News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Carnegie Dinos (1988-2002)

Started by Pachyallosaurus, June 12, 2016, 02:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyallosaurus

What are your favorite Carnegies from 1988 to 2002?

Roselaar

The latest Carnotaurus and Brachiosaurus and the Giganotosaurus, Miragaia and Tylosaurus would constitute my Top-5 in no specific order.

Pachyallosaurus

Roselaar

That's cool. But what I meant was the models released from 1988 to 2002, since I feel that the older models aren't talked about as much. So yeah.

Pachyallosaurus

Roselaar

That's cool. But what I meant was the models released from 1988 to 2002, since I feel that the older models aren't talked about as much. So yeah.

Roselaar

Quote from: Pachyallosaurus on June 12, 2016, 03:51:16 PM
Roselaar

Oops, missed that detail. But then, the older models just aren't as good. I'll go with the Elasmosaurus then, first Carnegie toy I got.

CityRaptor

Out of that era? An easy choice for me! Corythosaurus! An elegant creature in a world of mostly crude ones. ( Of course those also have their own charm, don't get me wrong )
http://dinotoyblog.com/2009/08/31/corythosaurus-carnegie-collection-by-safari-ltd/

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

John

From the beginning of the line until 2002?
Let's see...there's the Protoceratops from 1989 Iguanodon in 1992,Dilophosaurus pair in 1994 and Plateosaurus in 1995.
Then there's the Psittacosaurus and 10th anniversary Tyrannosaurus in 1999,Tanystropheus and Triceratops in 2000,Dimetrodon in 2001 and Styracosaurus in 2002. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Gwangi

The 1989 Brachiosaurus will always be a favorite of mine. Mostly for nostalgia reasons but also for it's size and weight. It's a beast of a toy, as a sauropod toy should be.
I also have a soft spot for the original Maiasaura on nest. It's ridiculous but unique, I like it. I'm also a fan of the Protoceratops nest and Deinonychus trio, again, because they are unique.
The 1993 Corythosaurus is still the best models of the genus that I can think of and certainly one of the best hadrosaur toys ever produced.

Some other favorites...
1995 Plateosaurus
1997 Saltasaurus
1998 Deltadromeus
1999 Psittacosaurus
2000 Tanystropheus
2002 Camarasaurus

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I would have to agree that the Corythosaurus is my  absolute favorite from that time frame; it was the single best, most accurate model I owned for the longest time. I also have a soft spot for the Deinonychus pack, the Maiasaurua & nest, and the fighting Dilophosaurs (my first purchase! Way back when I was a little kid).

DinoLord

When I was a kid I'd always see the Brachiosaurus and Diplodocus in stores, yet my parents were never willing to get me them. At age 18 I finally managed to acquire these nostalgic figures.

Asides from those two, the Corythosaurus is my favorite. It's elegant and has aged well.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: DinoLord on June 21, 2016, 12:42:50 AM
When I was a kid I'd always see the Brachiosaurus and Diplodocus in stores, yet my parents were never willing to get me them. At age 18 I finally managed to acquire these nostalgic figures.

This^ right there is so accurate. I feel like that all the time, buying old models I couldn't get when I was younger.

As for my favorite Carnegies, I'd agree, with the brachiosaurus and diplodocus, but I would also add the apatosaurus pair to my list. The sitting maiasaura is also one of my favorites, I don't think it ever left my mountain since I bought it a few years ago.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

amargasaurus cazaui

Had to do a variation of this theme when choosing which models to ask Forest Rogers to autograph for my collection...some of my choices were the psittacoaurus of course, but one of my all time favorites from the line was in fact the corythosaurus.Also sent a deltadromeus, an oviraptor, and a dilophosaurus from the pair.(bear in mind when sending something to be signed you are shipping it there, and providing a box within large enough to return everything with all postage paid. The big sauropods might have been cost ineffective...smaller sculpts were chosen in a few slots. If the concept is the autograph itself, it has much meaning on one piece she did as another ulitmately, with my possible exception being the psittacoaur of course
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CarnegieCollector

The elasmosaurus ( the original one), the Dilophosaurus pair, the styracosaurus, and my very favorite:
The green mosasaurus!  ;D
He is soooo cheesy and inaccurate, but I just LOVE this guy! I named mine "sea pickle".
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

laticauda

Top 5:
1. Diplodocus.  I saved up my paper route money to get this awesome toy.  Has graced my shelf ever since the mid 90's.

2. Allosaurus.  I know it is rather generic, but it was my first Allosaurus that  wasn't a small plastic cheap dollar store toy.

3. Corythosaurus.  Amazing!  Great colors and sculpt.

4. Saltasaurus.  I think it looks great.

5. Styracosaurus.  I am not even sure why, I just like it. 

Honorable mention:  Protoceratops on nest

Zhuchengotyrant

I will reiterate what has been stated here countless times-I love the Corythosaurus.
As for others, I love the newer Maiasaura, the Baryonyx, and the Saltasaurus
-Zhuchengotyrant

Dinoguy2

Brachiosaurus for sure. Still my favorite sauropod figure of all time.

I remember the first time I saw Carnegie dinosaurs at a hobby shop and that brachiosaurus was the centerpiece of a little display they had set up. I could only convince my parents to buy me the Pteranodon;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shonisaurus

Many preferred for example:

Miragaia, Carnotaurus, diplodocus (last edition), brachiosaurus or giraffatitan (last edition), kronosaurus (not to be confused with Safari) was for me a very precious figure and still remains.

I liked a lot for example caudiptyeryx, beipiaosaurus, feathered oviraptor and oviraptor hierarchy (the latter sold me Dinolord and I am very grateful), the protoceratops with nest. To give some examples.

BlueKrono

The old Carnegie Spinosaurus is probably my favorite dinosaur toy of all time, or at least the one I loved the most for the longest period of my life. The Brachiosaurus was a dream that took me many years to acquire. The Saltasaurus inspired me to collect osteoderm-bearing titanosaurs. The Elasmosaurus and Tylosaurus were probably my first aquatics, and I rather fancied the Pachycephalosaurs too. You had to get two, for obvious reasons.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

laticauda

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 22, 2017, 01:33:12 PM
The old Carnegie Spinosaurus is probably my favorite dinosaur toy of all time, or at least the one I loved the most for the longest period of my life. The Brachiosaurus was a dream that took me many years to acquire. The Saltasaurus inspired me to collect osteoderm-bearing titanosaurs. The Elasmosaurus and Tylosaurus were probably my first aquatics, and I rather fancied the Pachycephalosaurs too. You had to get two, for obvious reasons.

The old Carnegie Spinosaurus is in interesting choice.  No doubt it has some charm to it.  Do you have the original brown or the repainted red, or both?  Toys from our childhood seem to matter the most to us.  That's why I love the Big Al and Dippy. 

BlueKrono

Quote from: laticauda on April 22, 2017, 02:16:35 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on April 22, 2017, 01:33:12 PM

The old Carnegie Spinosaurus is in interesting choice.  No doubt it has some charm to it.  Do you have the original brown or the repainted red, or both?  Toys from our childhood seem to matter the most to us.  That's why I love the Big Al and Dippy.

Both, and the Salvat knockoff. Got the black and red repaint at the Science Museum of MN gift shop. He became the brown's evil doppelgänger.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: