News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My first repaints

Started by Nanuqsaurus, March 13, 2016, 09:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

Hey all,

Here are some of my first repaints. I found a box full of dinosaur toys from my childhood, and decided that some needed an update. I sometimes build model aircraft, and still had some paint for that laying around. If it works on model aircraft, why not on dinosaur toys? :P I finished one repaint, and two are still work in progress. These are my first repaints, so if you have any tips I'd love to hear them! :D

First up is a Styracosaurus toy, although the text on the belly claims it's a ''Styrosaurus,'' whatever that is. It's obviously based on/a copy of Eema from the Disney movie Dinosaur, but it's not an official Disney toy. As a kid I loved this toy, because Styracosaurus was one of my favorite dinosaurs and the model itself is quite good. It is very detailed with a lot of skin folds and wrinkles. Sadly I do not have a picture of the original paint job, but it was almost completely strange blue-ish in color, even the claws, horns and beak. The eyes were orange (I did not repaint them), and there was some airbrushed black paint on the back. The center of the frill had a yellowish tint. It was a very disappointing paint job.

The new paint job is based on the Thompson's gazelle. The whole model was repainted, except for the eyes. I used watered down black paint for the skin folds, which gives it a very old and weathered look. I think it turned out pretty good, but I'm not really satisfied with the frill. I also think it's a bit to shiny, I should've used matte paint instead.

Currently I'm working on two other toys I found, a Liopleurodon and a Rhamphorhynchus. I don't have a lot of spare time, so it might take a while before I can show them.
I hope you liked my first repaint, any tips or comments are very welcome! :D

tyrantqueen

Hi
Please could you resize your images, or at least use a smaller size in future? They're so big that that they cause slowdown on my PC. There is no need for an image to be 6000 wide. Thank you :)

This looks good for your first try. Here's a tip, you can get rid of any unwanted shine by using a matte varnish. It's a good idea to use varnish anyway, to prevent wear to the new paintjob. Keep it up :)

Dobber

Very nice repaint, especially for a first try, I too recently started repainting so I know how it can be.....difficult...at times :D

I love your avatar BTW.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Nanuqsaurus

I don't have a lot of time these days so it'll take a while before the next repaints are finished. In the meantime, I've been thinking about some other dinosaurs I could repaint. I have this Schleich Torosaurus in my collection, and while it is a good model, the colors are very dull and make the figure worse than it could've been.

I'd like my Torosaurus to look like this one I found on DeviantArt:

I'd love to repaint it, but I'm scared I'll mess up and ruin an otherwise good figure. It would be great if other repainters could give me some tips on how to do this! :) I do have an airbrush lying around, but I'm not sure it still works or if it's even suited for this kind of job. Do you guys use normal brushes or an airbrush? How do I make fine lines like on the ones in the image?  Any help with this or any other tips would be much appreciated! :D

Nanuqsaurus

Here's my Schleich Torosaurus repaint. It's not perfect, but it's something.

Before:

After:

Flaffy

Looks nice!  :)) However, the Torosaurus itself is just too flawed of a figure for my taste. But I'm sure with more practice, you can start repainting many more figures that deserve a better paint job!

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on May 04, 2016, 07:49:02 PM
Looks nice!  :)) However, the Torosaurus itself is just too flawed of a figure for my taste. But I'm sure with more practice, you can start repainting many more figures that deserve a better paint job!

The Torosaurus is really not that bad for a Schleich, I think. It's a quite old model too. The horns are too close to eachother, and it has the wrong number of claws, but besides that I can't find any mayor flaws. The default blue-ish grey and green-ish yellow colors are kinda weird for a ceratopsid though. For some reason Schleich always has a strange choise of color for their dinosaurs, they would look much more like real animals if they had realistic colors.

Halichoeres

Even just repainting those dead, dead eyes makes all the difference in the world!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 07, 2016, 04:43:06 PM
Even just repainting those dead, dead eyes makes all the difference in the world!

Well... actually the eyes are the only part I didn't repaint...

Halichoeres

Ha! My mistake. I guess the rest of the paint job brought it to life enough to undo the undead aspect. Well done.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 07, 2016, 05:35:03 PM
Ha! My mistake. I guess the rest of the paint job brought it to life enough to undo the undead aspect. Well done.

Yeah, I think that the black rings around the eyes made them look so dead. The Torosaurus in the drawing I used as reference also has orange eyes, so I decided not to repaint them. Also, I was afraid I'd mess up repainting the eyes, because they're so small and I don't have a lot of experience yet.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

you've done a great job, especially for your first repaint :) With the level of detail you've been able to paint on the body I have no doubt you could pull off painting the eyes as well.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Nanuqsaurus

Thanks for the comments everyone! :D I'm glad you liked it. I'm not sure what to repaint next. I still have a Rhamphorhynchus and Liopleurodon that I want to repaint, but I used them to practice new techniques... so they're a bit of a mess now :-[ I could repaint another Schleich, but most of them have pretty beautiful colors already so I don't see the point in that (yet).

no longer available

These are some lovely repaints!  Can't wait to see more.  ;D

Viergacht

That Torosaurus looks like it's ready for a fancy dinner party - so neat! And I remember seeing the blue version of the first one. Like you saids, lots of great detail to paint with.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Viergacht on May 10, 2016, 12:39:39 PM
That Torosaurus looks like it's ready for a fancy dinner party - so neat! And I remember seeing the blue version of the first one. Like you saids, lots of great detail to paint with.

Haha, hadn't noticed that! :P I think the artist of the picture was inspired by the Arabian oryx and the Gemsbok. I always love to see dinosaur art with influences from modern animals, I don't know why they're so often portrayed with dull colors like brown and grey.

LophoLeeVT

well i think it all started with giving the dinosaurus in jp dull colors?
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.