News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Field Station Dinosaurs

Started by Gryphoceratops, May 21, 2012, 02:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphoceratops

Amargasaurus:

Both those guys read the blog i write for (njdino.com).  They openly told us back when we were on "friendly" terms with them that they did.  They have been for a long time now.  They used to comment on our posts things like "wow cool I never knew that!" I'm not kidding lol.  They even asked myself and my colleague, Gary, to help them reconstruct the dinosaurs for accuracy way back when they were making the park but they didn't want to pay us a dime and we were both too busy with other things so we had to turn them down.  (and look what happened lol).  If they want to defend themselves they know exactly how to contact me.  Knowing them and how they have behaved in the past, I'm guessing they wont. 

I should also include that the "paleontologist" (a masters degree in geology from Alabama) Jason has a record of being less than a great guy in the paleo community.  My good friend who works in mammal paleontology actually worked at field station for a short time this summer and said that Jason is just an all around rude person who really doesn't know much about dinosaurs.  She also said the information they have out on their signs in the park is ripped right off of wikipedia.  She quit shortly after.  Also my colleague, Gary, used to work with Jason at the State Museum.  Jason had the nerve to steal information directly off of Gary's site and print it out on his handouts as his own.  Not cool.  If there is one thing I despise its stealing information and not citing one's work.

I really don't think its an issue of safety at all.  I have seen other more accurate robot dinosaurs.  These guys were just cheap it seems yet still want to slap the "scientifically accurate" stamp on their stuff anyway.  Plus its not like anyone can climb on them anyway they are all fenced off.  No excuses.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Metallisuchus on June 19, 2012, 12:48:59 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 18, 2012, 07:59:15 AM
Quote from: Takama on June 17, 2012, 05:29:43 PM
Quote from: DinoLord on June 15, 2012, 01:29:43 PM
I'm a bit tempted to go there just to point out all the mistakes to the manager...  >:D

best have a real paleontologist for Backup.

managers can be stubburn sometimes (no offense to the some of you)
Think it would have been a very informative idea to invite the men being spoken about to the forum to explain their view and ideas about the attraction and dinosaurs first-hand so to speak, so they were at least present to give their side and answer for the mistakes. Would be rather intersting to see how they might answer for the inaccuracies as such for instance.

I'm sure a lot of it is just a matter of not being up-to-date on a lot of the science behind dinosaurs. I think a lot of people don't realize how much paleontology 'evolves' as a science, pun not intended.

But see thats my point.  go back and click on the link to the njdino site and read what i wrote in my blogpost.  These guys went out of their way to say they are the most accurate and up to date scientifically.  No excuses. 

Metallisuchus

Yeah I see your point. I guess I just expect these kinds of things. It's like how you'd see "very realistic!" on old dinosaur toy packages, but they were ridiculous-looking Chinasaurs.

You seem to have a semi-personal connection to these guys though, so I can see why you're a bit heated over it. You've done your work though - to help bring these false claims and inaccuracies into the light.

Gryphoceratops

I wouldn't say i have a personal relationship with them.  I only have ever met Guy once.  Its more my colleague who has the real history with them especially Jason.  I'm still heated about it but I make sure to stay diplomatic about everything I say.  Nothing about my blogpost was remotely close to a rant or flaming.  I made sure of that.  It got a pretty good response. 

Metallisuchus

Then you've accomplished your goal - you've informed the public. Of course there will be several people who just take their word for it, those things happen, but at least there's awareness because of you.

DinoLord

It's rather unfortunate that the animatronic dinosaurs are so inaccurate. Seems like a waste to me to spend so much effort and money into designing and having them made if the end result is the way they came out.

Meso-Cenozoic

Chris, I forgot to tell you... About a week or two ago, we had to have the cable guy come to the house and check out some things. He noticed my dino scene I have as my desktop pic. He said his son would love that. So, I had to take him into the other room and show him my collection. He said his kid would kill to get his hands on all those dino figs! Anyway, I got it. His kid loves dinos. Now fix my cable! LOL! Well, he then asks me if I've been to the Secaucus dino park yet. I said no and told him our story about wanting to go during the week, but they were only open to school groups right now during the week. He said he and his son went with his class. He thought as an adult, he wasn't too impressed. But to my surprise, he said his kid didn't think it was that great either! LOL! He said they were all a little dopey looking and really didn't move that well. I asked if the Rex was better because they had advertised him as being rigged with special sensory perception that would supposedly make him react more realistically and differently with each person that comes across him. He said, "Really?" He said he didn't notice any difference. And lastly, he also thought it was over-priced. He also didn't know until he got there that the adult $20 entrance cost was only if you pre-ordered online. All the adults had to pay $25 at the gate. They were not pleased! And at the end of the tour, all the adults thought it wasn't worth it. It's definitely geared more for kids! :P

I don't know. My curiosity still wants to check it out sometime. I mean, it's the town right next to mine. But then my conscience tells me not to waste my money!  ::)

Gryphoceratops

Haha thats so funny Chuck.  Yeah I feel the same as you.  On one hand I really am curious to see the place for myself but at the same time I don't want to give them so much money!

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 20, 2012, 10:10:07 PM
Haha thats so funny Chuck.  Yeah I feel the same as you.  On one hand I really am curious to see the place for myself but at the same time I don't want to give them so much money!

There's always Dinosaur Land, Virginia. Even less accurate, but they never claimed to be accurate. They're obviously coming from a fantasy background with their creatures. I don't remember the cost to get in, but I don't believe it was expensive, and the store there was amazing.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.