News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Protocasts Kelenken and Baby Titanosaur

Started by Kayakasaurus, October 20, 2015, 02:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painting preferences

Green/yellow (pictured)
8 (36.4%)
New color idea!
3 (13.6%)
Unpainted
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2015, 04:33:37 AM
You could print tiny pterosaurs via Shapeways?

I've thought of that, but I think I will do it by hand sculpting, and casting if I can.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

amargasaurus cazaui

Small Nyctosaurus are included in the Tamiya parasaur model you could make and then cast or at least use as inspirations
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on December 17, 2015, 06:06:43 AM

I've thought of that, but I think I will do it by hand sculpting, and casting if I can.

I applaud that. It's certainly the more difficult path to walk but they could turn out very cool.

You said this Argentinosaurus would be 1:40? That would be impressive.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2015, 08:35:29 AM

I applaud that. It's certainly the more difficult path to walk but they could turn out very cool.

Thanks! Besides the cost of 3D printing in high detail plastic, it can also be fragile. I ordered a wasp I sculpted, and it turned out great but after putting it back in the bag, later that day I found two of its legs had broke. I have also printed in the regular strong/flexible as well as the rubber-like material, but the detail is only so good. 3D printing is becoming more accessible, and I'm sure it will find it's place in the main stream, if not dominate it. As far as hand sculpting, it's doable, it's the mold making I'm weary of. Yes the Argentinosaurus is 1:40 and I've had it sculpted for a while now, I just decided to focus on the Hylaeosaurus first.

Jetoar

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on December 17, 2015, 09:09:46 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2015, 08:35:29 AM

Thanks! Besides the cost of 3D printing in high detail plastic, it can also be fragile. I ordered a wasp I sculpted, and it turned out great but after putting it back in the bag, later that day I found two of its legs had broke. I have also printed in the regular strong/flexible as well as the rubber-like material, but the detail is only so good. 3D printing is becoming more accessible, and I'm sure it will find it's place in the main stream, if not dominate it. As far as hand sculpting, it's doable, it's the mold making I'm weary of. Yes the Argentinosaurus is 1:40 and I've had it sculpted for a while now, I just decided to focus on the Hylaeosaurus first.

I understand you as sculptor. However the 3D printing in my country is not cheap. However I like to sculpt with my hands because I can touch the details and erase the mistakes and in the case of  the customers that want a special figure, Do the articulations with accuracies  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stargatedalek

Perhaps it would be easier to mold multiple small animals together, like model parts?

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 17, 2015, 01:31:13 PM
Perhaps it would be easier to mold multiple small animals together, like model parts?
Yeah, pieces on a sprue might be more bang for your buck.

As for the pterosaurs, I looked around and there aren't any known from the specific locality of Argentinosaurus, but other parts of the Neuquén group have yielded chunks of ulnae and other limb elements. Not much to go on, but they include indeterminate tapejarids, pterodactyloids, and 'rhamphorhynchoids.' So pick your poison, I guess! Maybe Anhanguera? It's the closest in space and time that I could find an actual name for.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Kayakasaurus

Yes, good idea. It would definitely be easier to cast multiple ones at once. I'll have to draw out what species I'm doing and see the best way to connect and vent them. Relying on gravity and bubbles floating is more complex than injection molding.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 17, 2015, 07:36:34 PM
Yeah, pieces on a sprue might be more bang for your buck.

As for the pterosaurs, I looked around and there aren't any known from the specific locality of Argentinosaurus, but other parts of the Neuquén group have yielded chunks of ulnae and other limb elements. Not much to go on, but they include indeterminate tapejarids, pterodactyloids, and 'rhamphorhynchoids.' So pick your poison, I guess! Maybe Anhanguera? It's the closest in space and time that I could find an actual name for.

Thank you for the research Halichoeres! Looks like I'll get to pick my favorites  ;)

Kayakasaurus

reinier zwanink

Is that a 2 limbed pterosaur without feet? ;)
And did i read something about a argentinosaur???
Nice

amargasaurus cazaui

If you finalize and are ready to do something with the lepto at any time feel free to message me so I am in on it in case they are limited or whatever, make sure I dont miss that one please and thanks, in case I am busy and fail to read this thread.If it makes it simpler, consider this a pre order for at least one piece.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: reinier zwanink on December 20, 2015, 10:36:32 AM
Is that a 2 limbed pterosaur without feet? ;)
And did i read something about a argentinosaur???
Nice

I just drew the limbs on the left side facing us, he has one hand and one foot.  ;)

Yup! There is a preview on my business card on the page before this  :) He's been sculpted for a while, and I'll make a mold as soon as I can, I'm focusing on Hylaeosaurus first though.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 20, 2015, 04:15:56 PM
If you finalize and are ready to do something with the lepto at any time feel free to message me so I am in on it in case they are limited or whatever, make sure I dont miss that one please and thanks, in case I am busy and fail to read this thread.If it makes it simpler, consider this a pre order for at least one piece.

You bet! I'll make sure you get one  :)

Dilopho

Hmm...I live in the Uk. If in the future, I bought one (they are VERY cool!) how much would it be? In pounds?

Kayakasaurus

Unpainted is $11 (7.42 pounds) painted $15 (10.12 pounds). Shipping outside the USA is 7.42 pounds. There may be a PayPal currency conversion fee, but it would be small.

Bucklander

I bought one of the red adults, a nest and 2 babies. They arrived just before Christmas and just let me say, Wow! They are awesome. The detail is really fine and crisp, the sculpt is elegant, the paint app excellent and the price, especially considering these are not mass produced in China is incredibly cheap. I absolutely love them! Kayakasaurus is a seriously talented artist. These are easily as good (if not better) than anything being put out by any of the major companies. Safari ltd., CollectA, Papo, look out!

Thank you very, very much Clayton for your excellent work. :)

PaleoMatt

Quote from: Bucklander on December 30, 2015, 12:04:28 AM
I bought one of the red adults, a nest and 2 babies. They arrived just before Christmas and just let me say, Wow! They are awesome. The detail is really fine and crisp, the sculpt is elegant, the paint app excellent and the price, especially considering these are not mass produced in China is incredibly cheap. I absolutely love them! Kayakasaurus is a seriously talented artist. These are easily as good (if not better) than anything being put out by any of the major companies. Safari ltd., CollectA, Papo, look out!

Mine arrived on Christmas Eve!

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: TE Matt on December 30, 2015, 09:42:38 AM
Quote from: Bucklander on December 30, 2015, 12:04:28 AM

Mine arrived on Christmas Eve!

Oh I didn't know you got it, sounds like it had perfect timing!

Kayakasaurus

News:

I went to ship two packages today and they told me there was a price increase on international shipping :P thanks Obama  ::). For you guys who don't know much about American politics, now you know our current president allowed this to happen.

In all seriousness, I'll update international shipping to $14 when I price the Argentinosaurus, since I'll need to get prices for that too.

On a more positive note, I'll post an Argentinosaurus preview :D...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: