News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 29, 2017, 08:39:46 PM
exactly.  There is no interaction for one thing, they look more static than my models just sitting out in a field. The other thing, in the first film there was a blurry haze that felt natural, these are so crisp and clean you can count the scales. the background, with the Apato and Trike almost look like the same models just spaced evenly..not natural.

My thoughts exactly.  The CGI in JW was too clean and very unnatural feeling.  It was so good that it was bad, if that makes sense.

The animators were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should!

BlueKrono

I think animators nowadays are a little vain tbh. They put so many hundreds of hours of work into every scale and hair on their creations, and they seem insistent that every one be visible in the movie, resulting in a video game-like glow. Part of the brilliance of JP1 was that much of it was done at night and the cgi dinos were ALLOWED to be obscured by shadow just as real things often are at night. That's what made them nearly indistinguishable from the animatronics. 
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Takama

Loon

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 03, 2017, 04:39:31 AM
I think animators nowadays are a little vain tbh. They put so many hundreds of hours of work into every scale and hair on their creations, and they seem insistent that every one be visible in the movie, resulting in a video game-like glow. Part of the brilliance of JP1 was that much of it was done at night and the cgi dinos were ALLOWED to be obscured by shadow just as real things often are at night. That's what made them nearly indistinguishable from the animatronics.

I would think it's less the fault of the animators and more the fault of the directors/producers. I doubt animators in big budget, non-fully animated films have very little say in how much is shown. The bottom line, I think, is that the filmmakers know people care more about the dinosaurs than anything else.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on May 03, 2017, 09:58:32 AM

I saw these here and there on facebook,  they sort of look like the ride dinosaurs...or the Asian puppets/ suits you see. I'm not sure they are from JW2 or some company capitalizing on the hype.  If they are hopefully they are background set material. 

MLMjp

Those look really fake compared to what we are use to see in this franchise, like Blade said I hope they are not official or they are just background material that does not represent an actual dinosaur in the film.

Ok, I finally sit down and read as much as I could of this thread, and I wanna express my opinion regarding Jurassic World 2.

I loved Jurassic World, it was exactly what I wanted, what I needed. I needed another good Jurassic Park movie that could redeem the franchise after JP3. JW succeeded in what JP3 failed, in creating a fun and thrilling adventure. Which I think this movie is supposed to be, it is supposed to be a fun summer popcorn thriller. I think people disregard JW too much because they keep comparing it to the original, because it is not "fresh", "there is no wonder", "feels empty" or "it fails to capture the natural wonder of....." I do not think that it is supposed to do that. JW is like Pirates of the Caribbean, is about the fun, not about being a great and deep movie. And that is what both PotC and JW are, they are good adventure movies. And they do an awesome job being that.

Now after all that. To be honest, when this sequel was announced I was like: No. Jurassic World has already make the franchise great again. I do not need another movie, for me this could perfectly be the end of the JP film franchise, an awesome final act for my favorite franchise of all time. I do not need another movie to came in and ruin it again like JP3 did.

I must say, there´s a little bit of hope in me for this movie, the director has made some very good movies in the past, there are using more animatronics this time and Jeff Goldblum returns. But I am worried about how are they are going to handle all the Hybrid stuff. One of the good things about JW is that the hybrid story worked. It was believable and it was JUST ONE hybrid. We do not know how they will handle all of this but something is almost sure: there will be more hybrids and I do not know if I like that.

So, to summarice, I do not think we need another JW movie, the first one was everything that we needed. And I´m worried that they could ruin everything again. Although there is some light of hope. But at the end I think I am going to forget about JW2 until a trailer is released.

Quote from: Takama on May 03, 2017, 01:02:40 AM
I argue that Chappie and The Force Awakens are way better then Jurassic World(two movies that came out in the same year) and one of those films did better then JW while the other was forgotten about.

Of course Star wars is better (But Personaly I will take the JP franchise over it any day)
But Chappie?!
Sorry but both critics and audiences disagree:

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Nanuqsaurus

For those who don't want to watch the video: it's Carnotaurus, Baryonyx and Stygimoloch.

MLMjp

Something weird is happening. When someone post a video it says: Do click to use adobe flash player. And I do it, but the video does not appear after that and it is just an Empty post!! I cannot see videos posted in the forum in my computer.

BlueKrono

Quote from: MLMjp on May 03, 2017, 06:58:43 PM
Something weird is happening. When someone post a video it says: Do click to use adobe flash player. And I do it, but the video does not appear after that and it is just an Empty post!! I cannot see videos posted in the forum in my computer.

I can't see that there's an imbedded video there at all from my iphone.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Takama

Quote from: MLMjp on May 03, 2017, 06:11:55 PM
Those look really fake compared to what we are use to see in this franchise, like Blade said I hope they are not official or they are just background material that does not represent an actual dinosaur in the film.

Ok, I finally sit down and read as much as I could of this thread, and I wanna express my opinion regarding Jurassic World 2.

I loved Jurassic World, it was exactly what I wanted, what I needed. I needed another good Jurassic Park movie that could redeem the franchise after JP3. JW succeeded in what JP3 failed, in creating a fun and thrilling adventure. Which I think this movie is supposed to be, it is supposed to be a fun summer popcorn thriller. I think people disregard JW too much because they keep comparing it to the original, because it is not "fresh", "there is no wonder", "feels empty" or "it fails to capture the natural wonder of....." I do not think that it is supposed to do that. JW is like Pirates of the Caribbean, is about the fun, not about being a great and deep movie. And that is what both PotC and JW are, they are good adventure movies. And they do an awesome job being that.

Now after all that. To be honest, when this sequel was announced I was like: No. Jurassic World has already make the franchise great again. I do not need another movie, for me this could perfectly be the end of the JP film franchise, an awesome final act for my favorite franchise of all time. I do not need another movie to came in and ruin it again like JP3 did.

I must say, there´s a little bit of hope in me for this movie, the director has made some very good movies in the past, there are using more animatronics this time and Jeff Goldblum returns. But I am worried about how are they are going to handle all the Hybrid stuff. One of the good things about JW is that the hybrid story worked. It was believable and it was JUST ONE hybrid. We do not know how they will handle all of this but something is almost sure: there will be more hybrids and I do not know if I like that.

So, to summarice, I do not think we need another JW movie, the first one was everything that we needed. And I´m worried that they could ruin everything again. Although there is some light of hope. But at the end I think I am going to forget about JW2 until a trailer is released.

I argue that Chappie and The Force Awakens are way better then Jurassic World(two movies that came out in the same year) and one of those films did better then JW while the other was forgotten about.

Of course Star wars is better (But Personaly I will take the JP franchise over it any day)
But Chappie?!

Each person has diffrent tastes.          Just because the masses say a movie is crap does not mean that a person who enjoyed it has to say its crap too.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on May 03, 2017, 12:28:49 AM
[...]
I don´t want to argue about your subjective taste, but that strikes me as extremely harsh. I could name dozens upon dozens of movies that are in one way or another worse than Jurassic World and I only somewhat like that one. Any other reasons besides the "IN YOUR FACE!" attitude?

Well, I just was expressing my very own opinion and I do in now way disregard anyone for liking JW (not that this was said, just wanted to make my standpoint clear) and I totally understand positions as stargatedalek's "blockbuster popcorn fun".

For me, not liking popcorn, a movie needs to make sense in their own fictional world, so for example I do not especially like "Transfomers" (as Micheal Bay's influence has been mentioned), but within it's fictional universe it makes sense (when you accept the usual ammount of plot holes), however, JW tried to explain their dino creations with genetics same as sci-fi movies of the 50's and 60's always had some professor who explained in phantastic graphs how a certain thing happened - and the result was and is always pure in a way that it tries to explain something totally impossible with the rules and findings of recent and serious science. The overly aggressive behaviour of any carnivor in JW makes Giger's Alien look like a puppy, natural jungle floor seems to be even as a track bed for any kind of vehicle, creature's size is exaggerated to a measure that would render movement and in some cases its very existence physically impossible and pumps are worn throughout the movie in any given environement and situation (yes, I posted it before - when I knew the film only from teasers - but it's too good to not linking it again)....

So.... I really liked Chappie, somewhat "weakest" film of Blomkamp so far, but the best Sci-fi movie of 2015.

Rain

Quote from: Takama on May 03, 2017, 08:12:22 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on May 03, 2017, 06:11:55 PM

But Chappie?!

Each person has diffrent tastes.          Just because the masses say a movie is crap does not mean that a person who enjoyed it has to say its crap too.

Saying you enjoy a movie more is a lot different than saying a movie is better than the other. While it is big one, "Enjoy-ability" isn't the only factor critics consider when rating a movie. Jurrasic World is better than Chappie but that doesn't mean you can't find Chappie more enjoyable.

Takama

to me, rather or not a movie is good depends on the individual. ITs a Subjective thing.   That being said, Chappie still remains my second top film of 2015, and i only saw six movies that year, the worst of which i thoght was "The Good Dinosaur"

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4189.0

Doug Watson

Quote from: Takama on May 03, 2017, 09:58:32 AM

Someone please give that poor Stygimoloch some nostrils so it can breath  :))

Faelrin

So Carnotaurus is confirmed now? I remember when Horner had asked the audience, when I was at the Jurassic Outpost JW Exhibition event, if anyone was interested in that dinosaur, and I was hyped up. I just wonder how it will be done. I recall reading many times about how many wanted to see this one in the franchise (aside from the Kenner toys, and few game appearances), so I hope they don't muck it up too much. I'm sure anything will probably be better then the Disney Dinosaur ones at least (though that was how I learned of this dinosaur when I was still a child).

If that Stegosaurus is legitimate, then it gives me a little bit of hope at least for the herbivores, since it does sort of resemble the older TLW one. The dinosaur in the image next to it looks unfinished, or maybe its eyes are closed?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'm thinking (and hoping it isn't the case!) that the eyes and nostrils are going to be added later with CG. Unless they're just being used for distant or night shots.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Nanuqsaurus

I wonder why they chose Stygimoloch as a new dinosaur, it is so similar to (and probably the same animal as) Pachycephalosaurus.

Neosodon

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on May 05, 2017, 12:03:09 PM
I wonder why they chose Stygimoloch as a new dinosaur, it is so similar to (and probably the same animal as) Pachycephalosaurus.
Probably because of the more striking head gear. And maybe they thought it was smaller and cuter too. Pacycephalosaurus isn't exactly a name that will generate to much hype ether. No kid is going to stand up in the middle of the movie and be like "It's a Pachyceph-stuter-stuter-blah-blah-alosaurus!"  :))

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Neosodon on May 05, 2017, 03:48:25 PM
Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on May 05, 2017, 12:03:09 PM
Probably because of the more striking head gear. And maybe they thought it was smaller and cuter too. Pacycephalosaurus isn't exactly a name that will generate to much hype ether. No kid is going to stand up in the middle of the movie and be like "It's a Pachyceph-stuter-stuter-blah-blah-alosaurus!"  :))

I probably would have done that when I was a kid :P But Pachycephalosaurus is still much more famous than Stygimoloch, I don't think that name rings a bell by the major public.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: