News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

I remember the physical description of Velociraptor in the first book was mostly reptilian, reptilian skin, tongue, eyes. But the behavior was described as similar to birds, how they moved and walked was described as birdlike.

John

I must have a different edition of the Jurassic Park book because in mine,the raptors are identified specifically as Velociraptor mongoliensis.It's larger size than the real one is explained away by hinting that we just have not found the biggest individuals of that species yet.This along with a few dinosaur species turning out to be poisonous was part of the "you don't know what you are getting yourself into" theme.My edition also has Apatosaurus where other editions calls them Camarasaurus,so maybe that's where these differences are coming from?
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shadowknight1

Quote from: John on July 07, 2018, 05:09:55 PM
I must have a different edition of the Jurassic Park book because in mine,the raptors are identified specifically as Velociraptor mongoliensis.It's larger size than the real one is explained away by hinting that we just have not found the biggest individuals of that species yet.This along with a few dinosaur species turning out to be poisonous was part of the "you don't know what you are getting yourself into" theme.My edition also has Apatosaurus where other editions calls them Camarasaurus,so maybe that's where these differences are coming from?
I'm pretty sure my books say Apatosaurus too.  And the ones in the park ARE Velociraptor mongoliensis, and Grant remarks that he was excavating an antirrhopus.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Jose S.M.

My edition refers them as Apatosaurus except in one ocasion that someone calls them Camarasaurus. A maybe my edition was translated from one that call them Camarasaurus but they corrected it and that one slipped.

DinoToyForum

Are there really different versions of the book with different dinosaur names used?

Gwangi

I find it hard to believe that publishers would go through the entire book and edit out one genus in favor of another.

japfeif

Quote from: Takama on June 23, 2018, 05:34:09 PM
Spoiler
OkI saw the film again for the second day in a row(Who does that LOL)

"Why do the Carnivores not attack the herbivores?  it may seem like such a Dumb AWSOME BRO qustion, but i feel like these creatures were scared, and may have lashed out at others with all the chaos happening in that crammed little space"

[close]

Actually, that made perfect sense to me and I think you answered your own question a little. In nature, carnivores are't just mindless "killing machines" that kill just for the fun of it. Chasing down & engaging a herbivore in battle to obtain a meal is risky business and generally carnivores do not do this unless the need arises (i.e. they are hungry!). And especially, as you pointed out, all that chaos going on, I'm thinking the last thing on ANYONE'S mind was a quick meal!
And another point, reptiles (and dinos ARE still considered reptiles) do not need to eat as much as a similar-sized mammal, maybe a tenth as much, and even totally carnivorous hunter-types such as monitor lizards, tegus, and most snakes will usually totally ignore or even co-habitate (for a time) with their normal prey species if they are not hungry....almost as if if the need to eat isn't upon them, they do not even recognize prey animals as potential food.
(I hope this wasn't any kind of a spoiler...I didn't think it was..... :o)

John

Quote from: Gwangi on July 07, 2018, 10:37:16 PM
I find it hard to believe that publishers would go through the entire book and edit out one genus in favor of another.
You can look it up for yourself instead of just refusing to believe it.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Jose S.M.

I took these from my copy, is in spanish but the names are almost the same.

Here is in the species list that appears several times, calling them "Apatosaurios"

Then in text, also called apatos

And the one time they're called "Camarasaurios"

I was so bored today that I checked to see when they were called that, it's when they are talking about being two Tyrannosaurus, the small one can't be seen on cameras and someone say that maybe is trying to hunt the "camarasaurios".

Gwangi

Quote from: John on July 08, 2018, 01:41:19 AM

I'm not refusing to believe it, I'm just skeptical. I only have one copy of the book and in it they're Apatosaurus. It seems like a far fetched thing to do, a lot of unnecessary work. But hey, if you have a reference that supports your claim then feel free to share it.

Gwangi

Quote from: japfeif on July 08, 2018, 01:11:56 AM
Quote from: Takama on June 23, 2018, 05:34:09 PM
Spoiler
OkI saw the film again for the second day in a row(Who does that LOL)

"Why do the Carnivores not attack the herbivores?  it may seem like such a Dumb AWSOME BRO qustion, but i feel like these creatures were scared, and may have lashed out at others with all the chaos happening in that crammed little space"

[close]

Actually, that made perfect sense to me and I think you answered your own question a little. In nature, carnivores are't just mindless "killing machines" that kill just for the fun of it. Chasing down & engaging a herbivore in battle to obtain a meal is risky business and generally carnivores do not do this unless the need arises (i.e. they are hungry!). And especially, as you pointed out, all that chaos going on, I'm thinking the last thing on ANYONE'S mind was a quick meal!
And another point, reptiles (and dinos ARE still considered reptiles) do not need to eat as much as a similar-sized mammal, maybe a tenth as much, and even totally carnivorous hunter-types such as monitor lizards, tegus, and most snakes will usually totally ignore or even co-habitate (for a time) with their normal prey species if they are not hungry....almost as if if the need to eat isn't upon them, they do not even recognize prey animals as potential food.
(I hope this wasn't any kind of a spoiler...I didn't think it was..... :o)

Cold-blooded reptiles perhaps. Bird are reptiles too (by being dinosaurs) and they eat plenty.

japfeif

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on July 06, 2018, 12:24:00 AM
Would've preferred to see the Spinosaurus again. I agree the volcano erupting seems pretty much convenient for plot

Also was it mentioned that the dilo was just a juvenile on jp1? I could've remembered a mention of a family of them. That there were bigger ones. I think nedry also said something to the dilo about going back to play with her siblings

Yes, nearly every spoken or written conversation or article on the original JP mentions the lack of realism of the Dilopho on its size (as well as poison & the frill), how the actual animal was well over 20 feet long, etc., but very few sources ever seem to say (although I'm sure some HAVE) the very first thing I said myself when I first watched the original JP: "Oh, cool, a young one". But everyone seems to assume that all the animals you see are automatically adults.

And to be honest, although unlikely, it's not *impossible* that the Dilopho was able to spit poisonous saliva or even have a frill. The frill of modern Frilled Lizards isn't just soft tissue, but is supported by cartilaginous rods. Assuming a frill on a Dilopho would have the same structural makeup, and cartilage doesn't easily fossilize, it's possible a frill just hasn't been discovered yet (although there would probably be some kind of scar marks on the bones at the points where the rods would attach to the skull I guess...).

Syndicate Bias

Ah i wish they had shown an adult at least. Now everyone thinks they are small. Look at Ark for example, even Dino crisis 2 err...well does anyone know about the Herrerasaurus that was supposed to be in the park in JP1? Wouldve loved to see a Triassic Dinosaur on the big screen

John

Quote from: Gwangi on July 08, 2018, 03:07:23 AM

I'm not refusing to believe it, I'm just skeptical. I only have one copy of the book and in it they're Apatosaurus. It seems like a far fetched thing to do, a lot of unnecessary work. But hey, if you have a reference that supports your claim then feel free to share it.
You don't need me to look it up for you. It shouldn't be too hard to look up a Wikipedia article on the book at the very least (with the usual caveat of Wikipedia:always remember the information there is only as reliable as who puts it there)

Gwangi

Quote from: John on July 08, 2018, 05:37:40 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 08, 2018, 03:07:23 AM

You don't need me to look it up for you. It shouldn't be too hard to look up a Wikipedia article on the book at the very least (with the usual caveat of Wikipedia:always remember the information there is only as reliable as who puts it there)

Yeah, it's on Wikipedia, and the Jurassic Wikipedia. Both without citations. So as I said before, skeptical. Thought maybe you had a different reference that was more reliable.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: japfeif on July 08, 2018, 05:06:18 AM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on July 06, 2018, 12:24:00 AM
Would've preferred to see the Spinosaurus again. I agree the volcano erupting seems pretty much convenient for plot

Also was it mentioned that the dilo was just a juvenile on jp1? I could've remembered a mention of a family of them. That there were bigger ones. I think nedry also said something to the dilo about going back to play with her siblings

Yes, nearly every spoken or written conversation or article on the original JP mentions the lack of realism of the Dilopho on its size (as well as poison & the frill), how the actual animal was well over 20 feet long, etc., but very few sources ever seem to say (although I'm sure some HAVE) the very first thing I said myself when I first watched the original JP: "Oh, cool, a young one". But everyone seems to assume that all the animals you see are automatically adults.

And to be honest, although unlikely, it's not *impossible* that the Dilopho was able to spit poisonous saliva or even have a frill. The frill of modern Frilled Lizards isn't just soft tissue, but is supported by cartilaginous rods. Assuming a frill on a Dilopho would have the same structural makeup, and cartilage doesn't easily fossilize, it's possible a frill just hasn't been discovered yet (although there would probably be some kind of scar marks on the bones at the points where the rods would attach to the skull I guess...).
I had understood most reptiles (or perhaps birds) that are capable of spitting venom seem to have special teeth at the edge of their jaw to facilitate that action....I would assume that the fossil record for the dinosaur provides no such specialization or people would more readily accept the movie spitting version. As far as I know the dinosaur was not known for that type of special teeth? That for me would seem to rule out "spitting" as the animal is shown to do. The frill and size are both more speculative or at minimium much harder to state for certain, however.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: alexeratops on July 05, 2018, 07:57:15 AM
Quote from: John on July 04, 2018, 09:36:07 PM
Quote from: Papi-Anon on July 04, 2018, 09:24:46 PM
Quote from: John on July 04, 2018, 08:00:13 PM
[Maybe they could both be torn apart by a large group of Ceratosaurus,Allosaurus or anything else that isn't a T. rex.  >:D

Allo DID show up in this movie as a juvenile, and who's to say that one wasn't cloned from one of the larger specimens?
Gigantosaurus would be fun. Technically we've already seen two dinosaurs descended from Giga in the last two movies....
Spoiler
We actually saw more than just the juvenile Allosaurus this time,there was the large adult one that was hit and killed by the burning boulder that shot out of the volcano during the eruption scene as it was just about to attack the people in that rolling hamster ball looking ride in addition to the juvenile one in the cage during the auction scene.
[close]

I think that was the juvenile, they looked quite similar. If you look closely, the rock just knocks him down, but he does get back up. So I'm pretty sure that's the same Allo.

All the Dinosaurs in the stampede (except for Rexy due to good ol plot armor) died. The Baryonyx, Allosaurus, Sinoceratops, etc on the boat were others captured before or during the eruption.

Reptilia

On the Dilophosaurus size, I recall reading somewhere that it was a conscious plot choice to make it that small, basically because they didn't want the Dilophosaurus to steal the scene to the raptors. So what they ended up doing was roughly switching the sizes of the two, although the JP spitter was still bigger than an actual Velociraptor and the JP raptor smaller than an actual Dilophosaurus. I don't think any official source claims that the Dilophosaurus was meant to be a juvenile. And if you think about it, the frill and the venom have a more dramatic effect on an animal that's that small, because it almost looks harmless at that size, whereas an actual Dilophosaurus would have been taller than a human and scary enough at sight.

DinoToyForum

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. , thanks for the photos. Apart for the typos, one other significant difference is the last dinosaur in the list has changed. In my copy the last dinosaur is "Callovosaurs", whereas in your copy it is "Microceratops".

My edition is called the "Arrow edition 1991", "ISBN: 0 09 928291 7"  Other editions have different ISBN numbers and names, so it should be possible to document all the differences.

Reptilia

I have Callovosaurus too, and mine is a first edition printed november 1990. Maybe later, more recent pressings have some mistakes, it happens often when a book has been in print for decades and millions of copies are circulating. I don't think there's Camarasaurus mentioned anywhere on my copy either.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: