News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2016

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, November 06, 2015, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Back to the actual topic,does anyone have real life pics of any of these?

suspsy

I don't believe any of them are out yet.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on February 14, 2016, 09:37:34 PM
I don't believe any of them are out yet.

I've been told that some have been released...when they might actually be for sale, in an actual store, is anyone's guess. Have I mentioned how slow the Canadian distribtuor is!? ^-^ ::)

suspsy

Nope. Both 2016 T. rex figures are in the Standard class. Kind of a shame. The Hunting Rex would have made a nice Momma figure to complete the family.

suspsy

It's an absolutely magnificent sculpt. And I don't mind the colours at all. I think that we humans have too much of a tendency to judge dinosaurs by the same standards as modern mammals. With a few rare exceptions, drabness is the norm among large extant mammals, especially carnivores, and so we assume that dinosaurs needed to have muted colours in order to blend in, to hide, to survive. But the fact of the matter is, dinosaurs inhabited a completely different world from ours. They are not subject to today's rules of survival.

stargatedalek

I don't mind the fact that the colours are bright, I just find them unnaturally placed. If the whole animal was bright they might look better.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 15, 2016, 01:13:12 AM
I don't mind the fact that the colours are bright, I just find them unnaturally placed. If the whole animal was bright they might look better.

Well, there are lots of modern animals where the male has bright colors only on his head, so I actually like CollectA's dinosaurs having brightly colored markings on their heads.(especially the ceratopsians)
I am the Dinosaur King!

stargatedalek

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 15, 2016, 01:55:12 AM
Yes, I meant that I don't like too much those specific colours which make too much contrast with the rest of the body, at least to my eye. I've seen a duller colour repaint in a collection thread here that looks wonderful, but I wouldn't mind a colourful paint scheme if more organic.
It looks like two separate colour schemes.

suspsy

It's no different from many modern birds. And reptiles for that matter.

MLMjp

The colors are ok for me.

Its the mohawk what turns me off :( Sadly, because as you have said, the rest of the figure is very well done (altough that base....).

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 15, 2016, 01:55:12 AM
Yes, I meant that I don't like too much those specific colours which make too much contrast with the rest of the body, at least to my eye. I've seen a duller colour repaint in a collection thread here that looks wonderful, but I wouldn't mind a colourful paint scheme if more organic.

Personally I agree about the colours, which has put me off buying the figure. I don't think it's because they are bright, or even the specific colours themselves, I think it's just that CollectA's paint applications are very flat and have no depth; there are no variances in shade in the colours on this rex that allow it to look natural or believable. I think it's the brightness combined with the flatness, and the sheerness of it against the equally flat brown, that make it look gaudy and un-natural. That's just my view on it though.

sauroid

i.e. the paint app. looks cheap on an otherwise very well done sculpt.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on February 15, 2016, 06:17:16 AM

Its the mohawk what turns me off :( Sadly, because as you have said, the rest of the figure is very well done (altough that base....).

without the base the figure wouldn't have any hope of standing. Actually even with it mine has fell 3 times now.

MLMjp

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2016, 09:25:41 AM

without the base the figure wouldn't have any hope of standing. Actually even with it mine has fell 3 times now.

Maybe if they had made the legs and feet a bit thicker (without making them oversize) like the battat Tyrannosaurus. The part bellow the knees lacks a bit of musculature in my opinion

Dinoguy2

Little disappointed to see how big the Struthiomimus is. When I read 6cm tall on Everything Dinosaur I thought it might be close to 1:40. But the posture is more horizontal so it's closer in size to Gallimimus and "Struthiomimus" sedens at that scale.

The Deinocheirus would work at 1:40 though, if based on the smaller individual:

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

Really? That's really strange. Is yours bending over too far?

Dobber

Quote from: suspsy on February 14, 2016, 11:40:47 PM
Nope. Both 2016 T. rex figures are in the Standard class. Kind of a shame. The Hunting Rex would have made a nice Momma figure to complete the family.

Really?? I thought the corpse was the Delux size.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

suspsy

Nope, it's Standard. Someone posted a display photo from the Nuremberg Toy Fair a couple of pages back that shows all the 2016 toys alongside one another.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on February 15, 2016, 10:55:57 AM

Maybe if they had made the legs and feet a bit thicker (without making them oversize) like the battat Tyrannosaurus. The part bellow the knees lacks a bit of musculature in my opinion

To get a more dynamic pose as it has there just wasn't really any other way to do it. All the weight is coming forward.  I've built all these life size dinos here and learned a bit about balance, it's one reason so many of mine are in more neutral poses.  You go to move them and one guy has all the weight on his end the rest are just holding on..like with the Dilophosaurus or the Pachy here. 

The calves and ankles look alright by me, I made the ones on our T-Rex too thick , that was a stability issue as it holds up the weight of the back legs.   One other note, my new Battat Rex has leaped off the shelf a few times now too.

Quote from: suspsy on February 15, 2016, 12:32:43 PM

Really? That's really strange. Is yours bending over too far?

I wondered about that, it looks the same as everyone elses minus that one that was leaning back quite a bit.  I've set a pencil under the front of the base and so far so good. It's just a LOT of weight being thrown in one direction.  if the base were larger or heavier it wouldnt be a problem, unless the legs are letting it bend forward and warping a bit.   I have had the heat on here for weeks, been so darn cold outside and all it might be a contributing factor.

MLMjp

Speaking about the feathered T.rex standing. Just for curiosity I have found a video from SuperFunReviews in which the feathered T.rex was without a base, later I found that it was removed, and the T.rex can stand on his own. However he/she had to do the hot water trick in order to repositionate the legs so it can stay properly.

Here´s what he/she said in two comments:

+I used a large screwdriver and a wooden mallet. I carefully put the screwdriver next to the feet and then whacked the end of the screwdriver. (repeat) Took about 10 minutes. To make it stand I dunked the legs in hot water and used a towel to slightly bend them. Depending on your age talk to an adult before attempting any of the above. I used a workshop bench to do this as you can cause damage to normal bench tops.

+ Wooden mallet and large screw driver. I got some expert help. Only use a workshop bench - not your Bedroom floor or Kitchen bench!!  Best with adult supervision :D I also (ouch) dipped the legs one at a time into a cup of boiling water and using a thick towel made a slight adjustment to make sure it could stand by itself!

Also I still think that the angles could be a bit thicker, especially on the left leg.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: