News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Advice for an Archaeopteryx figure?

Started by Georassic, April 06, 2016, 05:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georassic

What's the best Archaeopteryx figure out there, as close to 1:10 or 1:12 as possible.
I feel like that animal is a hole in my collection...
thanks for any advice!
geo

Blade-of-the-Moon

Probably a Kaiyodo or a Tamiya one would be the closest.

postsaurischian

The Tamiya is in 1:35, probably too small for you.

I would say either Kaiyodo - Dinotales series 2 No.036 (Archaeopteryx),
or Colorata - Discover Dinosaurs: Dino Jurassic Vol.3 No.6 (Archaeopteryx lithographica).

Georassic

postsaurischian

Super tiny :)! It's the smallest figure in my collection.

postsaurischian

..... some pics:

The large scale figure stands 18 cm tall ~ 1:10
  The small scale figure stands 5 cm tall ~ 1:35

Colorata                                                      Kaiyodo                            Tamiya

closer look at Colorata and Kaiyodo:

Halichoeres

I highly recommend the Kaiyodo. My measurements suggest it's around 1:7, but that's pretty damn close! I don't have the Colorata, but it's also a beauty--and from these photos looks maybe a bit closer to 1:10.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

Keep in mind most Archie specimens are quite a bit smaller than the largest known. Just eyeballing it, if that larger human figure is 1:10, both the Kaiyodo and Tamiya look like they're close to the size range you'd see at 1:10. Kaiyodo is bigger than the Wellnhoferia specimen but iirc even that one is immature. The Tamiya is between the Berlin and Jurapteryx Archie size at 1:10. It's certainly nowhere near 1:35 for a typical Archie, maybe for a hypothetical huge adult...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Georassic

Fantastic advice, all. Thank you. And, I do have a 1:35 shelf too, so I suppose I'll need to get the Tamiya too.  ;)
Red's my color, so I think the Colorata may win out. But it'll be harder to find as a single figure, so I may end up with the Kaiyodo too.
So looks like I'm adding three dino-birds to my wishlist.   ;D

Thanks again!!!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Georassic on April 07, 2016, 12:14:25 AM
Fantastic advice, all. Thank you. And, I do have a 1:35 shelf too, so I suppose I'll need to get the Tamiya too.  ;)
Red's my color, so I think the Colorata may win out. But it'll be harder to find as a single figure, so I may end up with the Kaiyodo too.
So looks like I'm adding three dino-birds to my wishlist.   ;D

Thanks again!!!

Assuming that pic is correct, the Tamiya wouldn't make a great 1:35 Archaeopteryx... it might be able to stand in for a 1:35 Saurornitholestes or a medium sized 1:35 Velociraptor!

The Tamiya is up the the knee of that 1:35 human. The largest Archaeopteryx known out of many specimens is the orange one here:

The entire length from tail feathers to snout would be knee high, not the head height...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net