News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanotyrannus STILL Ain't Giving Up!

Started by suspsy, January 28, 2016, 03:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Kovu

Say what you will about it's legitimacy as an actual genus, but you've got to admit its a tenacious little thing.

Simon

The following comment under the article sums up my view concisely (since, well, I'm the one who posted it)  ;) :

"In other news .... the jury is still very much out on whether Nanotyrannus was a separate species or simply a juvenile TRex ... the authors's claim that "it wasn't until leg lengths were compared that it was conclusively determined they were not, in fact, the same species" is 100% erroneous.

It may reflect the view of a few paleontologists, but there are just as many who see evidence that Nanotyrannus was just a juvenile TRex.

We need for a fossil of an adult "Nanotyrannus" to be identified and described before it can conclusively become a different species. RIght now you could flip a coin, and the safer position is that it is a juvenile TRex until proved otherwise."

CityRaptor

Looks like Velociraptor wasn't that much faster than Tyrannosaurus. And Allosaurus was slower...probably still frightening fast for something that size.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Viking Spawn

Could you imagine watching some herbivores graze in the field when all of a sudden, a large Allosaurus or T-rex comes from out of hiding in the brush and pouncing one of them?!  It would be probably much more impressive than lions stalking their prey!  Yeesh! 

Dinoguy2

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 28, 2016, 07:58:37 AM
Looks like Velociraptor wasn't that much faster than Tyrannosaurus. And Allosaurus was slower...probably still frightening fast for something that size.

According to this study, Velociraptor was much, much slower than T. rex. Notice in the chart it's leg to weight ratio is -13 (notice the minus) and T. rex is about +11. The study concludes that dromeosaurids were among the slowest theropods, faster only than very primitive saurischians like Eoraptor and Guaibasaurus.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

CityRaptor

Oh, you are right. Although one could argue that smaller species would still be faster since they have less mass and can therefore afford to have a lower leg to weight ration.

Also just read the proper article. Here is how they justify Nanotyrannus:
QuoteAlthough in the tyrannosaurs Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus, small bodied juveniles were found to fall within the same CLP-score range as large-bodied adults, CLP scores calculated for the tyrannosaur Nanotyrannus fell well outside the range of scores calculated for Tyrannosaurus. This result suggests that the proportionately elongate lower legs of Nanotyrannus are not allometrically equivalent to those of Tyrannosaurus and are, therefore, a legitimate character to cite as a morphological discriminator between the two.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Simon

What Nanotyrannus specimen did they study? An officially described one?  Or the "Dueling Dinosaurs" specimen that is still privately held?

Halichoeres

This study is hilarious and I think the only reason it's in Nature is because Nature thought they could generate press because it pretends to add something to the Nanotyrannus debate. By their measure of cursoriality, a heron is a better runner than a quail.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 28, 2016, 05:38:19 PM
Oh, you are right. Although one could argue that smaller species would still be faster since they have less mass and can therefore afford to have a lower leg to weight ration.

Actually that's what this study was looking at, meshing leg ratio with weight to create this new ratio, so it takes total weight into account (unlike earlier studies which found smaller dinosaurs like Compsognathus to be ridiculously fast because they didn't take relative mass into account).

Troodontids, for example, were fond by this study to be among the fastest dinosaurs, since they're small and also have long legs. Dromies are small and have very stubby legs. I'm baffled why anybody ever thought they were particularly fast. They have legs like a weiner dog.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net