News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New project questionairre, win a book

Started by btb300, August 07, 2016, 08:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btb300

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 14, 2016, 10:41:47 PM
I've never seen that exact method used before, but it definitely doesn't seem like it would add enough stability for an elaborately posed biped. If anything it seems more a countermeasure to the horses small feet than to its balance. That being said a slightly larger variation, something similar to the Playmobil flamingos, might work. Or for something very elaborately posed or even held off the ground something similar to a Figma might work. It's a lot like the Beasts of the Mesozoic posts but jointed and attached to a weighted base to allow for otherwise impossible poses or even holding the figure off the ground.

This Figma solution is quite clever, but even being transparent it looks a bit obtrusive. Anyway I think it is more suited to posebla figures than static ones. There is just so much to figure out, but it's great to see how different approaches can be taken to the same problem.
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 15, 2016, 04:03:50 AM
That Trcic Allo is a beautiful piece. I can't imagine how that pose would be possible without a metal rod, but maybe they imagined something I cannot. :)
Should I get one just to break it's leg to see?  >:D No, maybe an x-ray radiograph would do... :D
Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

Tyto_Theropod

Completed, and interested to know more. I chose the realistic bases option, but I actually have a more detailed opinion than this. I really don't like figures with permanently attached bases, and I don't buy them. However, if a figure needed help standing when displayed, I think a detachable base is an excellent idea. I chose 'detailed' on a whim, because you could get it to reflect the animal's environment, but I also like clear, unobtrusive bases. I'm really digging the acrylic disc system Kovu showed us. 'In between' bases are not for me, a pile of generic ground seems very dull and can ruin an otherwise good model (obviously it would help if it was detachable)!

With a detachable base, you have a variety of options, the most basic of which is to have indents for the model's feet. However, I would recommend that you went a step further and added a peg on base/notch on foot system so the models couldn't be knocked off the base - especially important if your chosen material is fragile resin! Having the notch rather than the peg on the model's foot would still allow it to free-stand so people could have that option. The alternative is the have a clear rod extending from the base and connecting to a notch in the main body of the figure, which would be especially handy for leaping, flying or swimming poses. You could use either of these, or you could choose which would be better for the individual figure. If any of this was unclear, I can always whip up some diagrams and post them.

Of course this is just my opinion and you can go for a permanent base if you feel that is what is best.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Mamasaurus

This looks very interesting, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens here. :) That book has been on my personal wish list for a while now, so if I don't make the draw I'll have to ask dear Hubby to get it as a birthday gift or something :)

As far as bases go, I would be over the moon about something with perfect balance, a gorgeous removable base, with a figure that is somehow sturdy enough for my kids to play with (because I'm not collecting toys that my kids can't enjoy).  But I understand the limitations, so I'm up for anything that will ensure as much accuracy and aesthetics as possible, while remaining as stable as possible.

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

btb300

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on August 18, 2016, 12:49:14 PM
Completed, and interested to know more. I chose the realistic bases option, but I actually have a more detailed opinion than this. I really don't like figures with permanently attached bases, and I don't buy them. However, if a figure needed help standing when displayed, I think a detachable base is an excellent idea. I chose 'detailed' on a whim, because you could get it to reflect the animal's environment, but I also like clear, unobtrusive bases. I'm really digging the acrylic disc system Kovu showed us. 'In between' bases are not for me, a pile of generic ground seems very dull and can ruin an otherwise good model (obviously it would help if it was detachable)!

With a detachable base, you have a variety of options, the most basic of which is to have indents for the model's feet. However, I would recommend that you went a step further and added a peg on base/notch on foot system so the models couldn't be knocked off the base - especially important if your chosen material is fragile resin! Having the notch rather than the peg on the model's foot would still allow it to free-stand so people could have that option. The alternative is the have a clear rod extending from the base and connecting to a notch in the main body of the figure, which would be especially handy for leaping, flying or swimming poses. You could use either of these, or you could choose which would be better for the individual figure. If any of this was unclear, I can always whip up some diagrams and post them.

Of course this is just my opinion and you can go for a permanent base if you feel that is what is best.
I think that in the end the type of base will come down to the individual model, but premanent bases are not really an option, I would like to keep the ability for anyone to remove them. The need for a supporting rod will depend on the center of weight of the figure, as some designs will surely not be balanced on their own due to the poses applied. The weight distribution of the actual animal was obviously different due to the varying density than a plastic or resin replica with uniform materials. Maybe adding some counterwights could help in certain situations to balance the figure, I will look into if it is a viable option.
Quote from: Mamasaurus on August 18, 2016, 03:01:07 PM
This looks very interesting, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens here. :) That book has been on my personal wish list for a while now, so if I don't make the draw I'll have to ask dear Hubby to get it as a birthday gift or something :)

As far as bases go, I would be over the moon about something with perfect balance, a gorgeous removable base, with a figure that is somehow sturdy enough for my kids to play with (because I'm not collecting toys that my kids can't enjoy).  But I understand the limitations, so I'm up for anything that will ensure as much accuracy and aesthetics as possible, while remaining as stable as possible.
I will definitely reveal some more details about the concept of the project once the deadline for the questionairre is over. The book itself is a great read, I am sure you will enjoy it a lot whichever way you will get it in the end :)

btb300

btb300

btb300

Only one day left, for those of you who are interested in the book ;)

btb300

Hi Everyone!

So I closed the questionairre on Sunday, and finally got around to do the draw. For that I asked my daughter to help me, which ensured a completely honest and unbiased procedure (since she cannot read yet  ;)).

And the lucky winner is: >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> DinoLord <<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<

Thank you all for helping me by filling out the form and discussing some ideas in the thread. I will keep you updated as time and progress allows  :)

Lanthanotus

Congratulations to the winner and for you for successfully closing the questionary, good luck with that project :)

Jose S.M.

Congratulations to Dinolord,  and I hope you keep us updated about the project.

Derek.McManus

congratulations to Dinolord and my applause on your excellent choice of impartial referee!

Halichoeres

Yes, that's a most excellent arbiter! Congrats, DinoLord!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

If it isn't too late, I have some more thoughts on bases...

I like being able to pick up a prehistoric animal figure and look at it from different angles and use it to imagine the animal doing different things. Consequently, I dislike it when the animal has a base permanently attached to it, or food in its mouth for example.  It's also why I don't think I'd want a prehistoric animal figure that can be removed from its base, but has a hole in its stomach for a rod to connect it to its base.  If I look at it from below, I see a hole in its stomach which breaks imagining it as a real animal.  Although I would rather a prehistoric animal figure didn't have any holes for pegs to insert into it, I can tolerate holes in the feet.  Holes anywhere else though and I don't think I'd get the figure.  Pegs coming out from the figure such as from its feet which insert into holes in the base, like in Colorata's theropods as Halichoeres mentioned earlier, is just as bad if not worse than being permanently attached to a base, for me.

I really like the idea of flying and swimming animals having bases similar to those Invicta made for their marine animals, where the figure rests on the base.  E.g.: blue whale, Ichthyosaurus, plesiosaur, Liopleurodon (pliosaur).  This allows the figure to be removed from the base and no holes need to be made in the figure for it to fit onto the base.  The base would also raise the flying/swimming animal off the ground and make it look like it's flying or swimming. :)  I think it could also allow the animal to be positioned slightly differently on the base to allow for slightly different flying or swimming poses, such as flying/swimming horizontally, to the side, up, or down.  The Invicta Ichthyosaurus on its base can be seen here, and the others can be seen by clicking on links below it: http://maxmagnusnorman.com/dinosaurs/ichthyosaurus.shtml

The first photo of the Carnegie Ichthyosaurus in its DTB review shows it on the Invicta Ichthyosaurus's base where it is tilting upwards on the left side.  That's an example of the different posing options available to a figure on this kind of base that I was referring to.  Here's the DTB review: http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/06/23/ichthyosaurus-2010-carnegie-collection-by-safari-ltd/

DinoLord

Thanks for the congratulations, and to btb300 for hosting this giveaway. This topic is certainly one I'm passionate about, so it's great to see it get further discussion and be considered by a future figure project. I look forward to seeing what comes out of this.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.