News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kreativtek

Quote from: pylraster on January 24, 2015, 05:02:41 PM
Regarding that Papo T.rex dentition, I've always wondered if someone had already decided to do a head or at least jaw swap of the "standing" one to the "running"version. With Rebor's rex already out, I can already imagine what it is, still I wonder what Papo would do with a third Tyrannosaur.

I know somebody on DeviantArt is thinking about it, but there's one big problem: running T-rex's body doesn't have enough weight to balance out the heavy head of the standing Rex. But I think it's possible with some additional modifications.

DinoLord

Yeah, I also have seen someone on DA contemplating it. They said that they'd have to bulk out the body though, and I agree.

tanystropheus

Quote from: pylraster on January 24, 2015, 05:02:41 PM
Regarding that Papo T.rex dentition, I've always wondered if someone had already decided to do a head or at least jaw swap of the "standing" one to the "running"version. With Rebor's rex already out, I can already imagine what it is, still I wonder what Papo would do with a third Tyrannosaur.

Is Papo releasing another T-rex? I remember one year Papo went crazy with the rexes (2 baby T.rexes, 1 standing brown T-rex, 1 running T-rex and 1 LE running brown T-rex). It would make sense for Papo to release another version of Allosaurus or the Velociraptor in all new poses (especially with the upcoming JW movie).  Another Spino wouldn't make all that much sense at this point.

kreativtek

I want to say one thing about the Pteranodon. Many people seem to hate it because it has teeth. I know it is not supposed to, but it's not entirely Papo's fault. The figurine was modelled after Jurassic Park Pteranodon, which also - for reasons unknown - happens to have a beak full of sharp teeth.

Take a look.

Papo simply copied Stan Winston's design. Too bad they did it thoughtlessly, but that's another story.

CityRaptor

Most here know that. Ironically the one who seems to have the most issues with that is a Jurassic Park Fan. And you have to specify that it is the JPIII Pteranodon. There is also one in "The Lost World" which is toothless.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

kreativtek

You're right. As if that was not enough, TLW Pteranodon looks very different from the JP3 one, including colouration and shape of the head. Frankly, I'd prefer Papo to make a TLW-inspired Pterandon. Without the teeth and bulky body of the Jurassic Park 3 alpha Pteranodon, it looks noticeably more realistic.

triceratops83

Why on earth did Papo retire their Dodo? That was great little figure.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: kreativtek on February 06, 2015, 08:42:41 AM
The figurine was modelled after Jurassic Park Pteranodon, which also - for reasons unknown - happens to have a beak full of sharp teeth.

Exactly. The reasons aren't entirely unknown. It's maybe not as obvious in the film as it should be but like the venom spitting dilophosaurs they were an experiment, a variation that was bred to see what they had . Later version would have had the teeth removed I'm sure like the ones that ended up free on the island while these were safely contained.

kreativtek

Not sure if it has been posted before, but I stumbled upon something interesting while browsing eBay. Looks familiar, doesn't it? :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Some similar coloration..the first JP ones were also patterned similarly in concept art.

kreativtek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 09, 2015, 05:43:41 PM
Some similar coloration..the first JP ones were also patterned similarly in concept art.

Do you mean early concept art? The only drawings I found picture the dinosaur with the stripes placed horizontally, not vertically. I think Tamiya's set has inspired Papo to go for this colour scheme.

Concavenator

If someone's gor the Apatosaurus already,then,could he please post more pics?  ^-^

Hypsi

Has the Apatosaurus been released yet?
The wait is killing me! I really want it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: kreativtek on February 09, 2015, 05:48:12 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 09, 2015, 05:43:41 PM

Do you mean early concept art? The only drawings I found picture the dinosaur with the stripes placed horizontally, not vertically. I think Tamiya's set has inspired Papo to go for this colour scheme.

Yeah there is some concepts, I suppose they could be early, show hadrosaurs with a similar pattern and color.

kreativtek

Quote from: Hypsi on February 10, 2015, 04:55:00 AM

Trust me, it's killing me more. I am waiting for the Apatosaurus and Tupuxuara to come in the mail. They should've arrived yesterday, but they didn't. I will post some pictures as soon as I receive the parcel (at the moment it seems to be stuck on the border).

Concavenator

Yes,it has been released.

reinier zwanink

Quote from: Concavenator on February 10, 2015, 09:00:29 PM
Yes,it has been released.

Not at the urzeitshop :(

Hypsi

Quote from: kreativtek on February 10, 2015, 07:10:14 AM
Trust me, it's killing me more. I am waiting for the Apatosaurus and Tupuxuara to come in the mail. They should've arrived yesterday, but they didn't. I will post some pictures as soon as I receive the parcel (at the moment it seems to be stuck on the border).
Oh man, that is always hard when the tracking info isn't accurate. Photos would be much appreciated when you get them!

japfeif

So again, ARE the Apatosaurus and the Tupuxuara available now? If so, where can one order them? The Papo site itself doesn't seem to even have place to order them, just a pic of them with the other new figures for 2015. And at Dan's Dinosaurs,  both are listed as being available for "preorder", but then do do a few others (like the Archeopteryx, who have been available for quite awhile now), so not sure how current the site is. Most of the other Papo dinos I got from Happy Hen, which doesn't even list the Apato or the Tupu.
Or is it a bit too early yet?

reinier zwanink

Yes they do

http://www.urzeitshop.de/
i got mine here
Good service to

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: