You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killekor

The Einiosaurus diorama looks spectacular! I really like how it have been painted, and it's really realistic!
Congratulations for having it!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Halichoeres

I contemplated buying this one for the fish alone! I decided not to in the end, but it's lovely to see the fish and their landlubber accessories again here :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Always a treat to see what new additions you have and these news ones are amazing!😃

ceratopsian

After quite a long break, I have picked up my camera again.  Everything Dinosaur sent me an e-mail on Christmas Eve saying that they had just received the new Rebor Stegosaurus armatus into stock; they would be packaging it and posting on Friday.  To my surprise, given that I'd opted for second class mail, it turned up on Saturday.  The rather chic black box was smaller than I expected - but I didn't realise the tail is separate and needs slotting into place (rather like Kaiyodo miniatures!).  This certainly saved on space.  The neck is billed as movable, which it is in a limited range of motion.  I wouldn't want to try too hard.  It also came with a neat card (which I forgot to photograph, duh!)  I don't buy too many Rebor models but I'm very happy with this one.  Not quite as good as my beloved PNSO Ankylosaurus but not too far off.

So here it is, Stegosaurus armatus, with the slightly weird nickname "Garden", the "Mountain" colour variant.

If you want to see hi-res full-size images, see my Flickr album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157712431366863

Halichoeres

The tail looks pretty seamless, and that is an attractive color scheme. It's the one I'd have chosen too. Nice work from Rebor, I must say.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

ceratopsian

Way back in June 2019, Dinosaur Darkroom announced that Passion Charger's 1:20 Deinocheirus kit, which had sold out in 2018, would be available again if the artist had six new orders.  At 52 x 27 x 17 cm, it was a larger model than I normally buy (on grounds of space requirements rather than cost!)  But I found this one hugely appealing.  I thought I could find space for it, with some careful shifting models around.

I liked the dynamic pose and thought that could make up your own story about why it was raising its head, mouth open.  Was it angry, crying out because some of its eggs in its nest had been broken?  Or was it a male showing off to a nearby female and the nest belonged to someone else?  I had seen only a photograph without a fish in its mouth.  In fact it came with a fish and depicted an animal swallowing its dinner.

I loved the iridescent feathering.  But I found the base colour of the "sales" photo just too tan.  So I asked Martin Garratt to keep the iridescent feel of the highlights but to tone down the tan in favour of a softer coloration for the Deinocheirus.  Here's the "sales" photo, not taken by me but produced by Passion Charger:

Here's my photo of Martin's version – with some apologies for my photographic efforts.  I didn't find it easy to get good quality images of so large a model in our winter light.

Here's a close-up of the fish:

Now to see some details - a close-up of the head:

This shows how meticulous Martin is: look carefully and you will see blood smeared along the line of its mouth.  Not enough to look like a crazy blood-fest, just the right amount to look realistic.

A couple of other head shots:

Now for a look at the front end:

Some adjustments by Martin: I had asked him if he could create more feathering to cover the claws - the feathering stopped so high and abruptly on the original. Then without my instructions, he blended the nest beautifully into the base.

You will see that although the model is large, all the weight sits precariously on one hind leg.  Martin thought it would do a nose-dive over time, so he carefully drilled through the supporting leg and inserted a strengthening metal rod.

A detail of the claws on the arms beneath the feathers; also that supporting foot.  And some of the base.

A shot of the vibrant motion of the tail, with the subtle iridescence:

And to close, a detail of the base with its nice red soil and the nest that Martin melded seamlessly into place:

The model arrived in December - it just took me a long time to pluck up the courage to try and get some photos.  It's quite heavy to move and getting it in and out of my study for photography was a bit hair-raising.  I was terrified of knocking its tail fan against the door frames!  For that matter, fitting the model onto its base was pretty terrifying, as I coaxed the weight-bearing foot onto its pin without applying so much pressure I broke the resin!

I'm thrilled with the results that Martin achieved for me on this Deinocheirus, and the meticulous skill and care he devoted to it.  But then I've never received something from him that hasn't thrilled me.  His works give me a great deal of pleasure and joy.

I should have another model from Martin that I ordered before he stopped taking commissions - SenSen's little Nemicolopterus.  Sadly that is stuck still in China at customs.  I really don't know if it will ever escape custody.  Let's hope so -  SenSen can't send a replacement, as the kit is sold out.   :(

Should you want hi-res images of the Deinocheirus (or more of them), here's my Flickr album link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157712430482241

Shonisaurus

Thank you for sharing these beautiful ceraptosian photographs the stegosaurus called "Garden" looks fabulous ... but the deinocheirus stands out in sculptural beauty and in painting. Nice and cool acquisitions.

ceratopsian

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus: it is my pleasure!   Thank you.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 09, 2020, 05:59:41 PM
Thank you for sharing these beautiful ceraptosian photographs the stegosaurus called "Garden" looks fabulous ... but the deinocheirus stands out in sculptural beauty and in painting. Nice and cool acquisitions.

Halichoeres

What a beautiful model! Besides the obviously exquisite dinosaur, the lovingly detailed base really makes it look at home.

Naturally, I'm also quite partial to the fish Martin added :)

Bokisaurus

Fenestra

Adding more feathering to the hands is a good decision. It looks much better this way now IMO.
The fish is indeed very inventive and works out perfectly with the pose of the statue.
Camouflaging the eggs is just how Mother Nature likes it.

Hannibal Smith from the A-team would say: "I love it when a plan comes together."  ;D

Killekor

Congratulations for your new acquisition, Ceratopsian! The diorama that you bought is really a work of art!
Each detail is done masterfully, and Mr. Garret really had a great idea sculpting that fish! The Papo-like pose of the model really hadn't sense without it.
I'm wrong or the sales photo's color scheme seems inspired by the CollectA Deinocheirus?

Thanks for the photos!
Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

postsaurischian

This thread is very much after my fancy. Everytime I have a look at one of the models / figures you're presenting I either have it already or would love to have it :) .
I was considering the mountain version of REBOR's Stegosaurus. I like the plates' coloration, but find the horizontal parallel running stripes on the body a bit disurbing. Passion Charger's Deinocheirus is an awesome beast! Martin's fish idea is splendid. It seems as if the model was made just for this and the seller forgot to include the fish. Congratulations!

Kapitaenosavrvs

Wow, i just love this Thread. Thank you!

One thing, that inspired me the most, is the swimming CollectA Spinosaurus. I looked at the pictures for a couple of days and ordered one at Urzeitshop.de. I was wondering, if i can do something like this for myself. This is really great to try something new. I would like to change the Arm positioning aswell. I never did something like a Diorama before, but always wanted to do that. I just started repainting, but i'll try.

Thank you for sharing your Stuff with these High Quality Photos! I really like it.

Avian

You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Libraraptor

Yeah,  what an incredibly detailed Deinocheirus diorama!

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 31, 2019, 05:36:57 AM
The tail looks pretty seamless, and that is an attractive color scheme. It's the one I'd have chosen too. Nice work from Rebor, I must say.

Awwwe thank you :-*

ceratopsian

Yesterday the postman delivered a large box containing a very small model - but very beautiful in my eyes.  It was the Nemicolopterus, sculpted by the Chinese artist SenSen, and painted and based by Martin Garratt.  The pterosaur stands about 3 inches tall.  I'm thrilled finally to have this in my collection - some of you might remember that it took a while to escape from the clutches of customs inspection in China.  But finally it arrived - and here it is.

My brief to Martin was that I would like a lush forest feel to the base, to reflect the meaning of the pterosaur's name.  The model came with the tree trunk, bare of any leaves, and the beetle, but I found it rather barren.  I wanted to know that my little pterosaur wasn't going to starve to death in a desert environment where all the trees had died, but would find plenty more insects to nab.  I said I would like the pterosaur to be camouflaged, which seemed appropriate for a miniature forest dweller, but with a splash of colour to make his scheme interesting.  I had a vaguely woodpecker notion running through my head and asked for perhaps speckling or stripes - but nothing too hard-edged.  I'm pleased with the camouflage effect - even his wings could pass for bark and branches.  I left the beetle's colour scheme to Martin and like the rather iridescent effect.

Here's some photos:

Here is the link to my Flickr album for high resolution images - and still more of them:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157713210426286

Patrx

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: