News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Since I'm free from this kind of snobbery - and I have always seen JP movies just for what they are - I think that this new chapter will be freaking entertaining for me. The Baryonyx doesn't look bad actually, and Carnotaurus' head looks quite believable. Can't wait!

Pachyrhinosaurus

For anyone worried about the baryonyx skull shape there's a maquette at around 1:31 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZwEVruxbLY

It doesn't look long enough, nor does it have the crest, but it does have the notch on the upper jaw.

I think it would have benefited from those to distinguish it from other carnivores but seeing as nothing else is really accurate I can't say I mind it too much. The dilophosaurus had a scaled-down tyrannosaurus skull with crests so the baryonyx fits right in.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Loon

In a couple of shots, the combination of Bayona's hair and outfit makes him look like Spagett:

Jose S.M.

I watched the video and I liked some things, like the animatronics use and the more suspenseful approach that I hope it's maintained in the actual movie. I'm thinking Ian Malcom appearance will be just for that courtroom scene, I don't see him in the action, that can disappoint some people. But maybe I'm wrong.

Loon

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on December 06, 2017, 09:40:09 PM
I watched the video and I liked some things, like the animatronics use and the more suspenseful approach that I hope it's maintained in the actual movie. I'm thinking Ian Malcom appearance will be just for that courtroom scene, I don't see him in the action, that can disappoint some people. But maybe I'm wrong.
I think that scene might be at the beginning, they're probably talking about what to with the dinosaurs after the events of the last film, and they'll bring in Malcolm for an expert's opinion, and he'll give his two cents. There seem to be too many characters in this for Golblum to do that much; there's Owen, Claire, and Wu returning, as well as these new characters, like the new girl and guy, as well as the older man. That's a lot of characters squeezed in, as well as the dinosaurs, for him to be a big part.

PhilSauria

Hey, I'm on board. It's Jurassic Park not National Geographic - if people don't know what they are in for by now...well. I like the inclusion of more species, hopefully no more hybrids - aren't there enough awesome actual Dinosaurs to put in these things?! The animatronics are becoming so sophisticated by now that I for one won't mind their increased use here. Another positive for me is the ramping up of the suspense side of things, the Raptors in the kitchen and Tyrannosaur breakout were two of my highlights from the original.

Faelrin

So I saw a pic of the Carnotaurus (maquette I think?) on the JP reddit. I got to say, it kind of resembles the Rebor one with the color scheme the head has at least. I'm curious to see how they will make the rest of this one look. I'm expecting something like the Papo or Rebor models in terms of proportions. I'm really glad to see this one will make it in though. I wonder if they will have a toy for it. Anyways I won't be watching any more clips, except for the official trailer, and then nothing more after that, until the movie itself if it can be helped.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Arioch

They seriously can't even be bothered to get a Baryonyx right or at least make it look cool or unique. Its just a generic monsterized dinosaur from a generic syfy movie. These new creature designs are Schleich level of abominable. I know we don't have Stan Winston with us anymore but...damn...

Reptilia

Quote from: PhilSauria on December 06, 2017, 10:01:48 PM
It's Jurassic Park not National Geographic - if people don't know what they are in for by now...well.

Exactly!

Soopairik

Looks alright. Not too excited, tbh.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Reptilia on December 06, 2017, 11:15:55 PM
Quote from: PhilSauria on December 06, 2017, 10:01:48 PM
It's Jurassic Park not National Geographic - if people don't know what they are in for by now...well.

Exactly!
I don't think anyone was actually expecting accurate dinosaurs. The reason people are so disappointed is that we expected cool dinosaurs that would be similar in style to the franchise classics, which we are not getting. Instead we're getting a fat Baryonyx, a Stegosaurus with a disturbingly humanoid face, and more anorexic Pteranodon. The new dinosaurs aren't cool, the re-designs are particularly nasty, and it all plops together into "one great big pile of soft reboot gibberish".

Say what you will about JP///, I myself would call it a glorified spin-off that does little to nothing to advance the series plot or lore in any significant way, but it was consistent for the most part and never went out of its way to insult the previous films.

So clearly this movie is Trevorrow trying to prove he make an "environmental" JP movie better than TLW, which we already know he can't because he's decided to make it a PETARD anti-cap anti-science movie. I'd bet money JW3 is gonna be Owen getting trapped on an island.

Appalachiosaurus

I think Jurassic World's underwhelming CGI is a mix of Nostalgia goggles, duller designs, and different cinematography more than actual quality. I think the JW CGI is great, but when every dinosaur is the exact same shade of grey in a bright harshly lit field, it can look poorly made.

On a different topic, the Baryonyx looks a lot better from the side and in clear lighting:

Arioch

The only thing that has in common with a Baryonyx is that kink in the upper jaw, sort of. Problem is it doesn't even look that different from a raptor, and that's a lot of wasted potential for another dinosaur that you also wanna sell toys of. I mean all they had to do is replicate the Spinosaurus head from the 3rd movie and shrink it, maybe even put the crest that it should have if they feel adventurous >:D. That was atleast a recognizable spinosaur head. I'm with stargatedalek here, everything I've seen so far makes me feel nostalgic of bloody Jp III and their nighmare inducing brachiosaurs.  ::) The Carnotaurus doesn't look that bad, but the sculpt still has that cheap, phony vibe to it. Long gone are the times of organic, quality life like puppets and cgi in the JP franchise it seems.

suspsy

The Baryonyx looks like garbage, plain and simple. I will not be squandering my time and money on this guaranteed waste of a film.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

John

Quote from: Reptilia on December 06, 2017, 08:49:01 PM
Since I'm free from this kind of snobbery - and I have always seen JP movies just for what they are - I think that this new chapter will be freaking entertaining for me. The Baryonyx doesn't look bad actually, and Carnotaurus' head looks quite believable. Can't wait!
I know that I'm going to see it. :)
These movies are not and have never been documentaries after all!
If I can enjoy a movie with a premise as ridiculous as super powered people flying around in tights and capes,or Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone doing their thing,I can certainly enjoy something like this. ;)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 06, 2017, 11:39:32 PM
So clearly this movie is Trevorrow trying to prove he make an "environmental" JP movie better than TLW, which we already know he can't because he's decided to make it a PETARD anti-cap anti-science movie. I'd bet money JW3 is gonna be Owen getting trapped on an island.

You mean, like "The Lost World".  >:D

People, there hasn't been a good "Jurassic Park" movie since 1993. Get used to it. Ya'll are acting like the franchise is being run into the ground when "The Lost World" itself was a garbage pile followed up with an even worse sequel. I prefer "Jurassic World" over those two films easily.

Rain

Quote from: Gwangi on December 07, 2017, 03:30:56 PM

People, there hasn't been a good "Jurassic Park" movie since 1993. Get used to it. Ya'll are acting like the franchise is being run into the ground when "The Lost World" itself was a garbage pile followed up with an even worse sequel. I prefer "Jurassic World" over those two films easily.

I agree 100%. Not sure why people here are talking about the franchise going down hill. If anything, it went downhill after the original. Jurrasic World managed to bring it back up, slightly.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Gwangi on December 07, 2017, 03:30:56 PM

For however bad the pacing and character writing was in TLW it never explicitly attacked zoos, let alone pet owners, as Trevorrow has done in interviews. He lumped "the act" of zoos and of keeping pets to slavery and to actual animal cruelty.

I feel like people have a right to disagree with that assessment. For however mediocre the sequels were they never strayed into genuinely offending content (sexism before, anti-cap propaganda now), they maintained a consistent visual style of cinematography and of creature designs, and even the infamous JP3 fight never actively went out of its way to insult people who enjoyed the other movies as Jurassic World does.

And as for it being "just better as a movie" I will vehemently disagree there. The pacing was so terrible that it led to the movie having sexist overtones when (supposedly) it was meant to be some gibberish about reconnecting with nature, half of the main characters didn't need to be there and could have been written out of the script without impacting the plot at all, the returning designs from the original films meeting with the redesigns and new designs was jarring at best, and the cinematography was the same boring, overused aerial "super-shots" audiences should expect from a direct to DVD version of Transformers 16 starring Dwayne Johnson's stunt double.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Rexy does look a lot better here than in the early images we had over summer.  maybe it was the angle, lighting ect..but I didn't like it really. 

Early image

Was it ever determined what the dino in the back was?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 07, 2017, 05:01:34 PM

Was it ever determined what the dino in the back was?

Sure looks like Concavenator to me.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: