So have a look ladies and gents, a closer look at plesiosuchus. What do you think of it. I cant help it but dont like the eyes and teeth very much. http://youtu.be/bz3H893IwPw
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

suspsy

It feels strange and sad not hearing about a new Carnegie figure for 2016. :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

sauroid

Quote from: suspsy on October 27, 2015, 09:59:21 PM
same here. still trying to get used to the reality.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Fluffysaurus

Hope somehow they Will surprise us with doing their own sculpts.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

Doug Watson

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 27, 2015, 06:10:58 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on October 27, 2015, 02:42:49 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 27, 2015, 02:26:53 PM
I'm not sure if Doug can reveal that just yet, as not all of the extant animals have been revealed for this year.

That's correct.

did you sculpt any of the fantasy/mythology creatures? I like some of those.

No, I didn't do any of those.

amargasaurus cazaui

Curious or wondering and figured Doug might be able to say, but are any of these figures closely consulted with anyone in the paleo-world? Give the marine nature of the Plesiosuchus I guessed perhaps Dr. Admin might have given some guidance...were these all done by reasearch only or working with someone related to the animals discovery?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Doug Watson

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 28, 2015, 01:34:22 AM
Curious or wondering and figured Doug might be able to say, but are any of these figures closely consulted with anyone in the paleo-world? Give the marine nature of the Plesiosuchus I guessed perhaps Dr. Admin might have given some guidance...were these all done by reasearch only or working with someone related to the animals discovery?

I just worked from research papers on these except for the Plesiosuchus where in addition to the papers I asked for and was given input from Adam.

Concavenator

Doug,could you post some pics of the originals of the new models?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on October 28, 2015, 06:58:37 AM
Doug,could you post some pics of the originals of the new models?

I'll add some to my collection thread eventually but I don't know when. I am very busy right now moulding 2017s.

Sim

Quote from: sauroid on October 27, 2015, 10:48:33 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 27, 2015, 09:59:21 PM
same here. still trying to get used to the reality.

It felt strange and sad when Carnegie started releasing figures in lots of different scales.  For a long time they had stuck to 1:40 scale for larger animals and 1:10 scale for smaller animals.  Then they started pointlessly introducing other scales, while still sticking mostly to 1:40 and 1:10 until 2010 onwards when almost everything they released was a different scale.  I feel keeping figures to scale with each other was an important part of the Carnegie Collection.  They eventually abandoned that completely, so when the Carnegie Collection ended it had become something quite different to the line I knew and liked.

ChubbyTaco

I wish safari would release bigger models in 2017 like the carnegie dippy.I miss carnegie. :'(

DinoToyForum

JurassicGeek09

I never thought I'd say this, but Safari is really taking a dip in product quality. The paint jobs presented here are less than impressive, the theropods are AGAIN in that "looking-out-to-the-sunrise-and-calling-for-love" pose, and overall look terrible. After CollectA's fantastic 1:40 Carcharodontosaurus, Safari has no excuse for producting a figure of similar quality in particular.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Bokisaurus

They all looks wonderful, looking forward to Shuno... the pretty sister of CollectA's older version ;D

TomWToyForum

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Safari LTD has only officially confirmed the Plesiosuchus, right? Is it possible that maybe the sixth prehistoric figure will be some new Pleistocene creature to add to the reissued set? Or do you think this was just a mistake on the end of Safari's PR department, perhaps considering something like the Doedicurus to be a new figure?

Also, does anyone know when the rest of the figures (and Toobs) are to be officially revealed by Safari? I can't wait to see a close-up of the spoonbill.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: TomWToyForum on October 29, 2015, 09:20:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Safari LTD has only officially confirmed the Plesiosuchus, right? Is it possible that maybe the sixth prehistoric figure will be some new Pleistocene creature to add to the reissued set? Or do you think this was just a mistake on the end of Safari's PR department, perhaps considering something like the Doedicurus to be a new figure?

Also, does anyone know when the rest of the figures (and Toobs) are to be officially revealed by Safari? I can't wait to see a close-up of the spoonbill.

All the new prehistoric animals are officially named. They are pictured and named in the first post of this thread :)

Libraraptor

Quote from: Dinofiel on October 27, 2015, 07:55:52 PM
So have a look ladies and gents, a closer look at plesiosuchus. What do you think of it. I cant help it but dont like the eyes and teeth very much.
You´re right. Sloppy eyes and teeth. But I do love the new Iguanodon and the Shunosaurus!

amargasaurus cazaui

I am already lining up to get a few of the Plesiosuchus and have a repaint done with the figure..I think the sculpt looks pretty clean and sharp and I like the concept of the animal itself, and how under-represented it seems to be in the dinosaur figure community
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

KeU

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 30, 2015, 01:36:48 AM
I am already lining up to get a few of the Plesiosuchus and have a repaint done with the figure..I think the sculpt looks pretty clean and sharp and I like the concept of the animal itself, and how under-represented it seems to be in the dinosaur figure community

Prehistoric animal figure community you mean?
But meh, details right?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: