You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Deinonychus Trio: "Cerberus Clan"

Started by joossa, November 05, 2015, 05:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

At first glance it looks quite good, a lot better than the silhouette, but I have to echo having a problem with the sculpting of the feathers. To me, it isn't the fact that it looks like hair, which is fair enough, it's the way it looks like the details have been quite amateurishly scratched into the sculpting material, with little attention to details that would make it look elegant and natural (as seen in Papo's raptor). It's a quick and easy way to do either feathers or hair, and to me it just looks bad, especially on a 'professionally' sculpted figure, but I've observed the same problem in their other pieces (the smaller ones particularly) where the 'wrinkles' of skin also look fairly crudely scratched into the surface. I may still be interested in buying them if the colour application is great, as that could make these details less obvious. But it is becoming more and more obvious to me that Rebor struggles to create convincing detail on closer inspection of their models.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

tanystropheus

I hope the 3 raptors have varying poses (not too dynamic or we might have issues with stability) and are not simply colored variants of one another.

joossa

New updates. Deinonychus Trio will:
a) Be sold in one set.
b) Each raptor will have its own color scheme.
c) Have a bendable neck and tail and possibly legs.
d) Have an articulated lower jaw.
e) Have poseable arms like the Utahraptor "Wind Hunter".

First post of this thread has all the info and pictures thus far.

New pictures of unpainted/unfinished figure:

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Silvanusaurus

If the necks and possibly legs are bendable then I'm betting they will each be in the same 'default' pose... I'm not sure how I feel about having bending articulation in these, as it can be quite hit and miss...

Victoria's Cantina

I mostly like the look of these. They're small, feathered, and fun. The feet do look a little big. Maybe these will change the lifelong image that springs to mind when I think of Deinonychus:

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on June 27, 2016, 06:59:25 PM
If the necks and possibly legs are bendable then I'm betting they will each be in the same 'default' pose... I'm not sure how I feel about having bending articulation in these, as it can be quite hit and miss...
I don't mind bendy articulation in the neck or tail, but I want these little fellas to have solid legs.

You know, this is just a little weird.  This year, we've had two companies who are best known for scaly Jurassic Park-like dinosaurs putting out very accurate, if not 100%, feathered dromaeosaurs.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

stargatedalek

The feather texture bothers me. It's textured like long fur or "bristley" feathers like emu, but it attaches to the body as if they were complex feathers. It's like a cat having woolly mammoth hair but that hair still being cat hair length because magic.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on June 28, 2016, 01:20:40 AM
I don't mind bendy articulation in the neck or tail, but I want these little fellas to have solid legs.

I'm actually more worried about the detachable arms falling off. That was one of the issues with the Utahraptor.

Dinomike

I'm kinda liking what I see here. I think the bendable neck sounds interesting but don't kow how it will last. I remember the old Kenner Coelophysis used to have this feature and they worked fine. Can't wait to see them painted.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 28, 2016, 05:53:28 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on June 28, 2016, 01:20:40 AM

I'm actually more worried about the detachable arms falling off. That was one of the issues with the Utahraptor.

The arms falling out was one of the things they corrected when they revised the Utahraptor to (mostly) fix the leaning issue. In fact, it's kind of the opposite problem now. They fit in there so tightly that they'll probably break if I try to pull them out or rotate them. Hopefully they found the right balance with the Deinonychus trio.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 28, 2016, 05:53:28 AM
That doesn't worry me in the least.  I can fix that with super glue.  You can't fix bendy wire breaking.

Silvanusaurus

Are the necks even going to long enough to have much bendability? In my experience with bendy wires, they only bend really well when they are long, otherwise they just seem to strain the plastic. my worry about the legs being bendable is that it could result in them warping out of shape easily, or just being quite flacid. I'll say one interesting thing about Rebor; they do certainly seem to try new formats very regularly, for better or worse.   

utd7

I have not been interested in REBOR's products lately but this set will get me really excited and will surely buy them no question. Dromaeosaurs aren't my favourite group of dinosaurs but something about them really fascinates me, it could possibly be the Jurassic Park connection since Raptors are the main dino stars in that iconic franchise we all love.
We live in a Jurassic World

Shadowknight1

Quote from: utd7 on July 10, 2016, 05:25:56 PM
I have not been interested in REBOR's products lately but this set will get me really excited and will surely buy them no question. Dromaeosaurs aren't my favourite group of dinosaurs but something about them really fascinates me, it could possibly be the Jurassic Park connection since Raptors are the main dino stars in that iconic franchise we all love.
And for once, they're going to have products to (hopefully)please both accuracy nuts with Cerberus Clan and JP lovers with Winston.

PaleoMatt

I'm not usually a Rebor guy, but these look great.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 10, 2016, 11:13:00 PM
Quote from: utd7 on July 10, 2016, 05:25:56 PM
And for once, they're going to have products to (hopefully)please both accuracy nuts with Cerberus Clan and JP lovers with Winston.

And, that was REBOR's philosophy to begin with but most folks still haven't figured it out  :(
REBOR wants to cater to the 'awesomebro' and 'paleonerd' crowds.
Occasionally, their figures get stuck in the middle. Hopefully, with time, experience and a healthy dose of constructive criticism, REBOR will perfect their craftsmanship.
I look forward to their Mosasaur product(s) and their super-accurate winter variant Y-rex  >:D

Sim

Quote from: Arul on June 25, 2016, 02:55:12 PM
How about your opinion guys ? The feather ? the skeletal structure ? Etc

[deleted defunct image]

I think it's the best-looking of Rebor's figures so far.  I don't think the grooves on the figure's claws would be visible on the living animal though due to being for the attachment of the external claw.  The sickle claw also looks so short!  It looks like it's even shorter than in Scott Hartman's outdated Deinonychus skeletal:

Here's Scott Hartman's current Deinonychus skeletal, notice the longer extension on the sickle claw (in black):

[deleted defunct image]
In this photo, it looks like the Deinonychus's fingers come out of its wrist?  I think a part of the second and third finger should be connected by skin as seen in Scott Hartman's skeletal (the black between the second and third finger).

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Sim on July 15, 2016, 12:10:41 AM

In this photo, it looks like the Deinonychus's fingers come out of its wrist?  I think a part of the second and third finger should be connected by skin as seen in Scott Hartman's skeletal (the black between the second and third finger).

I don't know if it's just me, but in the above picture where you can see the hands beneath the wing, they look really bad... The fingers look more like knobbly branches off a tree, and the 'wing' appears to just be stuck on top of hand, rather than a natural extension of it. There's just something really half-hearted about it than seems more irritating the more times I look at these pictures.

Halichoeres

I agree that the wings look like a literal afterthought. At the same time, I'm maybe willing to give Rebor a little credit for trying? The feathers are much less perfunctory than some of their mangier offerings.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: