News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hualianceratops disrupts relationships among basal ceratopsians

Started by Halichoeres, December 09, 2015, 09:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Neato! Have any of the weird little non-psittacosaurid early ceratopsians been made into figures?

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Newt on December 09, 2015, 10:06:19 PM
Neato! Have any of the weird little non-psittacosaurid early ceratopsians been made into figures?

I actually started a 1:40 Leptoceratops a few months back, I just need to finish the legs. He's really small, so I might make a mold for him while I'm doing one of the bigger guys.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Newt

amargasaurus cazaui

It might be interesting to see some of the testing re-run regarding the origins and places within this family tree factoring in this new specimen. Many of the tests previously run had used Yinglong . I am curious if it might possibly help recover Heterodontosaurids as being more closely related than is now understood. Also running those tests and factoring in Kulindadromeus....
Microceratus has a figure or two, and of course protoceratops has a decent number of models out there.Other than that there is little and few and far between otherwise....although if you do not mind dabbling in Shapeways model, we do have a wonderful model of Yinlong  that was done by our own Manuel Bejerano...(I always messs up his last name by accident ugh) He recently also released a sculpt of Pegomastax as well.(primitive Heterodontosaurid)
     If you really want to go off into never never land with primitive ceratopsians, you could also attempt to get the digital file that Dinoraul produced of some of them, and alter them for printing, from Renderosity.com    The files are not print ready, but it can be done, as I can attest by Tyrannt Queens recent collaboration with myself in getting both the psittacosaur model and the Aracheoceratops printed as groupings
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Newt

Thanks for the info, Amargasaurus! I haven't delved into the world of 3-d prints.

amargasaurus cazaui

I can solidly recommend his Yinlong, it is a nice model and has a few poses availible. They are remarkably fairly priced as well. My experiment printing a herd style grouping of Archaeoceratops created a model of stunning quality painted and based by Martin Garrat, that used size difference, various poses and is based on a scenic piece that utilizes a resin water feature. The price level and difficulties to be had using 3D printing are of course a whole extra level above general distribution figures, but make for some unique and rather stunning models.
   All of these models are of course on display within my psittacosaurus threads despite not being true psittacosaurs.
   Sadly if you are going to collect in this particular genus and and hope to build a collection of basal ceratopsians, you are mostly wasting your time unless you are willing to go to rather elaborate extremes.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Newt on December 09, 2015, 10:34:43 PM
Thanks for the info, Amargasaurus! I haven't delved into the world of 3-d prints.
Once you go in there's no turning back... >:D

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 09, 2015, 10:30:54 PM

It might be interesting to see some of the testing re-run regarding the origins and places within this family tree factoring in this new specimen. Many of the tests previously run had used Yinglong . I am curious if it might possibly help recover Heterodontosaurids as being more closely related than is now understood. Also running those tests and factoring in Kulindadromeus....
Microceratus has a figure or two, and of course protoceratops has a decent number of models out there.Other than that there is little and few and far between otherwise....although if you do not mind dabbling in Shapeways model, we do have a wonderful model of Yinlong  that was done by our own Manuel Bejerano...(I always messs up his last name by accident ugh) He recently also released a sculpt of Pegomastax as well.(primitive Heterodontosaurid)
     If you really want to go off into never never land with primitive ceratopsians, you could also attempt to get the digital file that Dinoraul produced of some of them, and alter them for printing, from Renderosity.com    The files are not print ready, but it can be done, as I can attest by Tyrannt Queens recent collaboration with myself in getting both the psittacosaur model and the Aracheoceratops printed as groupings

There was a good Leptoceratops from Wild Safari, in that sort of 'between time' fromtheir original, not so great models, to the great ones now. I think there was also a Playskool 'Discovering Dinosaurs' Leptoceratops.

Georassic

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on December 09, 2015, 10:18:54 PM

I actually started a 1:40 Leptoceratops a few months back, I just need to finish the legs. He's really small, so I might make a mold for him while I'm doing one of the bigger guys.

I'll buy it! I've been wishing someone would make a 1:40 Lepto for a while...

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: SBell on December 10, 2015, 12:52:13 AM

There was a good Leptoceratops from Wild Safari, in that sort of 'between time' fromtheir original, not so great models, to the great ones now. I think there was also a Playskool 'Discovering Dinosaurs' Leptoceratops.
The playskool version I had been led to believe was a fast food premium or at least a color variant of it was for sure...

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on December 09, 2015, 10:18:54 PM

Only need to finish the legs, or the arms? If its the arms, please remember these fellows likely could not pronate but did seem capable of walking on all fours .

amargasaurus cazaui

Incidentally the title suggests this new finding somehow disrupts the relationships among basal ceratopsians, but I am unsure it disrupts anything. All we have done is take another step back in time and find what appears to be a more basal animal from earlier in the chain. I am not so sure I consider that a disruption so much as a more extended understanding

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 10, 2015, 02:23:20 AM
Quote from: SBell on December 10, 2015, 12:52:13 AM

The playskool version I had been led to believe was a fast food premium or at least a color variant of it was for sure...

Wendy's had a few, but most were larger and part of a line that was bought in stores. Notsure which species though--I know the Moschops, for example, was a store-only one.

Halichoeres

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 10, 2015, 03:43:55 AM
Incidentally the title suggests this new finding somehow disrupts the relationships among basal ceratopsians, but I am unsure it disrupts anything. All we have done is take another step back in time and find what appears to be a more basal animal from earlier in the chain. I am not so sure I consider that a disruption so much as a more extended understanding

Well, the reason I said that was the phylogeny they presented. A previous analysis found something like this:

Which shows successive outgroups to the derived ceratopsians, if you'll forgive the expression.

But the Han et al. analysis shows instead a clade consisting of Psittacosaurus and the Jurassic guys, which suggests a sort of side branch of early ceratopsians, rather than a chain of successive outgroups leading directly to the Ceratopsidae. Who knows if the topology will hold up, but it's pretty different from previous hypotheses.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

Might be interesting to compare and see how many from this new smaller "clade" share the four fingers trait and the missing fenestrae , which are traits known to psittacosaurus........think I will look into that.

Newt

I actually have that Playskool Leptoceratops...I'd forgotten about him! He's in a box in my mom's attic with all my other surviving childhood toys.

Still, I'd much rather have an up-to-date, non-articulated version. And if it's one made by a forum member - that's gravy! I'm a little surprised nobody's made an Aquilops, seeing as it's now an internet celebrity.

SBell

Quote from: Newt on December 10, 2015, 03:29:59 PM
I actually have that Playskool Leptoceratops...I'd forgotten about him! He's in a box in my mom's attic with all my other surviving childhood toys.

Still, I'd much rather have an up-to-date, non-articulated version. And if it's one made by a forum member - that's gravy! I'm a little surprised nobody's made an Aquilops, seeing as it's now an internet celebrity.

Yeah, the Safari is better...

stargatedalek

I prefer the Playskool personally, something about it just feels more like a real animal. The Safari one is very static, it doesn't have the lifelike muscle  and pose of the Playskool.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Newt on December 10, 2015, 03:29:59 PM

The problem that is likely preventing an Aquilops from being made is perhaps twofold A) it is not a very large animal being fully grown at only around two feet   B) The remains so far for the animal are very .....scant. A few bones from the jaw area and partial rostral crest are all. We have nothing to support the body or limbs etc.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: