News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Museums in Patagonia

Started by Lanthanotus, February 05, 2016, 09:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Just dug out some photos of our 3 months trip through Argentina back in 2010. Among others we visited two small museums that exhibited dinosaurs. The first was the MEF, Museo Paleontológico Egidio Feruglio in Trelew. The town has not a lot to offer and most tourists won't visit it at all if not using the aiirport there for fast travelling the vast distances. We had to go there to pick up my girlfriend's backpack which our airline lost for two weeks (!) and returned it completley damaged and sliced up. Well, the muesum at least was a nice distraction, being completly dedicated to palaeo-history and mainly dinosaurs and boasting some very nice specimen (for example a big threatening Giganotosaurus in the entrance area) aswell as a view to the work of palaeontologists. Chubut, the province where Trelew is located is one of the fossil richest locations in South America. Unfortunatly we did not made a lot of photos back then, reason to go back. If you ever happen to travel Argentina, the Peninsula Valdes is a must see (you know those Orcas beaching to hunt sea lions, that's there) and Trelew is just a short drive from there.

I did not note any species names while being at the museums, so if someone has ideas or corrections, just post them.

Carnotaurus and ... , well, two other theropods

Forearm of some unnamed surpersize sauropod, Carnotaurs and those other fellow, another sauropod and Amargasaurus

Obviously Amargasaurus

the lab

The other museum was a chance visit while being a El Calafate, the more or less obligate starting point to visit the world famous Perito Moreno Glacier. It's a very small museum (Centro de Interpretacion Historica) dedicated to the history of southern Patagonia spanning the time from the mesocoic era to the recent past.

Austroraptor (it was a big skeleton, like 5 m long, maybe more)

think it was named Eremotherium, tho Megatherium would be more likely for the location of the muesum

PaleoMatt

Halichoeres

Very cool. Thanks for sharing! Diego Pol, who works at the museum in Trelew, is at my university guest teaching a class in paleontology. Unfortunately I committed to teaching another class before he circulated a call for teaching assistants.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.