You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK

That's a fantastic figure and one which needs no embellishment. Whilst it's a little larger than what I would normally would buy, I am so glad to own it too.

Halichoeres

That Caviramus repaint is stunning, beautiful work as always from Mr. Garratt. I'm also delighted to see the Lisowicia everywhere it turns up.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PlesiosaurusNessy

@ ceratopsian: Your new Caviramus is really an absolut beauty, a stunning piece of art of M. Garratt with a very extravagant outstanding colouring!
I like him very much and this new flying reptile figure in general, because I am a fan of all the flying reptiles!

The Lisowicia is also a wonderful work and she still is on my wishlist to buy her in the next time, a very extravagant looking extinct animal!
Paleontology: Science for the love to dinosaurs!

Libraraptor

That Caviramus paint is a real masterpiece! And the Lisowicia pictures do the figure justice and stress all its advantages!

ceratopsian

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Today I have a Martin model to show you.  (Actually I have four others in line waiting their turn as well!)  Here's my Pinacosaurus, an ankylosaur from the Late Cretaceous of Inner Mongolia, sculpted by the Forum's own talented avatar_Kayakasaurus @Kayakasaurus.  This ticked all the boxes for me.  I've wanted a model of this animal for a long time, and that desire was heightened when I visited our esteemed leader's Dinosaurs of China exhibition at Wollaton Hall back in 2017.  This longing was heightened by seeing the evocative fossil of the juvenile on display there, one of many found huddled together in a life position, legs tucked under their bodies, presumably sheltering from a sandstorm that killed them (and thereby providing some evidence of them living in social groups - what a wonder it would be to have a model of a whole group of juveniles living together and going about their daily life).

So thank you Kayakasaurus for granting my wish!  (If you ever feel like satisfying my other urge to have a good model of Lufengosaurus....!) 

In my opinion, the model is perfect.  It has great character - he looks to me like he's taken exception to something and is firmly voicing his disapproval.  It's small at 1:40 (Pinacosaurus was around 5m long and Martin's base is about 10cm long) but carries an enormous amount of detail, brought out beautifully by Martin's work.  The model captures perfectly the extraordinary width and relatively flat pancake build of the body - it was well named as "Plank Lizard".

If you want more or high-res images, here's the link to my Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157716610267183

My next model will be something even smaller......

Shonisaurus

Martin Garratt appears to have repainted the borealopelta-style pinacosaurus based on the latest scientific findings. It has been awesome.

Halichoeres

Another terrific decorating job by Mr. Garratt. And a great sculpt of everyone's favorite forbidden ambulatory pancake.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Congrats Elizabeth. But i have one question:

How much does Mr Garrat often ask for.
Heres a scenario:
Say i  finally get my papo spinosaurus 2019. And i want him to paint it like the GR toys green edition, but a little more saturated. How much will that cost? +10, +20, +50?

ceratopsian

Thanks for the comments on the Pinacosaurus.

Now we go even smaller.  Here is the Shapeways Protoceratops by Wild Past, our own avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector.  At 1:35, it's small - the base is only 5.5 cm across.  I let Martin choose the scheme and only said that he shouldn't camouflage the little mammal too well, otherwise I might not see it in the tree trunk!  How Martin managed to get a touch of pink in his ears I'll never know!

If you want to see full resolution images, or indeed a few more, here's the link to my Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157716640325537

Faelrin

More beautiful additions. I'm really stunned by how the detail was painted on the tiny Protoceratops + model such as the mammal, but of course Pinacosaurus looks fantastic too. The bases are excellent as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyCollector

Quote from: ceratopsian on October 30, 2020, 11:26:41 AM

How is this possible on such a small figure? I mean the picture itself is three times as big as the actual figure. This is amazing! Mr. Garratt did an excellent job once more.

I just discovered the Hypsilophodon you've also shared in this thread. They are beautiful - I love this colour scheme.

Jose S.M.

This shows the artistic capabilities of both Mr Garrat and avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector. One for the detailed painting on such a small figure and one for sculpting it that beautifully at that scale, this version I would have thought it was the size of a standard CollectA figure if I didn't knew its size before.

Shonisaurus

Martin Garratt is a masterpiece, he is a great artist, I congratulate him and DinoToyCollector for his outstanding sculpture obviously to Shapeways and Wild Past. I congratulate you on your new repaint, they have left you the spectacular protoceratops!

Bokisaurus

WOW, so much new candy to look at! Those new ones are fabulous! That small protoceratops is awesome! It's on my list.

postsaurischian

Very beautiful additions. I love how the tiny mammal seems to complain about being disturbed :) .
To me the Pinacosaurus is Kayakasaurus' masterpiece so far.
Martin has done a wonderful job!

Halichoeres

Another beauty. The intricate paint work definitely makes it look less tiny than it is.

ceratopsian

Thank you, friends, for the comments on the little Protoceratops

If you thought that was small and a test of Martin Garratt's skill, here is an even greater test.  At the same time as the Protoceratops, I also ordered Wild Past's pair of mating Velociraptors from Shapeways.  I had rather fancied this when it was released for its novel subject, but it was so tiny it didn't seem something to order by itself.  At 1:35, the pair is exceedingly small.  The base is about 6 cm across, and the total height is around 1.5 cm.  At that size, it was on the very edge of my photographic capabilities.  I hope avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector is as pleased with Martin's work on this as he was with the Protoceratops!

I left Martin to choose the colour scheme, only asking for some sexual dimorphism.  I asked him to include footprints on the base, so that it would suggest that the pair had engaged in some sort of display "dance" in a stamped down area before mating proper took place.  (There was a suggestion a while back that such a dancing ground had been identified - though not for a Velociraptor.)

If you want hi-res images, here's my Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157716705326328/with/50555985812/

Shonisaurus

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Martin Garratt is a complete craftsman of repainting, in this case giving paint to the two mating raptors. He has been great. I congratulate you on your new figure and magnificent photographs.

Halichoeres

Kapitaenosavrvs

Awww. Beautiful. Nicely done. I love all the small footprints. As Halichoeres said, it tells a Story.

The other Additions do not need more Words. Great opportunity to see all these Figures professionally painted.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: