News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New project questionairre, win a book

Started by btb300, August 07, 2016, 08:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btb300

Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask for your help in a new dinosaur figurine project I've been working on for some time now. I have created a short questionairre and would be very happy to learn about your likings and preferences. This would be a huge aid to determine final parameters of the figures and I am counting on you to voice your opinion.

https://goo.gl/forms/4VUt43BSUdGmrOgb2

I wouldn't like to go into details about the project now, so as to keep everyone unbiased. Also as to thank for your help I would like to give away a book (okay, this is probably the biggest spoiler), if you would like to participate in the draw please enter your forum nickname at the end of the form.

As I probably did not include everything in the form and you can think some other aspects or you would like to discuss some points further please feel free to do so in this thread.

Cheers
Andras
Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

btb300

I forgot to mention that I am going to close this on the the 28th of August, so please fill out the form by then, especially if you are interested in the book.

Kayakasaurus

I submitted  :) I checked no bases, but if these are mostly birds, and small raptors, then bases would be useful.
I can't wait to learn more!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Libraraptor

Patrx

Questionnaire complete! This seems like a very exciting project. I think bases are a must, myself.

Jose S.M.

I already submitted too. I like to see how the project turns out!

Sim

I submitted it yesterday.  This project sounds interesting!

I chose the no bases option.  However, a figure coming with a base that isn't permanently attached wouldn't stop me from getting it.  If a base is permanently attached to the animal I definitely would not get the figure though.

Halichoeres

My own preference is that things depicted in flying or swimming poses have removable bases. For bipeds, if the pose is unstable I prefer a base, detachable or not. But I place a higher priority on aesthetics and accuracy than on stability--I don't mind if a good looking figure has to lean on its neighbor.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Takama

I chose Simple bases, and unlike a majority of people here, i want them permanent so its garenteed to never topple over and get a paint rub

Sim

Quote from: Takama on August 09, 2016, 11:24:04 PM
I chose Simple bases, and unlike a majority of people here, i want them permanent so its garenteed to never topple over and get a paint rub

Some members on this forum have reported having CollectA figures on permanent bases still topple.

stargatedalek

I only like bases if they're either unobtrusive or detailed. Bases like CollectA's occupy this awful middle ground where you can't not see it but it doesn't look pleasing enough to like the base itself.

Halichoeres

Speaking of unobtrusive, on another thread Kovu mentioned some horse figures that use small acrylic disks for stability. Just one idea.

@Sim, Takama: Yeah, I've had several CollectA figures drooping over their bases (Ichthyovenator, Xiongguanlong, and even the new Metriacanthosaurus).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

EmperorDinobot

btb300

Thanks for everyone who has already submitted the answers. I also really like the comments on the bases, I will keep the ideas in mind. I am excited to share more details with you in the near future and cannot thank enough for your help.

btb300

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 10, 2016, 05:59:07 AM
Speaking of unobtrusive, on another thread Kovu mentioned some horse figures that use small acrylic disks for stability. Just one idea.
Actually the more I think about this simple, clear base the more I like the idea. But I assume these are not removable, which may be not convenient for some. What do you think about the small struts of the raptor figures in the Beasts of the mesozoic series, or Rebor Dimorphodon? I personally think it would be better without them, but standing on one leg can be tricky even with a base if the center of gravity is off...

Halichoeres

Quote from: btb300 on August 12, 2016, 10:54:24 PM
Actually the more I think about this simple, clear base the more I like the idea. But I assume these are not removable, which may be not convenient for some. What do you think about the small struts of the raptor figures in the Beasts of the mesozoic series, or Rebor Dimorphodon? I personally think it would be better without them, but standing on one leg can be tricky even with a base if the center of gravity is off...

There are similar struts made of clear acrylic with Colorata's theropods and pterosaurs, and I think they work well. Like Favorite figures, Colorata's theropods are removable from the bases; however, the figures have pegs while the bases have holes, unlike Favorite figures. This strikes me as strange as it makes it impossible to stand the figures on any surface other than the base.

As for the simple, clear bases, the horse figures in question usually have two feet on the ground, which is much easier to balance than only one foot, of course. For a biped in a one-legged stance, the balance could be pretty difficult, I agree, and I salute your willingness to attempt something so ambitious. Depending on the material you're working with, would it be possible to either weight the base or have a rod that extends up through a hollow leg? I've never tried it, and frankly it sounds pretty difficult. It's a hard problem to produce a static figure of a biped when actual bipeds are more or less constantly adjusting to keep from falling, which is why I'm pretty forgiving of just about any solution that a figure producer comes up with.

btb300

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 13, 2016, 03:32:32 PM
Quote from: btb300 on August 12, 2016, 10:54:24 PM

There are similar struts made of clear acrylic with Colorata's theropods and pterosaurs, and I think they work well. Like Favorite figures, Colorata's theropods are removable from the bases; however, the figures have pegs while the bases have holes, unlike Favorite figures. This strikes me as strange as it makes it impossible to stand the figures on any surface other than the base.

As for the simple, clear bases, the horse figures in question usually have two feet on the ground, which is much easier to balance than only one foot, of course. For a biped in a one-legged stance, the balance could be pretty difficult, I agree, and I salute your willingness to attempt something so ambitious. Depending on the material you're working with, would it be possible to either weight the base or have a rod that extends up through a hollow leg? I've never tried it, and frankly it sounds pretty difficult. It's a hard problem to produce a static figure of a biped when actual bipeds are more or less constantly adjusting to keep from falling, which is why I'm pretty forgiving of just about any solution that a figure producer comes up with.
I have been thinking about the hollow leg option, which would allow to have a flat sole, but in case of a relatively thin leg it would make that part even more fragile. That however also depends on the material, on which I haven't made a final decision yet. Embedding in clear resin or hanging from a helium ballon are not really an option here  :-\
I always wondered how this Allosaurus is balanced, whether it needs a strong connection to the base or is it just an unstable balance,

This one is a great sculpt in this regards in my opinion, as are some other Trcic models.

btb300

14 days left, so there is still time to fill out the form  ;)

stargatedalek

I've never seen that exact method used before, but it definitely doesn't seem like it would add enough stability for an elaborately posed biped. If anything it seems more a countermeasure to the horses small feet than to its balance. That being said a slightly larger variation, something similar to the Playmobil flamingos, might work. Or for something very elaborately posed or even held off the ground something similar to a Figma might work. It's a lot like the Beasts of the Mesozoic posts but jointed and attached to a weighted base to allow for otherwise impossible poses or even holding the figure off the ground.

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 10, 2016, 11:09:28 AM
I really want that book. Like really.
Seems I have competition  >:D

Halichoeres

That Trcic Allo is a beautiful piece. I can't imagine how that pose would be possible without a metal rod, but maybe they imagined something I cannot. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: