You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

I loved my Nasutoceratops, built and painted by Martin Garratt (and shown here recently) so much that it wasn't long before I went back to Martin for more.  This time I had some CollectA models repainted.

First up, the Guidraco.  I don't actually (wrong tense, didn't actually!) collect pterosaurs - but somehow the Rebor Dimorphodon pair flew into my house.  (Some DTF members enticed them in.)  They seemed a bit lonely.  I'd been impressed by the sculpt of the CollectA Guidraco but I didn't care for the paint scheme - I personally like something a bit less garish and a bit less cartoonish.  (I'm not saying the colours were "bad" - just not to my taste and I know there are as many tastes as collectors.)  I'm also not a great fan of articulated jaws because I don't like to see the very obvious point of articulation.  So I contacted Martin.  Any idea I had of a base was soon abandoned  - I hadn't realised just how big the beast is and Martin pointed out it would need a massive base.  Colour-wise, I liked the scheme of Mark Witton's head and neck portrait of Cycnorhamphus suivicus, Fig. 19.1 in his Pterosaurs book (p. 184).  Martin was happy to do something on those lines, creating the body paint scheme to fit in.  I wanted a pale breast and underside but otherwise it was up to him.  I also asked him to disguise the articulation point.

Here's some of UMF's photos of the result (all the photos shown in this post are UMF's):

I love the result!

Next up: I had purchased the Collecta Swimming Spinosaurus fairly recently.  I liked it.  I realise the reconstruction might eventually be proved incorrect, but I like models that encapsulate a snapshot of current research and current beliefs.  I don't mind if reconstructions change over time - I still value the image of palaeontological history.  The one thing I didn't like so much - I kept it supported on the cheap plastic support it came with, as I thought it might damage its claws over time if I let it sit directly on the shelf.  The result wasn't very elegant and reminded me of being at the seaside as a child, when you could see people lolling on plastic lilos in the sea.  Not quite the right image!

By chance when I ordered the Guidraco for its repaint, Sue at Everything Dinosaur mentioned she'd seen a photo of Martin's fabulous version of the CollectA Swimmer in which he'd made it look as it it was really swimming.  That sounded exciting and I asked if Martin would do me one.  In fact he sold me the one he'd made for himself and I sent him my model for him to customise for himself when he had time.  I think he did the most amazing job.  I'd never realised such things were possible.  He even changed the position of the limbs!

I thought the fish a fantastic touch - I had hoped it would be possible to incorporate one, and when I saw the photo of the finished model, one was there already! I also loved the way the water weeds are angled to suggest current.

I had wondered if it might be possible to build a "super-diorama" incorporating both a swimming Spinosaurus and a walking mate on the bank.  But of course this was impractical.  So my next best idea was to have a walking Spinosaurus to make a matching pair.  I asked for it to be on a sandy beach with a hint of water, whether lake, sea or river.  And I asked Martin to paint it so that it clearly belonged to the same species.  But to avoid the pair looking too much the same, I asked for the second beast to be painted with some brighter flashes of colour to suggest sexual dimorphism.

And finally, the two together:

I don't suppose for a minute these will be my last commissions!  It's far too enjoyable a process!

Lanthanotus

I feel the same about the color scheme of the Guidraco, really impressive what Martin made of it, looks so much better and almost alive this way, you can count yourself happy. Like the swimming Spino too, that diorama has so much liveliness with that fish swiing against the current while the "sea grass" floats with it.

Nanuqsaurus

I love the crocodilian look on the swimming Spino, it's very lifelike! The Guidraco is beautiful as well. You are very lucky to have such amazing repaints in your collection!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Once again Martin excels at making me want more from him as well..lol   I've had an idea for a similar diorama here for the Park once our big Spino is done, part of our ongoing " Changing Views of Dinosaurs" theme I like to drive home.  Might incorporate a few elements here, thanks for the inspiration! 

AcroSauroTaurus

Those are awesome! He really did a good job, as always.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Halichoeres

Gorgeous new additions! The swimming spino is particularly elegant.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 19, 2016, 02:02:04 PM
.... Like the swimming Spino too, that diorama has so much liveliness with that fish swiing against the current while the "sea grass" floats with it.
That's a good observation about the fish against the current.  Thank you!

ceratopsian

Thank you for your kind comments, everyone.  Halichoeres is right - the swimming spino is very elegant.  Martin certainly does a fantastic job on models - thanks to this forum for inspiring me to get in touch with him!

DinoG

Run!

PaleoMatt

Wow. They look so alive! The Guidraco is my favourite :)

J.R.S T REX

Martin really did his magic once again.  The toy like original CollectA Guidraco looks real in its new paint scheme and the 2 Spinos are absolutely out of this world.  I cannot wait to get my models back and am hopeful that they can look half as great as yours!  Lucky Girl!! :-)

ceratopsian

Quote from: J.R.S T REX on March 21, 2016, 12:41:29 AM
Martin really did his magic once again.  The toy like original CollectA Guidraco looks real in its new paint scheme and the 2 Spinos are absolutely out of this world.  I cannot wait to get my models back and am hopeful that they can look half as great as yours!  Lucky Girl!! :-)

Thank you.  I certainly feel lucky that Martin is in the same country as me!  It will save on the postage over time.

Dinomike

Wow! These are beautiful! The swimming Spino is my favorite!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

ceratopsian

Quote from: Dinomike on March 21, 2016, 01:19:54 PM
Wow! These are beautiful! The swimming Spino is my favorite!

Thank you.  My favourite varies according to mood from one viewing to the next!

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Viking Spawn

acro-man

i knew it!
i knew the spinos will look great with repaint, but not as magnificent as these!
these really blow my mind!
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

ceratopsian

Although I imported virtually all the Battat Terra dinosaurs as they became available, thanks to Dean Walker (DeJankins), I was really excited when Everything Dinosaur let me know that they had hopes of successful negotiations to carry the line here in the UK.  When the models arrived, I took the opportunity to buy from them the one Battat I'd passed on - the Tyrannosaurus rex.  So far it has remained upright!  I'm not bothering to post a picture, as you've all seen images of it.

In addition, I thought it would be fun to ask Martin Garratt if he would repaint and base one of the Battat Terra models for me.  I'd loved the Pachyrhinosaurus from the moment I saw it.  I love its combative air, the vigour in its pose, and the feeling of sheer bulk and immovability it exudes.  But I've never been completely sold on the colour scheme and its rather shiny texture.  So here was my opportunity.  I could keep the one I'd bought from Dean - this will be my particular memento of Dan - but I would ask Mike and Sue to post a second model onto Martin.

Here's the result (photos by UMF Models):

As ever, I'm delighted with the work.  I asked for a scene to suit the beast's combative look.  One of two scenarios I suggested was a mother defending her prime nesting spot from another Pachyrhinosaurus trying to muscle in on it.  And I asked for okapi-like stripes, but not okapi colours.  Martin changed the balance of the figure so her front foot is off the ground, which gives more space over the nest.  I particularly love the way he painted her face to emphasise her battle-ready mood.

Having things repainted is really proving highly addictive!  I love the results each time, and I can't praise Martin and Marilyn highly enough for their customer care.

Pachyrhinosaurus

That's a nice setup. Do you know what the rock base is made of?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

ceratopsian

Thank you.  No, I don't know but I can ask.  It's actually not photographed well - too white in the photos.  It's actually much darker/more grey on the sides.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: