You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 18, 2016, 09:16:30 PM
That's a nice setup. Do you know what the rock base is made of?
I think it might be a reptile dish actually, it would give that rocky look and makes sense for building a nest impression in.

These are very impressive.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 18, 2016, 09:16:30 PM
That's a nice setup. Do you know what the rock base is made of?

Marilyn of UMF said that the base is made from insulation foam. "This type of foam is easy to carve into shapes as it is quite dense, it's also very light which is great if you need to save on shipping costs abroad, but it is getting difficult to find.  I used to get it from Wickes but they don't have it now. Downside of the foam bases, not really substantial enough for the hefty resin models and you can't have 'water' on them as it will melt the foam."

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

ceratopsian

Thank you!  I keep wandering off to have another look at it, I must confess.

ceratopsian

My latest custom model arrived a couple of weeks ago.  It's Lu Feng Shan's Rubeosaurus, built, painted and based by Martin Garratt.  I found ordering the model from Shan on Facebook a really easy process.  He was extremely efficient and a pleasure to deal with.  I went for this particular model because I like more unusual postures.  I'm sure I'll succumb to some more of his models at some point.

Anyway - here are Martin and Marilyn's photos:

RobinGoodfellow

...just another magic work of Sir Martin Garratt...  8)

Jose S.M.

That's a really great figure!  I like it's expression,  looks relaxed and peaceful

ceratopsian

Quote from: Joe289 on August 14, 2016, 02:16:48 PM
....I like it's expression,  looks relaxed and peaceful

Yes, that's how it strikes me too.  It's good to see a herbivorous dinosaur doing something peaceful rather than having to fight for its life!

ceratopsian

Derek.McManus

Pachyrhinosaurus

Garratt just keeps getting better and better in his customization jobs. The pose is interesting, it reminds me of Krentz's 1/72 achelousaurus.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

ceratopsian

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 14, 2016, 05:18:59 PM
Garratt just keeps getting better and better in his customization jobs. The pose is interesting, it reminds me of Krentz's 1/72 achelousaurus.

I wasn't familiar with the Krentz.  Yes, just tracked it down.  You're right, it's similar.  My Rubeosaurus is 1/20.

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Megalosaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 14, 2016, 11:55:55 AM
[...]I went for this particular model because I like more unusual postures.  [...]

Nice pose inded. Also nice paintjob.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

ceratopsian

This morning a large box arrived in the post.  Heart in mouth, I carefully unwrapped the model and base from the generous bubble-wrap, all held in place by packing tape.  Gradually the shape of the beast emerged from the original amorphous mass.  There was the tail, there the spikey frill .....  I'm always terrified of either cutting in the wrong place or dropping models when I'm unpacking.  But all was well.  Here is what emerged:

It went straight into my (much too full) cabinet - as it is pretty well supported on one hind leg with a little metal pin, I wanted it out of harm's way as quickly as possible!  As I'm sure you will recognise, the sculpt is by Shane Foulkes, the build-up and paint scheme by Martin Garratt.  I purchased it from Urzeit, so I had no input into colour and pattern.   (The photos are from the Urzeit site and were supplied by Martin.)  Size-wise, it's around 13 inches long from snout to tail tip, measuring in a straight line.

I had promised myself faithfully that I wouldn't buy any more delicate models requiring enclosed, dust-free housing until my model room is completed this summer....  But promises are made to be broken and I couldn't resist.

My next treat will be the new wave of CollectA 2017 releases, courtesy of Everything Dinosaur, along with the Papo Polacanthus.  I shouldn't have much longer to wait to place my order I hope!

Jose S.M.

It's a real beauty! I like the color scheme.

Lanthanotus

Nice model and an unusual stance for a ceratopsian figure :)

I'm curious as I do not have any "Martin Garrett"s or seen some,... what is the material the base is made from and is the wood in front real wood or some artifical substitute?

BlueKrono

A brilliant collab by two of the best at what they do. Your concerns about unpacking mishaps is exactly why I always send stuff out in bubble wrap secured with rubber bands - easy to undo, and requires no blades near your cherished figures.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: