You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus - it is indeed a successful figure.

B @Bokisaurus - thank you! I was quite pleased with the photos.  I managed to get the iridescence by shining a lamp strongly and quite close onto the wing etc. This is not something I would normally do as it would cause too much glare.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 10, 2020, 04:41:31 PM
Wow, those photos are good and able to capture those elusive iridescent in the figures. It's absolutely difficult to capture such a thing on photos.
I'm really really excited and looking forward to this figure!
Thanks for showing us photos of this amazing figure!😃

postsaurischian

:D  Very nice photos of CollectA's Microraptor! I wanted it from the first moment I saw the promo pics.
        I expected it this big. CollectA's scale labelling is wrong as usual. It's far too big for 1:6. It's in about 1:3 - 1:4.

ceratopsian

Thanks. I had a suspicion that the scale was incorrect.  Yet again!  But I can forgive them this flaw when the models are good.

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 10, 2020, 07:56:54 PM
  :D  Very nice photos of CollectA's Microraptor! I wanted it from the first moment I saw the promo pics.
        I expected it this big. CollectA's scale labelling is wrong as usual. It's far too big for 1:6. It's in about 1:3 - 1:4.

ceratopsian

Today's offering is the CollectA re-release of the rearing Diplodocus of 2013, with a grey colour scheme.  When it was announced, I was not over-excited.  "Grey" sounds dull, and the promo photos didn't really bring it to life.  But as it was only £7.49 and I was ordering several other of the new releases, I decided to order it anyway.  I'm glad I did.  Calling it "grey" doesn't do it justice.  There's a lot of variation in colour over the body - grey and buff/beige - and it is far from boring, to my eye at least. 

I photographed it with the CollectA's Ginkgo biloba tree: I like trying to find suitable plants for a diorama feel.

The expression on the face doesn't seem quite as goofy in the new version!  (The paint is quite carefully applied, even though the head is so small.)

Seen with the 2013 green patterned original release.  Perhaps a male and female displaying!

I'm hoping that there isn't a future release - my herd of the rearing Diplodocus is already quite large enough!  I also have a repaint with custom base and tree by the talented avatar_earth108 @earth108.

And a detail of earth108's superb work:

For hi-resolution images, plus a few extra, here's my Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157713844203867/with/49760510461/

Concavenator

I personally think the new repaint was not needed at all, I much prefer the 2013 color scheme.
Still, congrats on your new CollectAs avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, they are gorgeous. Your photos are top notch, you have captured really well the Microraptor 's iridescence.

Shonisaurus

In my case I prefer the new color scheme of the Collecta 2020 diplodocus to the 2013 diplodocus. Honestly, the new touch of paint greatly favors the figure repainted by Collecta from my honest opinion.

ceratopsian

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator - I definitely can't argue that it was necessary to re-release the Diplodocus.  I would have preferred a new sauropod not already in their line, in an ideal world.  However, I think the painting  of the new version is more sophisticated and better blended than the 2013 version.  Not to say I don't like the 2013, I do!

ceratopsian

I have slightly mixed feelings about the CollectA Bajadasaurus.  On the one hand, the type specimen is fragmentary.  Of course, the skull is largely complete, which is a rarity for sauropods.  But generally I'm in favour of making models from animals known from substantial parts of the skeleton.  To balance against that, I can only admire how quickly CollectA brought a newly described taxon into model form.  I don't think any other large producer could have done this.

I like the model itself.  The thing that I'm less keen on is the paint scheme.  I find the sharply defined dark brown stripe running so very straight across the upper part of its body unsettling and somewhat jarring.  I think it's because it's so very straight.  It doesn't follow the line of the animal's body at all but just cuts straight across.  Also my brain picks up that it bears no relation to the pattern of large scales/scutes, but simply cuts straight across and this dissonance disturbs my equilibrium!  It also has some paint drip on on one side of its face from the spines above.

Anyway, I don't regret buying it.  Just wish I liked the paint scheme more!

It does have suitably shaped undersides to its front feet!

And the link to my Flickr album for Bajadasaurus: https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157713846849067

Shonisaurus

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Congratulations on your purchase of the Bajadasaurus. From my honest point of view I get the impression that the Collecta Bajadasaurus is for me the Bajadasaurus that I always wanted to obtain, it is true that the painting of his figure is too conservative but I honestly like it the way it is, the same with a more The Bajadasaurus would have been more striking, although the figure would obviously have been more expensive. In my case I put a note of 9.7 out of 10 to the Bajadasaurus and I do not put a 10 because I would have liked it to have been a much bigger figure.

EmperorDinobot

This is why I should be collecting CollectA. The diversity in dinosaurs is astounding.

SidB

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian , with careful color matching, the paint scheme can be slightly modified to eliminate the "straightness", without a wholesale repaint (but of course, you know this).

ceratopsian

Yes, I know. But I have absolutely zero skills at practical art. It would look appalling after my efforts I fear.

Quote from: SidB on April 12, 2020, 05:42:08 PM
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian , with careful color matching, the paint scheme can be slightly modified to eliminate the "straightness", without a wholesale repaint (but of course, you know this).

Halichoeres

It really is impressive how quickly they turned this one around. Despite its being fragmentary and the paint job being a little odd, I still plan to buy this once it's available in the States.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 12, 2020, 07:02:05 PM
Yes, I know. But I have absolutely zero skills at practical art. It would look appalling after my efforts I fear.

Quote from: SidB on April 12, 2020, 05:42:08 PM
Myself, I'm the picture of mediocrity, but sometimes i pull off a success story. Normally the thrift shop dinosaurs are useless junk, But in a case like this they can be useful for an experimental test run to see what could be accomplished by a budding, potential paleoartist (you never know ...).

ceratopsian

S @SidB : I'll bear that in mind!

Today I'm showing some pictures of the CollectA 2020 Baryonyx.  It wasn't top of my priority list - many of you will know I have a preference for herbivores over theropods.  However, I'm really glad I bought it.  As some of you have commented, it's a small figure.  But it's very detailed.  I like the colour scheme very much - simple but effective, with plenty of variation and gradation of colour.  I like the shift to yellow on the head and throat.  Striking but not garish.  And I like the accent of the touch of scarlet on the top its head.  My only real gripe: I do wish that CollectA would take the trouble to paint the leaves on their bases green (or autumnal shades, whatever), rather than leaving them the same as the mud/sand.  I guess I should get some paint and risk having a go!

And joined by the CollectA Ginkgo....

And the link to my Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157713872070087/with/49769251642/

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Lovely photography and review. Nice additions. After realizing the scale of that Baryonyx I'm sorta regretting not getting g it now
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Bokisaurus

Very nice photos, you are getting better and better!
I do agree on the Bajadasaurus painting, it needs to be broken up a bit, I'm really surprised that they didn't pull those dark colors and made some banding son the neck and tail at least... it's something I would like to try.
I actually got tow figure and repainted the other ones😃

Yes yes, the smaller Bary is a gem and I think very underrated figure.
It's beautifully sculpted with lots of details for such a small figure especially the head.

Lastly, I really like the new diplodocus repaint and wish I had gotten it.
The blending of colors looks fabulous.
I will get it next time.
Nice herd you got going there😃 wouldn't it be fun to have a whole herd of them, each painting differently?

I really encourage you to try painting the bases at least the leaves.
It's really not difficult.
I actually have been painting my bases and plan on posting them on my thread once I get this No computer thing figured out!😂

Shonisaurus

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Honestly the Collecta 2020 baryonyx is superior to its counterpart Deluxe is a very pretty figure. A small or very small figure is many times superior in quality than many large figures such as the Wild Past protoceratops and the same goes for the Collecta 2020 baryonyx although this figure is a standard size. I congratulate you on your new acquisition.

ceratopsian

Thank you avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus and avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx.

B @Bokisaurus - thank you.  Practice makes perfect!  I have a question.  I'm so ignorant about anything to do with painting - what type of paint would be best to use?  Something from a modelling shop?

I do hope you get the computer issue sorted. 

Concavenator

What scale the new Baryonyx truly is? I assume the one from last year is too big to be 1:40, as usually happens with them.

Actually I like this one more than the Deluxe, wish last year's would've been exactly like this and without the movable jaw.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: