News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Field Station Dinosaurs

Started by Gryphoceratops, May 21, 2012, 02:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphoceratops

So this place is opening in Secaucus NJ.  Looking at the site they ripped a lot of images off of dino toys like papo.  I've seen some of the dino robots and thus far they seem a bit fugly but I still plan on going regardless.  Meso-Cenozoic and I plan on going on the 31st this month I think to check it out.  Anyone else in the area want to join us?

http://fieldstationdinosaurs.com/

Blade-of-the-Moon

I ran across this myself...it's a neat concept for an attraction.  It looks like they will have an actor in a juvenile Rex suit as well...that's really catching on.

I don't know who made the Dinos for them..they look a little off but I've seen a lot worse..look at this dead Trike from Billings :

I'm kinda glad it's dead...lol

To be fair even Billings is starting improve their pieces though.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 21, 2012, 02:48:18 AM
So this place is opening in Secaucus NJ.  Looking at the site they ripped a lot of images off of dino toys like papo.  I've seen some of the dino robots and thus far they seem a bit fugly but I still plan on going regardless.  Meso-Cenozoic and I plan on going on the 31st this month I think to check it out.  Anyone else in the area want to join us?

http://fieldstationdinosaurs.com/

I'll make it there eventually, but probably not 9 days from now. I don't live too far. I heard about this a while back and all I could get on it were images of these silly therapod costumes in random places.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I do recognize some of those dinosaurs on the website. The pachycephalosaurus went to the wrong hair dresser.  ;)
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Takama

gosh darn it.  Another dinosaur atrraction out of my bloody reach >:( :P

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Takama on June 14, 2012, 02:32:47 AM

I'll probably go eventually, but I get the feeling I'll be disappointed. As long as they've got a good Dino-store, I'll be happy.

Takama

Quote from: Metallisuchus on June 14, 2012, 02:57:10 AM
Quote from: Takama on June 14, 2012, 02:32:47 AM

I'll probably go eventually, but I get the feeling I'll be disappointed. As long as they've got a good Dino-store, I'll be happy.

They should, seeing that they used some common toys to depict the atractions on the website.

Metallisuchus

The Dimetrodon in the video looks like he's on something, lol. Look at his eyes.

Takama

alas   the website is not working right now

Gryphoceratops

Soooo yeah this place is bad don't waste your time.

1) the models are wrong.  They keep trumpeting how accurate and scientific they are when they really aren't at all.  All their information plaques are ripped right off of wikipedia. 

2) its unsafe.  If you go to their facebook page its littered with complaints from people that have gone who trip over badly kept paths, broken fences and the like.  Its also not wheelchair accessible. 

3) its overpriced.  20$ per person?  Come on. 

4) The people who run it are jerks.  Jason Schein the "paleontologist" at the State Museum.  He knows very little about dinosaurs.  Plus he steals work from other people and writes it off as his own.  He's the one who claims these monstrosities are "accurate to science".  The manager, Guy Gsell is a creep.  He also knows very little about the actual dinosaurs (0 background in science) and rips information and lines from other sources as his own.  He showed up to all the recent Museum events next to the table I was working and acts like hes the only authority on paleontology. 

I reviewed it here. 

http://jerseyboyhuntsdinosaurs.blogspot.com/2012/06/first-impressions-of-new-dino-park-in.html#!/2012/06/first-impressions-of-new-dino-park-in.html

Takama

HMMMM park recieved Terible review

must go and see what the fuss is about :P

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 14, 2012, 05:37:36 AM
Soooo yeah this place is bad don't waste your time.

1) the models are wrong.  They keep trumpeting how accurate and scientific they are when they really aren't at all.  All their information plaques are ripped right off of wikipedia. 

2) its unsafe.  If you go to their facebook page its littered with complaints from people that have gone who trip over badly kept paths, broken fences and the like.  Its also not wheelchair accessible. 

3) its overpriced.  20$ per person?  Come on. 

4) The people who run it are jerks.  Jason Schein the "paleontologist" at the State Museum.  He knows very little about dinosaurs.  Plus he steals work from other people and writes it off as his own.  He's the one who claims these monstrosities are "accurate to science".  The manager, Guy Gsell is a creep.  He also knows very little about the actual dinosaurs (0 background in science) and rips information and lines from other sources as his own.  He showed up to all the recent Museum events next to the table I was working and acts like hes the only authority on paleontology. 

I reviewed it here. 

http://jerseyboyhuntsdinosaurs.blogspot.com/2012/06/first-impressions-of-new-dino-park-in.html#!/2012/06/first-impressions-of-new-dino-park-in.html

Yeah but what about the dino-store???  :D

Gryphoceratops

Meso-Cenozoic and I were talking about it a few weeks ago on the phone.  He said he called in and asked about the store.  Doesn't sound like they have any museum quality replicas.  Mostly really big soft things more geared towards a younger audience.  At least thats what they made it sound like they had. 

DinoLord

I'm a bit tempted to go there just to point out all the mistakes to the manager...  >:D

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 15, 2012, 05:03:32 AM
Meso-Cenozoic and I were talking about it a few weeks ago on the phone.  He said he called in and asked about the store.  Doesn't sound like they have any museum quality replicas.  Mostly really big soft things more geared towards a younger audience.  At least thats what they made it sound like they had.

Ahhh... It's like everybody just assumes only kids like dinosaurs. I found an actual dinosaur store while searching online. It's a brick n mortar store in California somewhere. Of course it looks like a daycare center inside, but they carry the kinda stuff we all like as well. Maybe not Trcic models, but Schleich, Carnegie, Papo, etc.

Dinolord - DO IT!

Takama

Quote from: DinoLord on June 15, 2012, 01:29:43 PM
I'm a bit tempted to go there just to point out all the mistakes to the manager...  >:D

best have a real paleontologist for Backup.

managers can be stubburn sometimes (no offense to the some of you)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Takama on June 17, 2012, 05:29:43 PM

Think it would have been a very informative idea to invite the men being spoken about to the forum to explain their view and ideas about the attraction and dinosaurs first-hand so to speak, so they were at least present to give their side and answer for the mistakes. Would be rather intersting to see how they might answer for the inaccuracies as such for instance.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Metallisuchus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 18, 2012, 07:59:15 AM
Quote from: Takama on June 17, 2012, 05:29:43 PM

Think it would have been a very informative idea to invite the men being spoken about to the forum to explain their view and ideas about the attraction and dinosaurs first-hand so to speak, so they were at least present to give their side and answer for the mistakes. Would be rather intersting to see how they might answer for the inaccuracies as such for instance.

I'm sure a lot of it is just a matter of not being up-to-date on a lot of the science behind dinosaurs. I think a lot of people don't realize how much paleontology 'evolves' as a science, pun not intended.

DinoLord

Using outdated science doesn't really explain how they got the head shapes of the Dilophosaurus and Triceratops so blatantly wrong...  ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: DinoLord on June 19, 2012, 05:04:58 AM
Using outdated science doesn't really explain how they got the head shapes of the Dilophosaurus and Triceratops so blatantly wrong...  ;)
I have not seen the exhibits myself and am just offering an idea, but could they have modified the dinosaurs to some degree perhaps as a safety issue? Are the animals presented in such way there could be injury unless somewhat altered for safety sake?
Both a triceratops and a Dilo have head gear that could perhaps harm an infant or child if it were clambering around the figure. Just an idea, but I am unsure if that is even an issue.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: