News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Dinosaur Expo 2016 figures by Kaiyodo

Started by Bokisaurus, March 31, 2016, 08:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Well, here we go, The Dinosaur Expo 2016 by Kaiyodo figures set have finally landed!
It's great to see new expo sets from Kaiyodo, it's been a while since we got some new and exciting set from them.
There are four figures in the set, with some unusual ones along with some old favorite.
Let's start with the best and most unique figures first.

Yi qi
Without a doubt, this is the best and most highly anticipated figure from the set since this is the first figure to come out for this species.
The dinosaur with a bat-like wings is beautifully sculpted and posed in a dynamic landing pose. There are feathering on this figure including long tail feathers.

And since I have an extra one... ^-^

Next up, The new Spinosaurus
Here we have a new spinosaurus based on the latest research. It's a wonderful figures, I particularly love the colors on this guy.

With CollectA's version

Juvenile Parasaurolophus
Well, I'm assuming that it is a juvenile since it has a small headgear. It's great to see a new young version that is not just a miniature cartoon version of an adult one.
The pose is great, but unfortunately it colors are not that exciting- just plain green ( reminds me of a frog :))

Last, Tyrannosaur ( again)
Well, they just have to put in yet another T. rex :)
This figure is the weakest of the set, and nothing special about it. It is feathered, but the coloration is just drab brown, and the naked and differently colored legs just make it even worst.It looks like it's wearing a green socks! :))
What a shame, they could have chosen another more exciting species.

There you have it! For sure, the collection is worth acquiring since they have some true gems.

A huge thank you to Brett ( brettnj) for securing these figures for me! If you want to get a hold of these figures, contact Brett- he really is the best and cheapest source around!
Cheers :)

ceratopsian

What beautiful photos!  I agree completely on your analysis.  I love the Yi - though I was worried I might break the tail feathers in my efforts to attach them. (I didn't, thank goodness.)  And the Tyrannosaurus is the weakest figure.  The leg joins on mine are painfully obvious and the two ends of the legs are not even the same shape to fit together well.  But overall I'm really delighted with the figures as a group.  (And yes, thanks to Brett.)

suspsy

I'd like to see you review these for the DTB, Bokisaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoG

I bet that YI is gonna become very popular with other toy companies soon
Run!

Halichoeres

Quote from: DinoG on April 01, 2016, 12:19:29 AM

I think you're right. Today I learned that Planeta DeAgostini made a Yi figure--they may even have beaten Kaiyodo to the punch. Kaiyodo's is far superior, of course.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

postsaurischian

Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 31, 2016, 08:24:10 PM
Here we have a new spinosaurus based on the latest research. It's a wonderful figure, I particularly love the colors on this guy.

The Spinosaurus is exceptionally beautiful, probably the most beautiful of the new anatomy figures.
Did you see that the paper says it is sculpted by Shinzen :)?

Roselaar

A hit an miss set then. I love the Yi and Spino, but I don't cae much for the others.

Thanks for pointing out that other Yi Qi figure, saves me from adding the Kaiyodo Yi to the Unique Species List. ;)

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 01, 2016, 01:19:56 AM
Quote from: DinoG on April 01, 2016, 12:19:29 AM

I think you're right. Today I learned that Planeta DeAgostini made a Yi figure--they may even have beaten Kaiyodo to the punch. Kaiyodo's is far superior, of course.

I just got my Yi qi. I can't see the difference... :P

Bokisaurus

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 01, 2016, 11:29:58 AM
Here we have a new spinosaurus based on the latest research. It's a wonderful figure, I particularly love the colors on this guy.

The Spinosaurus is exceptionally beautiful, probably the most beautiful of the new anatomy figures.
No, I did not even notice that it was sculpted by Shinzen!

SBell

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 04, 2016, 03:58:53 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on April 01, 2016, 11:29:58 AM

No, I did not even notice that it was sculpted by Shinzen!

I am really glad I got that one; it is the chase figure in the capsule machines, but totally worth the extra expense (which, seriously, wasn't that bad, less than 2000Yen altogether)! Of course, that price will be shooting up soon...

And of course, the Yi qi is great as well. Such a bizarre critter.

terrorchicken

oh so thats that bat dino Ive seen on Google. So odd for a dino to evolve bat wings and it only now gets discovered.

Arul

Imho this the best new updated spinosaurus replica, i love the paint and detail. Its not too small but its not too big :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.