You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Giganotosaurus vs. charcarodontosaurus

Started by CarnegieCollector, July 19, 2016, 12:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnegieCollector

Ok, everyone is always going on and on and on and on (and on) about "who would win, T. rex or spinosaurus?"
But no one ever really pays too much attention to the other huge theropods: charcarodontosaurus and Giganotosaurus.

So who do you think would win in a fight? Let's just say one of them got their hands on a time machine, and ended up in the same area to fight. Who would win?

I vote Giganotosaurus. 'Cause he is bigger, seems more powerful, and has a cooler name. That last reason was irrelevant....
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Derek.McManus

In nature why would large carnivorous animals fight? It seems rather pointless. Surely they would simply display to each other establish dominance then preserve their territory?  Or am I missing something?

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: Derek.McManus on July 19, 2016, 01:28:19 AM
In nature why would large carnivorous animals fight? It seems rather pointless. Surely they would simply display to each other establish dominance then preserve their territory?  Or am I missing something?

Yes, that is a good point. They would probably just puff their chests out to look bigger. That chances of them actually fighting each other would most likely be slim.

To be honest, I don't really know why people really like the idea of giant predatory dinosaurs fighting.

Gwangi

Predators frequently kill other predators, to "do in" the competition if you will. Lions vs. hyenas and wolves vs. coyotes are two popular examples.

Normally I don't get into these versus games but in the case of Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus they are two very similar animals. The Giganotosaurus was larger so perhaps chance would favor its odds but really it probably would come down to whichever individual had the tactical advantage or was healthier, more experienced etc. 

Simon

Quote from: Gwangi on July 19, 2016, 03:05:58 AM

Predators frequently kill other predators, to "do in" the competition if you will. Lions vs. hyenas and wolves vs. coyotes are two popular examples.

Normally I don't get into these versus games but in the case of Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus they are two very similar animals. The Giganotosaurus was larger so perhaps chance would favor its odds but really it probably would come down to whichever individual had the tactical advantage or was healthier, more experienced etc.

Happily, it seems unlikely that the two ever met, since Africa and South America had already separated by their time.  Hence these two cousins were free to continue evolving without having to encounter each other ...

Sim

The size ranges of Carcharodontosaurus and Giganotosaurus are basically identical.

DinoLord

I don't think one would have a tangible advantage over the other. They're so morphologically similar it'd come down to factors like individual variation, chance, etc.

suspsy

Tyrannosaurus rex breaks up the fight and negotiates a mutually beneficial peace treaty between his two warring subjects, who in turn bow their heads in respect and admiration of their king's strength and wisdom.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: suspsy on July 19, 2016, 04:51:39 PM
Tyrannosaurus rex breaks up the fight and negotiates a mutually beneficial peace treaty between his two warring subjects, who in turn bow their heads in respect and admiration of their king's strength and wisdom.
This is, by far, the best reply to a topic I have ever seen! Lol  :)

Simon

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on July 19, 2016, 05:57:05 PM
This is, by far, the best reply to a topic I have ever seen! Lol  :)

WHAT HE SAID!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gwangi

That's ridiculous, Tyrannosaurus lived MILLIONS of years after the other two. Besides, Tyrannosaurus is the TYRANT king. I don't think negotiating peace is apart of its skill set.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: Gwangi on July 19, 2016, 09:44:44 PM
That's ridiculous. Tyrannosaurus is the TYRANT king. I don't think negotiating peace is apart of its skill set.
Man, once you start bringing all that scientific stuff into this, it gets less cool...T. rex was DEFINATLY peaceful. 

:))

Gwangi

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on July 19, 2016, 09:50:00 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 19, 2016, 09:44:44 PM
That's ridiculous. Tyrannosaurus is the TYRANT king. I don't think negotiating peace is apart of its skill set.
Man, once you start bringing all that scientific stuff into this, it gets less cool...T. rex was DEFINATLY peaceful. 

:))

Hey man, the name suggests otherwise. It's not called the "peaceful lizard king".

Sim

I agree with Gwangi.  Also, what some humans who really like Tyrannosaurus see it as isn't what animals that coexisted with Tyrannosaurus saw it as.

Kovu

If things get out of hand, will King Rex call in the Trikes of the Round Table?

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on July 20, 2016, 12:42:42 AM
I agree with Gwangi.  Also, what some humans who really like Tyrannosaurus see it as isn't what animals that coexisted with Tyrannosaurus saw it as.

You're right. The edmontosaurs revere T. rex not merely as their king, but as a god among mortals. Indeed, they willingly flip over on their backs whenever he walks by. To be selected for devouring is considered the highest honour!

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on July 20, 2016, 02:55:57 AM

You're right. The edmontosaurs revere T. rex not merely as their king, but as a god among mortals. Indeed, they willingly flip over on their backs whenever he walks by. To be selected for devouring is considered the highest honour!

Dinosaur society must be similar to what we saw in "The Lion King", where the prey animals celebrate the birth of their predator.

Kovu

Except for a wise-cracking Thescelosaurus and a flatulent Leptoceratops. They serve as the babysitters.

Sim

If so, what does that make the parasites that appear to have devoured the bone of living Tyrannosaurus individuals, eventually causing these dinosaurs to starve to death?

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0007288
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090929133117.htm

Quote from: Gwangi on July 20, 2016, 03:13:48 AM

Dinosaur society must be similar to what we saw in "The Lion King", where the prey animals celebrate the birth of their predator.

Yeah, that's weird.  And it's great evidence for suspsy's creative suggestions occurring only in the human mind and not in nature, as can be seen by comparing "The Lion King" to the modern African ecosystem. ;)

suspsy

Given that this is a thread about a fantasy fight between two animals living on different continents that were separated by an ocean, realism goes right out the window. It's called having a sense of humour, Sim. You may want to try it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: